PDA

View Full Version : I don't post much...

PeterInSTL
11-18-2007, 10:10 PM
but I check in every other day or so to gain a little knowledge. Anyway I got into a bit of a fender bender the other morning on the way to work. Quoted $2700USD to fix. New hood and grille and some other bits.

I was looking at getting some of the parts myself to save some cash and I was on BMA. Does anyone have an updated Discount code? I did a search and dotinfo, DOTINFO, and bimmer.info no longer work.

The hood alone from body shop is $540!!

Also does anyone know where I can find an OEM nose panel 51131978880 ('91 525)?

Thanks and happy motoring

Jehu
11-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Check your area for used auto parts delaers aka Junk Yards... you may find the matching parts needing no painting then again... good luck.

uscharalph
11-19-2007, 02:24 AM
but I check in every other day or so to gain a little knowledge. Anyway I got into a bit of a fender bender the other morning on the way to work. Quoted $2700USD to fix. New hood and grille and some other bits.

I was looking at getting some of the parts myself to save some cash and I was on BMA. Does anyone have an updated Discount code? I did a search and dotinfo, DOTINFO, and bimmer.info no longer work.

The hood alone from body shop is $540!!

Also does anyone know where I can find an OEM nose panel 51131978880 ('91 525)?

Thanks and happy motoring

PeterInSTL
11-19-2007, 09:23 AM

Thank you

PeterInSTL
11-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Check your area for used auto parts delaers aka Junk Yards... you may find the matching parts needing no painting then again... good luck.

I will check the yards out...but I will not get my hopes up.

PeterInSTL
11-19-2007, 09:27 AM
I have found an aftermarket hood and nose panel, but I am hesitant to purchase them both. My dad was in the autobody business and I recall him hating the fit of most aftermarket parts. Has anyone had any experience with fitting aftermarket parts..times may have changed a bit?

Thanks

Tiger
11-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Buy used... check to see who has them... private and hopefully near you too so you can inspect and take it home with you. Much cheaper this way and all BMW parts.

BMWCCA1
11-19-2007, 01:08 PM
It's damn seldom a BMW gets totalled without front-end damage. Parted out by a repair shop when the cost of repair exceeds the value is a more likely scenario (cracked heads). I'm assuming you're in St. Louis; have you checked with the independent BMW shops in the area? The guy on Olive St. Road in U-City used to have a bunch of relics laying around. And remember, if you order from your local BMW dealer you won't have to pay shipping. The grille panel should be under $100 new, less if your dealer gives a BMW CCA discount or other discount. Never hurts to ask. Shipping body parts is an expensive pain in the butt.

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-19-2007, 06:41 PM
try spece30

BigKriss
11-19-2007, 07:31 PM
nobody on here has said you just email patrick from bma and tell him your a member on here

Ross
11-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Agree w/Tiger as long as it's not used aftermarket. Aftermarket as a last low cost resort.

PeterInSTL
11-19-2007, 10:09 PM
It's damn seldom a BMW gets totalled without front-end damage. Parted out by a repair shop when the cost of repair exceeds the value is a more likely scenario (cracked heads). I'm assuming you're in St. Louis; have you checked with the independent BMW shops in the area? The guy on Olive St. Road in U-City used to have a bunch of relics laying around. And remember, if you order from your local BMW dealer you won't have to pay shipping. The grille panel should be under $100 new, less if your dealer gives a BMW CCA discount or other discount. Never hurts to ask. Shipping body parts is an expensive pain in the butt.

Thanks for the reminder. I have actually been to the Dealer on Olive Street before...Bavarian Motors or something...I know some people that swear by the place, but I have looked at some of those cars and they look pretty beat-up. There is also another place in town that I will check...Bimmers R US in South City...I am about to make the call to the body guy tomorrow with my senerio of being able to procure most of the parts on my own...I guess I will see what he has to say. I don't want to piss him off after all he will still stand to make at least $1500 on the deal.

gmannino
11-19-2007, 10:31 PM
I purchased a new fender, front grill and headlight assembly for $250 dollars from various members online. I replaced everything myself and it looks new again. My hood is slightly damaged on the corner and i will either repair it at a shop or replace it with another white hood.

Most likely I will have a shop do it or do the body work myself.

///Sniper535
11-19-2007, 10:36 PM
I still have my narrow nosepanel/grill from when i did the wide grill conversion, just not the headlight grills, they are dirt cheaper like 10 bucks each somewhere on-line.