PDA

View Full Version : :: Removing... dash ventilation motor?

Qube
11-17-2007, 05:16 PM
So I get a squealing in the center dash. I know it's not tied to the climate control unit as it is a consistent sound no matter if the blower is on max or off... or even if the engine is off.

It's probably the ventilation motor that is seized? How would I get at it? Just unscrew the large center vent cover on the top?

Ross
11-17-2007, 06:38 PM
One of our Brit friends just posted about this. Barney paul I think. He did a little write up on it.

filip00
11-17-2007, 08:09 PM
it's annoying to remove. when you pop the hood, you must remove the wipers, and the plastics beneath them. then remove the rubber seal which goes around the hood space. then you have 2 screws which make the firewall between the vent and the motor. then some more screws and plastics to pull out. when you removed all that, you have some plastic piece you must unlock and then you release the ventilator cover. it's hard plastic, just pull it out. then you have the motor and the ventilators (2 round ones). you have one metal piece which holds it, you must unlock it and then unplug the motor, and presto, you've got it out.

Rus
11-17-2007, 11:10 PM
I think Qube is talking about the small fan that sits inside the HVAC dash control unit and supplies interior air to the cabin temperature sensor.

Qube
11-17-2007, 11:19 PM
I think Qube is talking about the small fan that sits inside the HVAC dash control unit and supplies interior air to the cabin temperature sensor.

Yes, that would sound more like it. It's definitely not the blower. I replaced that sucker too before.

Paul in NZ
11-18-2007, 01:44 AM
try blasting some wd 40 into the little grill???Might shut the little &^%$ for a bit?

Claude
11-18-2007, 08:01 PM
So I get a squealing in the center dash. I know it's not tied to the climate control unit as it is a consistent sound no matter if the blower is on max or off... or even if the engine is off.

It's probably the ventilation motor that is seized? How would I get at it? Just unscrew the large center vent cover on the top?

According to the Bently manual electrical diag. when the ignition s.w is not in either the start or run position the inside temp. sensor blower should not run. So if the engine is of and you still hear that source of noise should be something else. In my 535 since a long time i also have a sort of squealing like your's when ignition key is turn to accessories, it's coming from the right part of the dash the source come from the DME module (probably some sort of ventilation unit within the DME box). That' my thought.

Rus
11-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Are you sure its not the ECU Box fan making noise? That, I suspect, may run whenever the ignition is on.

Qube
11-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the lengthy reply, Claude!

I did a more detailed check, and there is no squealing with it in 1. Only when I go to 2 or ignition on does it squeal. Of course, it's not lasting... just an initial 1-2 minutes usually, if any.

Ferret
11-19-2007, 05:18 AM
One of our Brit friends just posted about this. Barney paul I think. He did a little write up on it.

Shows how much attention people pay to my write ups :P

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=35780

filip00
11-19-2007, 06:37 AM
i know. it must be the small ventilator on the climate control. there is one behind, mounted on it, so it would cool the temp. sensor for the cabin.

you gotta take the radio out, then simply stuck your hand inside the radio space, and bend your fingers downwards and push out the 3 vertical buttons for climate control - rear window heat - air circulation. the when you take that out, stuck your fingers in that hole, and on the left side you'll feel a tiny lever. push it on the left, and the whole line (climate and vent control) will pop a bit out. pull it out completely, and unplug everything. you will then see one plastic cover with a hole and a ventilator ;)

Qube
11-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Thanks Ferret / filip00!