PDA

View Full Version : Brake Job Tommorrow

uscharalph
11-17-2007, 02:54 AM
My brother, uncle and I are getting together to do a front brake job on my BMW. New Bremo rotors, Akebono Euro Ultra Premium Ceramic prake pads and I bought new brake lines and remanufactured NUGEON calipers in case they are needed (Otherwise I will return them). I also am going to flush the brake fluid and use ATE Super Blue brake fluid. I painted the hubs on the rotors to (maybe?) keep them from rusting. I have since seen that BMA carries a "BMW Cadmium Brake Kit" which prevents the rotor from rusting. maybe that was the way to go.

e34.535i.sport
11-17-2007, 03:34 AM
I replaced my front rotors a while back and put car wax on the hub areas... Its working pretty well!!!!

wingman
11-17-2007, 05:37 AM
I use aeronautical silicone grease on the outside of the rotors( obviously not on the braking area). I got this from a friend in the industry and it is the bomb for keeping the rust away. Be aware though that grease can gather dust.

brosher
11-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Don't forget to use plenty of caliper grease or "brake quiet" on the back of the pads.

uscharalph
11-17-2007, 05:43 PM
Don't forget to use plenty of caliper grease or "brake quiet" on the back of the pads.
Check and check! Things went very smoothly. I'm anxious to see how dustless the Akebono pads are.

Brandon J
11-18-2007, 12:08 PM
1. Do not use the goo and the shim/anti squeal shim. The Akebono should use the shim and these work very well and should not need brake goo.
2. Do not over tighten things because you don't want to strip threads.
3. Do you have a caliper piston expander? Get one. Do not use the break-in procedure as outlined by other sites.
4. These Akebono pads don't need the same break-in. I just do a simple break-in to burn off oil on the rotors. Then do braking as normal for the next few hundred miles. You won't get full braking potential from the pads for a little while.

5. Remove as much of the old fluid in the brake resoviour before putting in new fluid. If you spill brake fluid, rinse the area with water right away as the fluid will eat paint. The brake fluid is highly corrosive.

Enjoy the dustless pads with good braking.

Mendozart
11-19-2007, 11:03 PM
1. Do not use the goo and the shim/anti squeal shim. The Akebono should use the shim and these work very well and should not need brake goo.
2. Do not over tighten things because you don't want to strip threads.
3. Do you have a caliper piston expander? Get one. Do not use the break-in procedure as outlined by other sites.
4. These Akebono pads don't need the same break-in. I just do a simple break-in to burn off oil on the rotors. Then do braking as normal for the next few hundred miles. You won't get full braking potential from the pads for a little while.

5. Remove as much of the old fluid in the brake resoviour before putting in new fluid. If you spill brake fluid, rinse the area with water right away as the fluid will eat paint. The brake fluid is highly corrosive.

Enjoy the dustless pads with good braking.
1. Goo was used, Oh well.
2. Bolts were torqued to spec.
3. Used rebuilt calipers.
4. Brother is driving car.
5. Care was taken in extricating fluid.
All in all, easiest brake job I've ever done. Having my Uncle there (master BMW mechanic) to advise and instruct helped immensely.:D