PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Loewe LKM

Torque
11-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Posting here because it seems that nobody checks the classified section.

Seems that my HIDs somehow confuse my Hella unit and one will sometimes fail to fire ... I have read on another board that the Loewe unit doesn't have this issue.

Therefore I am looking for a Loewe LKM (LKM-B or LKM-L ... would prefer the "L", but will take the basic version).

Thanks all.

shogun
11-15-2007, 10:03 PM
There are other possibilities
http://www.bbesound.com/bmw/HIDinstall/

or

Low Beam Failure Fix
(RFix)
Price: $29.99
Sale Price: $19.99 http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=126

You can solve low beam warning in three ways - get ballast specially designed for it, get a resistor (I like this, see link above ) or even simple bulb or modify your LKM.

Torque
11-16-2007, 03:59 AM
I'm not having issues with the "low beam" warnign on the dash ... when they fire up (which is 9/10 times), I don't get the warning ... it's just that my LKM seems to not like the initial voltage draw of the HIDs for some reason and sometimes one side wont fire up ... and then I have to (very conviniently) shut the car off and turn it back on and then both lights fire up.

edit: I located a Loewe unit on ebay from a seller who just parts out random cars and didn't really know what he has (LKM for 25 dollars? Check).

shogun
11-16-2007, 05:21 AM
Or another problem. Just checked the manual from my HID conversion set, RISMA brand. That states:
if both lamps do not light at the same time or flicker, change the battery to more than 60 Ah since it results from a lack of electric power, or add relays to bear more than 15A, since it results from the lack of electric current (chinese translation to English, as the RISMA are made in China).
Make sure to change the fuse fir the headlight to at least more than 20A.
(this info/manual is in general, not especially meant for our cars!)

Have noticed that on a friends E32 750, he had a weak battery, and during that time he had probs that one or both lights did not start to burn immy.

Torque
11-16-2007, 10:33 AM
20A fuses? O_O Are you sure on that kind sir?

Wouldn't I be blowing the stock 7.5A fuses if they were the problem?

btw, My wiring has a fuse on the harness between the stock wiring and the ballast and that's a 10A, so even if I was to switch to 20A in the fusebox, I don't see how it would do anything.

The battery thing; I'm gonna check it later, but I'm pretty sure it's up to the job.

Tiger
11-16-2007, 10:58 AM
15 or 16A is all you need... do not go 20A.

Tiger
11-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Another tip... resolder that low beam relay joints on the PC board of LKM... I had the same problem with my Hella... it is the relay bad joint or bad contacts on the relay... clean them up.

Torque
11-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Another tip... resolder that low beam relay joints on the PC board of LKM... I had the same problem with my Hella... it is the relay bad joint or bad contacts on the relay... clean them up.I've thought about doing it, but wouldn't just one failing to turn on sometimes indicate something else in the LKM is not really functioning? I mean if 1 comes on, the relay is apparently working.

Oh well, we'll see how this Loewe one works when it gets here and if that doesn't solve the issue ... well, 2 LKMs can (I hope) be turned into 1 decent one. :D

Tiger
11-16-2007, 02:13 PM
I had the same problem... one turn on... other side doesn't. It is all the soldering and contact points on the relay. Very common problem and HID is more sensitive to the solder joint on the LKM.

Torque
11-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Same deal last night ... I resoldered all the relays today. We'll see how it works out.