PDA

View Full Version : One of the local towers here got hit by lighting, causing bimmer.info outage

Bimmer Nut Ed
05-18-2004, 09:48 AM
The Bimmer.info server connects to the Internet via radio communications to Cell Phone towers. It's not cell phone communications, it's more like Microwave Communications than anything else. But anyway, we had a nasty storm here last night and one of those towers got hit by lightning. But it seem's we're back online now. This reminds me to impelment by generator backup system. I already use UPS, but that only lasts so long.

Robin-535im
05-18-2004, 12:55 PM
The Bimmer.info server connects to the Internet via radio communications to Cell Phone towers. It's not cell phone communications, it's more like Microwave Communications than anything else. But anyway, we had a nasty storm here last night and one of those towers got hit by lightning. But it seem's we're back online now. This reminds me to impelment by generator backup system. I already use UPS, but that only lasts so long.

Maybe you can strap 6 or 7 alternators up to an old M30 and convert the output power to line-current to run the server. :) Then we'd all be able to help trouble shoot when it was down.

Except that the board would be down then too... So we wouldn't be able the chime in... Hmmm....

Jr ///M5
05-18-2004, 04:44 PM
Yup, it's tornado season here in the Midwest.....right now as I type this, there is one helluva storm headed our way. And Aubrey has graduation ceremonies tonight!!!

Stay safe for the next month or so, ed. It's the hail that concerns me, usually you only get struck by lightening once....=)

Hail on motorcycles is even worse! =)

Tiger
05-18-2004, 05:38 PM
Pick up one of those big permanent natural gas generator... with automatic switch... although you will have to do some fancy wiring work to specify which circuits in the house gets to be powered up by the generator.