PDA

View Full Version : Remove plug from end of rocker shaft - M20

myles
11-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Whats involved in removing the plug in the end of the rocker shafts on a M20 engine?

Do I destroy it, turn it, lever it, drill it? I can't find much info on it.

winfred
11-12-2007, 10:46 PM
leave it alone, theres nothing in there to **** with and if theres a **** load of crud inside of the shaft it can be gotten out with carb cleaner, a new plug is pretty much hammered into the hole but it's easy to **** up and if it spits the plug out you loose oil pressure, and if you mushroom the end of the shaft you either need to grind it down or a better choice insert the shaft from the other end of the head, they are directional but it's the same shaft on both sides, if you can't get the old shaft out clean it till it shines, engine degreaser and a garden hose works great for me and is part of every head i build, and lube it up good, if you get it clean enough and the shaft is not screwed up by a rebuilder you almost don't even need a hammer, a 3/8 drive extension makes a good tool to drive the shaft out, once you get a enough if it sticking out the other end of the head you can grab it with vice grips and twist/pull the shaft out, but only grab it by the first 1/2" and if at the front don't mess up the groove that the retainer drops into, and don't insert the grabbed end into the head first on reassembly

myles
11-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks Winfred. Shaft polishing for me tonight! :D