PDA

View Full Version : Dash warp/curl @ windshield - what to do?

RobPatt
11-12-2007, 06:03 PM
I'm cool w/it if it just stops the way it is.....

- Is there a way to prevent further shrinkage (assuming it's the vinyl shrinking..).

- what do you all do?

cheers,
Rob sends....

myles
11-12-2007, 08:37 PM
I don't know how to stop it, but the dash was redesigned at some point. Both are very similar in appearance. The early dash had a long slim opening on each side for the demister vent. The later one has some bridging between the front and back edges of the vent, though they are recessed a few mm below the top of the dash, still visible if you look in the vent. The later ones are much more resistant to warping out of shape.

I removed my dash pad to examine the problem and when the dash is removed it sits almost perfectly flat. The ducting that is attached to the underside of the dash is actually what pushes the dash out of shape. If you put some effort into positioning the dash and ducting more accurately on the heater box and mounting points it can be considerably improved.

RobPatt
11-12-2007, 09:25 PM
from your description think I have the latter style...

your removal of the dash and seeing that it was the ducts is encouraging, but I can feel the edge, right up against the window, curling up...

I may have to take it off myself to investigate. Was thinking maybe to just perforate/crack the main structure, (not cutting the vinyl) and see what I could fabricate up to keep it firm and flat against, from underneath. Perhhaps fasten somehow to a thin but wide (front to back) and long (left to right)strip of aluminum. Just a guess.

I don't know how to stop it, but the dash was redesigned at some point. Both are very similar in appearance. The early dash had a long slim opening on each side for the demister vent. The later one has some bridging between the front and back edges of the vent, though they are recessed a few mm below the top of the dash, still visible if you look in the vent. The later ones are much more resistant to warping out of shape.

I removed my dash pad to examine the problem and when the dash is removed it sits almost perfectly flat. The ducting that is attached to the underside of the dash is actually what pushes the dash out of shape. If you put some effort into positioning the dash and ducting more accurately on the heater box and mounting points it can be considerably improved.

Dave M
11-12-2007, 09:30 PM
One of less annoying, yet still annoying things I need to get to.

And I thought I was the only one,

Dave M

myles
11-12-2007, 09:38 PM
I wondered about doing that myself, but I couldn't quite figure out how to get it to attach to the dash properly.

So is yours warping up and/or down on the glass side of the vents or is the vinyl actually doing something wrong? I've only ever seen the warping, not a problem with the vinyl. I do remember seeing an E34 with a cracked dash some time ago, that wasn't pretty.

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Armor All to slow the shrinkage and future cracking.

The only way to fix it, is to remove the dash and reglue the cover.

I use DAP Weldwood Waterproof Resorcinol Glue for interoir reglue jobs.

This stuff works great on door delamination too.

dennyg
11-13-2007, 12:43 AM
I have a black 1990 dash and a tan 1992 dash both in perfect shape if you want to change it out. Email me and I will send pics..Denny

RobPatt
11-16-2007, 09:35 PM
i'm just dragging my feet beacuse not looking forward to pulling off the dash... and haven't seen a clear single write up on it... don't want to pull the center console, etc.... just kinda lazy....

I wondered about doing that myself, but I couldn't quite figure out how to get it to attach to the dash properly.

So is yours warping up and/or down on the glass side of the vents or is the vinyl actually doing something wrong? I've only ever seen the warping, not a problem with the vinyl. I do remember seeing an E34 with a cracked dash some time ago, that wasn't pretty.

RobPatt
11-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Resorcinol glue? what's that. no biggie. will keep it in mind whenever I get around to it. (a round tuit) ha ha...

thanks much.

Armor All to slow the shrinkage and future cracking.

The only way to fix it, is to remove the dash and reglue the cover.

I use DAP Weldwood Waterproof Resorcinol Glue for interoir reglue jobs.

This stuff works great on door delamination too.