PDA

View Full Version : M30 MAF conversion, current opinions?

e34.535i.sport
11-12-2007, 05:40 PM
This has been discussed extensively in the past I know, but i would hope some new light can be shed on the topic now it has been tried and tested for a longer period of time. I've researched the topic in detail on this forum and other sites and i'm 99% set on treating myself to the Miller MAF conversion for Christmas. I've looked into various other options and this seems to be the upgrade that mosts suits my needs/constraints.

I was just looking for some current info and opinions from those in the know... I.e If you have one is it a worthwhile upgrade taking the $520 price tag into account? I also know at first some wire splicing was required to fit it and I was wandering (and hoping) if now they have improved on this to plug straight in with an adapter as this I would feel much more secure with this (as I could easily change back to the original AFM if any problems arose)? Has anybody experienced any problems with the Miller MAF after installation?

I also noted that Mark D was planning on producing a similar conversion did anything come of that as I only hear of good things regarding his work? Mark?

All insights are much appreciated, as i'm really excited about this and seriously looking forward to it.

bahnstormer
11-12-2007, 07:02 PM
you can get more bang for your buck elsewhere

if you've exhausted all other upgrade paths then consider this one

BigKriss
11-12-2007, 07:17 PM
nick and martin are both running one with good results.

clevertd
11-12-2007, 08:42 PM
I installed one and had it dyno'd. 196whp/218whtq.

Martin in Bellevue
11-12-2007, 09:33 PM
The miller maf on my 535 isn't as good as the modern performance maf kit with Jim Conmforti chip. I suspect the miller chip doesn't advance ignition timing enough to allow the same pull. I also suspect that I'm the only person watching a wideband display with the miller maf. It isn't quite right at all times. It'll throw a check engine light every so often off load.
I regret buying my miller maf for full price. Supposedly, miller now offers an upgrade chip that advances the ignition timing. Why does the maf kit come with any less, when it is marketed as a performance upgrade?

The wiring needs the splicing because the maf sensor needs 12v, and the stock afm uses 5v supplied by the dme.

Jeff N.
11-12-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm with Martin. Until someone can prove they have a sorted maf setup that runs the correct a/f ratio and correctly compensates for temperature change, I'd look to pass.

I'm running the Pro-M kit...the one martin used to have and a wide band. It's a complete PITA to get the mixture right and then when the ambient air temp moves 20+ degrees F, the mixture's off again.

If anyone can make one work, it's Mark D. Hold tight until he decides to get one to market.

genphreak
11-13-2007, 07:01 AM
I'm with Martin. Until someone can prove they have a sorted maf setup that runs the correct a/f ratio and correctly compensates for temperature change, I'd look to pass.

I'm running the Pro-M kit...the one martin used to have and a wide band. It's a complete PITA to get the mixture right and then when the ambient air temp moves 20+ degrees F, the mixture's off again.

If anyone can make one work, it's Mark D. Hold tight until he decides to get one to market.Its not a huge spend given it is a quality product. I'm happy with the performance, but if the software isn't polished enough, it will be soon. I'll be pissed if they don't update the software should the old stuff not be optimal. However I've always planned to Megasquirt the car and that will tell all and (hopefully) allow me to make up for any obvious bugs.

I was friggin around with a bad AFM, so it was a no-brainer for me. The reason I want a Megasquirt is that I'll be able to run varying fuels- low octane is a lot cheaper here... it simply is not worth using a car that runs on anything better- its a tax problem.

clevertd
11-13-2007, 08:31 AM
I regret buying my miller maf for full price. Supposedly, miller now offers an upgrade chip that advances the ignition timing. Why does the maf kit come with any less, when it is marketed as a performance upgrade?

Where did you hear this? I bought the MAF when it first came out at intro pricing, something like $350USD. I posted about timing advance on their forum. I've been wanting to get a wideband installed with it, should happen soon.

Martin in Bellevue
11-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Where did you hear this?..
http://millerperformancecars.com/catalogue/363.html
Miller MAF Chip: Octane upgrade

Price per Unit (piece): $75.00

MAF Software Upgrade:

Octane Levels

Already have our MAF system? Are you wanting to change the octane of fuel you use in your car? You have the choice to run any normally available octane gas. We have software for 87, 89, 91 and 95 octane.

For $75.00 you get the requested octane chip sent to you and you can keep your old one if you ever want to switch back! However, if you plan on running a different octane for good, you can send back your old chip once the new one arrives and you will only be charged $50.00

wjbell
11-13-2007, 11:47 AM
http://millerperformancecars.com/catalogue/363.html
Miller MAF Chip: Octane upgrade

Price per Unit (piece): $75.00

MAF Software Upgrade:

Octane Levels

Already have our MAF system? Are you wanting to change the octane of fuel you use in your car? You have the choice to run any normally available octane gas. We have software for 87, 89, 91 and 95 octane.

For $75.00 you get the requested octane chip sent to you and you can keep your old one if you ever want to switch back! However, if you plan on running a different octane for good, you can send back your old chip once the new one arrives and you will only be charged $50.00

Kinda steep for customers that already bought the MAF kit for ~$300-400.

e34.535i.sport
11-13-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm kinda glad and sad I posted this thread at the same time... I wouln't really want to be buying something and then buying upgrades for it, really I'd expect it to come complete if you know what I mean?

I haven't installed any upgrades as yet so this will be my first, I've been busy getting the car running at its best first as a lot of the suspension components had gone south when I bought it. My main constraint is money, with a budget of £250. I considered a chip but felt that from what I'd read the MAF would give the most noticable improvement in power/throttle response for that kind of money? I hear that the EAT chip is excellent value for money and obviously a very polished product. However I know this removes the speed limiter and increases the rev limit which will give more high end power but I'm not one for over revving the engine if I'm honest. Really I'd want some more low end and mid range power and the miller site suggests these are some of the gains the MAF will provide. I've been under the impression that a chip wouldn't really give me what i'm after otherwise i'd buy one tomorrow. Am I right in what i'm saying?

I installed one and had it dyno'd. 196whp/218whtq.

Sorry can you dumb this down a little for me please?! :p

Thanks for all the responses so far...

MarkD
11-14-2007, 07:50 PM
This has been discussed extensively in the past I know, but i would hope some new light can be shed on the topic now it has been tried and tested for a longer period of time. I've researched the topic in detail on this forum and other sites and i'm 99% set on treating myself to the Miller MAF conversion for Christmas. I've looked into various other options and this seems to be the upgrade that mosts suits my needs/constraints.

I was just looking for some current info and opinions from those in the know... I.e If you have one is it a worthwhile upgrade taking the $520 price tag into account? I also know at first some wire splicing was required to fit it and I was wandering (and hoping) if now they have improved on this to plug straight in with an adapter as this I would feel much more secure with this (as I could easily change back to the original AFM if any problems arose)? Has anybody experienced any problems with the Miller MAF after installation?

I also noted that Mark D was planning on producing a similar conversion did anything come of that as I only hear of good things regarding his work? Mark?

All insights are much appreciated, as i'm really excited about this and seriously looking forward to it.

As you may know, I developed a MAF conversion for the Metric Mechanic
M20b32. They have finally shipped up the mechnical parts I need to develop a system for the M30. (it arrived with a customer who was there 2 weeks ago). I have to go pick it up, and then start development of the M30 conversion. The one thing I will say about whatever I develop, it will be much more than $500. Just the parts are over that amount. It will probably have to sell for $900. Metric Mechanic has set the price of the MAF conversions they have sold so far at around $950.

MarkD

wjbell
11-14-2007, 11:30 PM
As you may know, I developed a MAF conversion for the Metric Mechanic
M20b32. They have finally shipped up the mechnical parts I need to develop a system for the M30. (it arrived with a customer who was there 2 weeks ago). I have to go pick it up, and then start development of the M30 conversion. The one thing I will say about whatever I develop, it will be much more than $500. Just the parts are over that amount. It will probably have to sell for $900. Metric Mechanic has set the price of the MAF conversions they have sold so far at around $950.

MarkD

Wow. No disrespect intended... but I thought your original quote of $750 was gettin up there for a MAF with, although better characteristics, minimal HP gains. Really, not trying to be disrespectful here, but if you're going to plonk down a grand, you might as well just spend two grand and find a nice used turbo setup... or chip it for $250 and be done with it.

From the reputation of your EAT chip, your MAF system would probably be nice too. But if I was in the market for a lower to mid end upgrade between a chip and a MAF, considering price and HP increase , I'd choose the chip. If I was in the market for a mid to high upgrade, I'd choose a FI solution. I mean, if you're gonna spend $1000 for 40 HP, you might as well spend ~$2000 for 200 HP right?

MarkD
11-14-2007, 11:38 PM
Wow. No disrespect intended... but I thought your original quote of $750 was gettin up there for a MAF with, although better characteristics, minimal HP gains. Really, not trying to be disrespectful here, but if you're going to plonk down a grand, you might as well just spend two grand and find a nice used turbo setup... or chip it for $250 and be done with it.

From the reputation of your EAT chip, your MAF system would probably be nice too. But if I was in the market for a lower to mid end upgrade between a chip and a MAF, considering price and HP increase , I'd choose the chip. If I was in the market for a mid to high upgrade, I'd choose a FI solution. I mean, if you're gonna spend $1000 for 40 HP, you might as well spend ~$2000 for 200 HP right?

My $750 price was an estimate that I made before I calculated what the cost to make this was. A few months ago the guys at Metric Mechanic told me what the cost just in parts is and it really is high. (including parts that must be fabricated). Just the MAF is over $200. The profit margin is not as high as I was expecting, unless I manage to get the cost down somehow. But there are quite a few people with MM motors who are happy to pay the price. Once you drive one of the cars with this MAF setup, youl'll understand why. But yes I agree it's on the high side.

BigKriss
11-14-2007, 11:43 PM
also you will never 200 hp for ~$2000.

wjbell
11-15-2007, 12:07 AM
also you will never 200 hp for ~$2000.

Ok... $2600 for 100+ HP starting point.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=865524&highlight=tcd

BigKriss
11-15-2007, 12:17 AM
still you need an exhaust and fuel injectors. possibly other gauges to monitor the turbo system then you need to install it. It's not looking too cheap now is it? Together with the fact there is no intercooler. I can't understand why members on here think it's so cheap to turbocharge an e34. If it was, a lot more members on here would be doing it to 19 year old and younger cars.

You will never get 200 hp more for ~$2000.

Ok... $2600 for 100+ HP starting point.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=865524&highlight=tcd