PDA

View Full Version : Lumbar support not inflating....

Keith
11-12-2007, 02:16 AM
Anyone ever have this happen?
I push the "inflate" button and nothing, could it be the switch, is there something under the seat that could be bad?
I tried checking the fuses and they all seem fine.

THOUGHTS??????

Jehu
11-12-2007, 03:23 AM
Sport seats.....mmmmm

shogun
11-12-2007, 05:38 AM
There is nothing to inflate, it is just a motor which turns the support. Usual problem is that the lumbar support is seldom used/adjusted and motor gets stuck. Use a plastic hammer/mallet and hit the motor several times to get it lose again.

You say you have checked the fuses and that everything seems to be fine. Why not use a multimeter and check actually if their is power. Testing for facts is better than believing.
If such a DMM is too expensive, use a old bulb, solder 2 wires on it and that is your testing device for power, works great.
Bulb on = power o.k., no bulb on = no power.

Keith
11-12-2007, 11:47 AM
There is nothing to inflate, it is just a motor which turns the support. Usual problem is that the lumbar support is seldom used/adjusted and motor gets stuck. Use a plastic hammer/mallet and hit the motor several times to get it lose again.

You say you have checked the fuses and that everything seems to be fine. Why not use a multimeter and check actually if their is power. Testing for facts is better than believing.
If such a DMM is too expensive, use a old bulb, solder 2 wires on it and that is your testing device for power, works great.
Bulb on = power o.k., no bulb on = no power.

Sorry, I assumed it was air driven, but lowell has enlightened me otherwise.
I will be taking things apart today, hopefully.

Keith
11-12-2007, 07:03 PM
I will be taking things apart today

Well, I took the back of the seat off and tapped the motor a couple times (per Shogun's advice) and SHAZAAM it's working again.

THANKS SHOGUN!

It was nice to see how the whole mechanism works, thanks lowell (Kalevera) for the write up and pictures, it helped me understand how this thing works, not "air pressure" its all mechanical.

I'm good to go for a drive now and my back won't be killing me!

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

shogun
11-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Glad it worked, but where is the write-up of lowell?

Keith
11-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Glad it worked, but where is the write-up of lowell?

From what I gather, lowell and Kalevera are the same person, lowell's name is in the pictures.

Here's the link: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=29635

shogun
11-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Yes, same person.
For that pic I was looking for but could not find it to show you, thanks
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/suzpectx/lumbar1.jpg

Eagle
11-12-2007, 11:59 PM
My 535i lumbar support wasn't when i got it, turned out the harness connector contacts just needed a clean and she was all go.