PDA

View Full Version : idling louder / higher

gymkata
11-11-2007, 08:26 PM
I've noticed lately that the car idles at higher RPMs than it should closer to 2700 when I put it into park mode. Never seen it go so high. Eventually it goes down. I've had valve noises that have progressively gotten louder. Taken into BMW shops before and they've told me not to worry about it.
Got a 95 525i auto..
Any suggestions? Anyone seen similar issues?

Ross
11-12-2007, 08:44 AM
You took your car to a shop with it idleing at nearly three grand and they said "don't worry about it"?
Where did you go? Jiffy Lube?
As you yourself have figured that's way too high, especially when you need to put it into gear, ouch.
A vacuum leak or idle control valve are your most likely suspects, but check to see that the throttle is closing all the way and the linkage isn't binding .

e34.535i.sport
11-12-2007, 04:32 PM
I would be seriously concerned if the 5er was idling at those sort of rpms, it sticks at a steady 700rpm at all times... Follow Ross' advice and you won't go far wrong, but i'd get it checked elsewhere.

RobPatt
11-12-2007, 05:35 PM
shouldn't be like that either. recommend run some cheap thin oil for a 100 miles or so and maybe some oil/engine type cleaner w/it... then drain, fill w/another fill of cheap oil and run a little farther.... you're trying to clean out any crud, but slowly and genltly.... then fill with a quality synthetic, i'd say Mobile 1 5w30 or even 0w40.

got to get the lifters pumped up. some folks are fine with thinner oils (like me) while others don't get the noises to go away until running heavier (15w50) weights...

just my 2 cents.

and the idle's jacked... see Ross' note.

I've noticed lately that the car idles at higher RPMs than it should closer to 2700 when I put it into park mode. Never seen it go so high. Eventually it goes down. I've had valve noises that have progressively gotten louder. Taken into BMW shops before and they've told me not to worry about it.
Got a 95 525i auto..
Any suggestions? Anyone seen similar issues?

gymkata
11-12-2007, 10:03 PM
You took your car to a shop with it idleing at nearly three grand and they said "don't worry about it"?
Where did you go? Jiffy Lube?
As you yourself have figured that's way too high, especially when you need to put it into gear, ouch.
A vacuum leak or idle control valve are your most likely suspects, but check to see that the throttle is closing all the way and the linkage isn't binding .

What I meant was that the valve noises weren't worth fixing. Didn't take it in for the higher RPMs. How do you check to see if the throttle is closing / linkage binding? Seems like perhaps the throttle gets stucks a bit perhaps..

Ross
11-13-2007, 07:53 AM
You can see the stop for the throttle blade on top of the throttle body towards the front, there is an allen head set screw for the position. It should rest against the screw at idle.
There is also a cable (the little one) for the cruise control you can disconnect if you suspect trouble there.
Check that all the clips retaining the cables are in place and not popping out of the bracket holding the throttle open.