PDA

View Full Version : Hi all- new to the forum- AM radio interference

Andy
05-17-2004, 09:04 PM
Hi- I'm a month into my 1995 525i. I have always wanted one since my Dad bought a 320i in '78. He let me take it to the prom. If only he knew...
He got 280k miles out of it.

One problem I have with the car is that the AM radio whines with the RPMs, or the windows operating, or anything electric, including any powerline in sight. No such problem with FM, cassette, or CDs. In the good 'ol days you could buy some gizmo to put on the battery terminal, or something like that. Is this likely a bad ground? Have to take the radio out? Anyone know?

Thanks- Andy

RobPatt 93 525ia
05-17-2004, 09:11 PM
I'd say it's a ground issue, yes, allowing more interfering w/AM is more prone to. Is it only on one station, or only in one area, or city and country alike? Is it a factory stereo? If not, I'd say check the grounds; if so, I'd get a Bentley's and check all the grounds. Good luck and happy motoring!
Rob sends...

Hi- I'm a month into my 1995 525i. I have always wanted one since my Dad bought a 320i in '78. He let me take it to the prom. If only he knew...
He got 280k miles out of it.

One problem I have with the car is that the AM radio whines with the RPMs, or the windows operating, or anything electric, including any powerline in sight. No such problem with FM, cassette, or CDs. In the good 'ol days you could buy some gizmo to put on the battery terminal, or something like that. Is this likely a bad ground? Have to take the radio out? Anyone know?

Thanks- Andy

Andy
05-17-2004, 09:29 PM
I'd say it's a ground issue, yes, allowing more interfering w/AM is more prone to. Is it only on one station, or only in one area, or city and country alike? Is it a factory stereo? If not, I'd say check the grounds; if so, I'd get a Bentley's and check all the grounds. Good luck and happy motoring!
Rob sends...

Thanks- Yes it's the factory radio. All the time. When I first start the car there is a rythmic interference. Having read posts back to March, I would guess it is probably all those air doors opening and closing. (smile) The only change I notice is that as the car warms up, the interference gets quieter.

The 5 speed was hard to find. If only the 540 had come so equipped. What's up with that, anyway. How can an "Ultimate Driving Machine" even have an automatic transmission? :p

RobPatt
05-17-2004, 09:37 PM
I've got the slushbox too (auto trans).

I'm not an expert, but wouldn't hurt to check all grounds, locations found in the bentley manual. could always try cleaning/reattaching your battery terminals first...?

I guess the folks with the $$ to buy these gems new are more inclined for the a/t....

I'm out of ideas if that doesn't work, but others will chime in, in a day or so.
Good luck,
Rob.

Thanks- Yes it's the factory radio. All the time. When I first start the car there is a rythmic interference. Having read posts back to March, I would guess it is probably all those air doors opening and closing. (smile) The only change I notice is that as the car warms up, the interference gets quieter.

The 5 speed was hard to find. If only the 540 had come so equipped. What's up with that, anyway. How can an "Ultimate Driving Machine" even have an automatic transmission? :p