PDA

View Full Version : Clunk sound front passanger side

begeta50
11-11-2007, 08:55 AM
For the last two week, I notice a clunk noice at front side passanger side.
Can some one give me and idea what it could be.
Thanks

E34-520iSE
11-11-2007, 11:47 AM
It could be a few things....I think the anti roll bar link would be the first thing I'd check out.

HTH,

Shaun M

Sam-Son
11-11-2007, 01:03 PM
End links

e34.535i.sport
11-11-2007, 02:12 PM
More info would be helpful to diagnose the problem as many things can cause a clunk at the front end... Is it over bumps or around corners or on rough surfaces or at certain speeds? Possible contributers are the sway bars links as suggested, thrust arms/control arms (balljoints or bushes), tie rod end balljoints or even shock mounts. If you've replaced any of these recently check all nuts/bolts are still torqued correctly. The nuts on my end links came loose after a while and made a terrible knocking noise over rough surfaces.

Sam-Son
11-11-2007, 02:19 PM
what happened with mine was that I had no problems with the endlinks and it wasn't til everything was moved around to replace the CA bushings that I found out they were worn. It seems every time I replace something I find out theres more stuff that also needs replacing. Get it up on a rack and give the endlinks a good shove see if they're loose.

begeta50
11-11-2007, 09:44 PM
I can hear the clunk sund only over bump or path holes.
I can drive my car over 70 mph and no sounds but a soon as go over a path hole at 5 mph the sound is preaty loud.

e34.535i.sport
11-12-2007, 12:09 PM
I can hear the clunk sund only over bump or path holes.
I can drive my car over 70 mph and no sounds but a soon as go over a path hole at 5 mph the sound is preaty loud.

Grrr i just wrote a long detailed replay for you and somehow its disappeared... Anyways from what you say it sounds like you could well be looking at replacing the sway bar links (which is cheap and relatively easy to do yourself)... Jack up the car and check the links visually - there will be a long sort of thin bar stretching from one side of the car to the other and it will be connected to the car at both ends by some long vertical metal pipes with round ends. The ends actually have balljoints in, these can make a hell of a noise if they're toast. Have a look and try to move them around a bit with your arm - you'll probably be able to tell if they're gone. If they look and feel ok check that the nuts and bolts etc connecting them to the chassis are torqued correctly. If they're loose it'll be noisy.

While you're there check the lower and upper control arm balljoints are good using a pry bar to try and move them in a vertical sense. If there's give then they need replacing. Also grab hold of the tie rod ends and see what movement you can get on them, as mine where really bad when i checked. The balljoints where really loose and could be moved freely. A good way fo checking for looseness on the lower control arm balljoint is to jack it up and keep the wheel on. Then grab the wheel at 3 o'clock and 8o'clock and try to wiggle it around. If the wheel can be moved around a lot you know you've got some greasy saturday mornings ahead! :D

If you are brand new to this and need any other help diagnosing then let me know and i'll try and get some pics on for you... re what to check and where it is. If you find out what it is let us know! There will probably be some good write-ups on how to change most of the items above, if not i'll get on it as soon as i get chance, good luck on the diagnosis!