PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Access The Battery In A Touring?!

Panzer Captain
11-10-2007, 08:00 PM
I know it's under the back seat.

But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get under the back seat.

The Bentley manual describes it very poorly.

Anyone?

Thanks!

bubba966
11-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Grab the seat bottom and lift up. Might want to do it on one side first as it's held in place at 2 points, one on each side. It can be a bit easier to lift the seat out if you do one side at a time. Just give it a good yank and it'll come up...

Panzer Captain
11-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Grab the seat bottom and lift up. Might want to do it on one side first as it's held in place at 2 points, one on each side. It can be a bit easier to lift the seat out if you do one side at a time. Just give it a good yank and it'll come up...

I tried that but it feels like it's really bolted down, as if it's not supposed to be pulled up. I don't want to break it... ?

Torque
11-10-2007, 08:23 PM
I tried that but it feels like it's really bolted down, as if it's not supposed to be pulled up. I don't want to break it... ?You won't break it. Give it a good jerk up, one side at a time. The anchor points are on the front of the seat, on both sides.

Panzer Captain
11-10-2007, 08:28 PM
And then to put the seat back in, I just push it down hard?

filip00
11-10-2007, 08:31 PM

nope, you must remove the transmission and rear wheels :D

what a question, of course, just give it a good punch down and that's it :)

bubba966
11-10-2007, 08:37 PM
As has been said you won't break it. Just yank it hard and it'll come.

You just need to make sure that the back of the seat bottom is tucked under the seat back a bit and that you've got it as far back as it'll go. Then push it down with some serious force, or hop on the seat over top of the two securing points to get them back down.

It'll make sense once you pull the seat off and see it all.

Panzer Captain
11-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Ok - thanks fellas for all the help!

attack eagle
11-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Don't forget teh seat belt latch trim. as soon as you pop the seat loose they will pop loose.

take them out before removing the seat.

when reinstalling, put the seat in fully, and tilt each seatback as you tilt and reinsert the trims back over the seat belt latches.

leicesterboy15
11-11-2007, 04:40 AM
Aren't you doing the engine and tranny swap? Are you saying that you can swap a tranny, engine and all related bits but you can't get to the battery?! :p

Is this the 1st time you've had to access the battery through the swap?

Well I can get to my battery without a problem :D attack_eagle is exactly right, just pull and keep the faith and watch those seat belt trims!

Now all I need to do is learn how to change the engine and tranny :( !

I want to do the 6 speed swap but I wouldn't have a clue where to start so sadly I am going to have to pay someone else (when I get some money!).

BTW how is the project going?

attack eagle
11-11-2007, 05:20 AM
who panzer or me?

I have all the necessary electrical mods done, just waiting on the complete 5speed driveline to arrive (ETA tuesday) so I can clean everything and swap it in.

leicesterboy15
11-11-2007, 05:50 AM
Attack_Eagle - Sorry should have said, I was talking about Panzer. I didn't realise you were doing one as well! I've seen you're car before on the web and thought it was beautiful with nice mods, I never realised it was yours though until I used your link just now.

So I take it you are doing all the work yourself then?

Panzer Captain
11-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Aren't you doing the engine and tranny swap? Are you saying that you can swap a tranny, engine and all related bits but you can't get to the battery?! :p

Is this the 1st time you've had to access the battery through the swap?

Well I can get to my battery without a problem :D attack_eagle is exactly right, just pull and keep the faith and watch those seat belt trims!

Now all I need to do is learn how to change the engine and tranny :( !

I want to do the 6 speed swap but I wouldn't have a clue where to start so sadly I am going to have to pay someone else (when I get some money!).

BTW how is the project going?

Haha - yes, I'm doing a 4.0 + 6Spd swap :D

I need to take the cables off the battery so I can pull everything out of the 530iT --- the 4.0 + 6Spd is already sitting on a cradle, out of the car, with a new clutch and rear main seal.

attack eagle
11-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Attack_Eagle - Sorry should have said, I was talking about Panzer. I didn't realise you were doing one as well! I've seen you're car before on the web and thought it was beautiful with nice mods, I never realised it was yours though until I used your link just now.

So I take it you are doing all the work yourself then?
Yeah, not going to be that bad.
Hoping I can get some lift time, swap the pedal box ahead of time, and get the trans one one day.
Then run it a week or two to make sure all is well on the 4.10 for Shh and giggles while I reseal the 3.23. Then I'll go back and swap the correct diff in.