PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Chip?

Roderick
11-10-2007, 05:03 PM
I'm interested in the tranny chip for my 95 540i. but what difference will it make when I put the car in the S4 mode. It makes the car change at higer rpms, so what is the need for the chip!

bubba966
11-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Do you have stock software?

As far as I know it only really does anything if the rev limit has been increased. For example, if you've got performance software that increases the rev limit to 7k from 6.5k (I think that's the stock rev limit) the tranny even in S4 will still shift at 6.5k.

I'm pretty sure that the software in my car now has a 7k limit, but the tranny will shift at 6.5k or a little sooner in S4. I've got the tranny chip sitting around. And I should install it sometime.

But as far as I know there's absolutely no use for the tranny chip unless you've got performance engine software. Apparently there wasn't much that could be done with the tranny software other than getting it to allow higher RPM shifts than stock when the rev limit was rasied. I'm kinda disappointed that I found out that the shifts weren't going to be any firmer after I dropped $200 on the chip as that's what I was looking for.