PDA

View Full Version : Is my radio fried or can i fix it?

Jehu
11-10-2007, 12:07 PM
When i got my car back the radio came right on. It didn't occur to me right then the shop failed to disconnect the negative battery cable before removing my headlights to paint but they later confirmed they did not do that. I attempted to change from the playing CD to another using the number buttons but it did not respond. It would also not respond to the Track selector button. I disconnected the battery last night for over an hour, reconnected it, input the correct code correctly and its still behaving bizarrely. Sometimes pressing the Tone controls sends it to Weather band sometimes if i hit the track selector it will change other times not or not till after many times pressing it. Changes CDs but not always to the one for the button pressed and other similar malfunctions. Will i find this behavior corrected if i leave the car on start for an hour or something, thought i read about doing that..

I think I'm gonna just buy this $99.99 plus shipping on ebay.

That is my picture of my unit i sent him displayed on his screen and his radio he will send me. he didn't think the Alpine unit would work with the pioneer changer but i told him that was my set up and it works fine.. not sure what he means..
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/8563/radio1kc4.png

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7240/radio2oj2.png

Russell
11-10-2007, 03:11 PM
I have an Alpine 5 head unit (without weatherband) that had an alpine changer. Changer has since been replaced by a pioneer unit and works fine. BMW sold both changers for 95s per my radio manual that came with the car. Hope this helps.

Jehu
11-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Well I already know my unit is an Alpine 5 and the Cd changer is a Pioneer and they work together. This guy sells a lot of these units on ebay and when he said I'd need a Pioneer head unit if i had a Pioneer CD Changer i didn't want to flat out tell him he was wrong but I asked him to simply take another picture of that Unit with the Radio Type displayed. Since he can evidently power them up at his work station there I reminded him of the way to get that to read out by holding the "-" button with the Program button simultaneously but I've yet to hear back.. If my radio is beyond repair I do hope this is the right unit. It looks exactly like mine ,even in better condition. I contemplated going with the CD43 but i find the weather band very useful and the Ipod link thing seems to have issues as well as being a substantially larger expenditure. I only hesitate because i believe there are several radio types which all look the same including the WB button.. If I'm wooing then i need not hesitate any longer.

Ross
11-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Did the shop weld on your car? Maybe that goosed the old radio.
$99 + seems a lot for the radio, keep looking and I bet you find a better price.

Jehu
11-10-2007, 08:13 PM
I don't know that there was any reason to weld but any thing's possible. Someone suggested they may have drained the battery killing a cell pointing out what i describe happens in that instance too. The mileage light in the cluster is out now too so weather that was from burning out after being on too long or from a surge somehow touching an active head light plug or socket to the body maybe.. who can say.. I think i want to stick with the original and that unit if correct looks better than the one i have now so i don't think i'd find a better looking one for much less. I'll keep my eyes open. I did call Euro Depot who said they're getting an e34 in next week they'll check it. but there are other shops i;ve checked like Bavarian used auto part or whatever they're called out in california selling more over $200.

Dave M
11-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Jehu,

I have an Alpine headunit. I replaced mine with another as it was dirt cheap ($40 and came with a cd changer). I suspected my headunit was toast (volume wasn't what I expected), but i think its the speakers.

Anyhow, you're welcome to my old headunit I removed for the cost of shipping. I may be headed across the border to pick something up (F'in Can. $$) in the near future. I can ship it cheap if thats the case. It might be worth a try.

Let me know,

Dave M

Jehu
11-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Jehu,

I have an Alpine headunit. I replaced mine with another as it was dirt cheap ($40 and came with a cd changer). I suspected my headunit was toast (volume wasn't what I expected), but i think its the speakers.

Anyhow, you're welcome to my old headunit I removed for the cost of shipping. I may be headed across the border to pick something up (F'in Can. $$) in the near future. I can ship it cheap if thats the case. It might be worth a try.

Let me know,

Dave M

If its an Alpine 5 in decent condition and has the Weather band button and i rule out weak battery I could see doing that.. I'll keep it in mind,thanks.

Dave M
11-11-2007, 06:11 AM
it has weather. we always have weather ;)

lemme know