PDA

View Full Version : :: Rear wiring

Qube
11-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Related?

Rear defogger doesn't work. Button illuminates. Will check fuse.

Lights off. Open trunk, trunk lights (under hood) go dim to bright. Shorted wire? Probably. Notice LICENSE PLATE LIGHT illuminates when I open the trunk and off when I close it. Is this normal or a side effect of possible messed up wiring on the trunk arm?

Barney Paull-Edwards
11-06-2007, 08:39 PM
rear defogger is not related to the dreaded rear wiring problem,try the middle( I think) of the three relays on other side from battery ,drivers side to you in US,relay not too durable.

Barney Paull-Edwards
11-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Sorry,Canada!

Qube
11-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Oh good. So I have frayed wiring and something else :) Well, at least that is answered partially.

John 535is (Sydney)
11-07-2007, 05:42 AM
start with the fuse under the rear seat. Mine was the same, the switch lit up but no demist. From memory its a 30A. The legend should be on a sticker on the fuse box cover.

John 535is

EngPhys09
11-07-2007, 08:20 AM
My reverse lights don't work?... Checked the bulbs, i think it is the reverse sensor in the trans, i do have an SSK kit...could this be the problem?

Barney Paull-Edwards
11-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Unless your SSK is not letting reverse engage completely,it is not related.

Qube
11-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Yep the fuse was blown... black charred. Not a good indication. Replaced it. Worked a bit i think but now stopped. I surmise it's blown again.

mamilapon
11-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Yep the fuse was blown... black charred. Not a good indication. Replaced it. Worked a bit i think but now stopped. I surmise it's blown again.
Guys, check the wiring that goes along the trunk lid hinge (left hand side) Some of the wires break along there. Had similar probs .Good luck!;)

Qube
11-07-2007, 09:30 PM
Well, here is the fuse from the rear defogger... the filament is STILL intact. Can see it unbroken across the top. No idea about the inside that looks melted and ****... I replaced the fuse but it still doesn't work. I have a feeling I should keep the fuse out for now.

Can someone tell me how the wiring is? From the defogger grid, where does it go?

Qube
11-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Well who says this couldn't be the issue? I replaced the fuse and the defogger didn't work. Tonight I spent some time and dissected the wiring going down the trunk lid. WHY does the glue on the fabric tape have to come off as goo!? I know it's from 1989 but still!

Anyway, after reparing cut/frayed wires, everything looks good. Tested the defogger and it worked. Will do more extensive testing tomorrow.

Symptoms (to help searching):
1. defogger didn't work
2. going into reverse the reverse lights DIDN'T turn on, but it made the DASH (yeah) lights come on dimly. Go figure!
3. Trunk lid lights turn on but VERY dimly. The one inside the trunk was unaffected (on bright)
4. Opening trunk lid (car off) turns on license plate lights dimly
5. License plate lights don't turn on in any other case
6. Of course... opening and closing the trunk lid causes the inside trunk lights turn on full bright for a moment