PDA

View Full Version : Drivers door lock acting up

NielsGalan
11-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Hey people.

I have a strange problem which I've narrowed down to the door lock itself. Problem was that the lock refused to lock. I "went in" expecting to find a bad actuator or that something needed oiling, but no. As I dove into the problem I've discovered that it's the actual lock that's the problem.

I've always been able to lock the door while it was open. Now suddenly I can't. Before opening everything up (tearing door apart and removing the lock) it seems that no matter what I did the drivers side front door could not lock.

Having removed the lock from the door I can observe the following:
If door is open (latch open) the locking arm won't budge.

If I close the latch (as if the door was closed) there is no problem. Locking arm locks fine.

I have the feeling that something in the lock itself is broken. Has anybody experienced anything similar?

Niels.

EDIT: Everything I assumed was wrong - was wrong. Read below.

nirvana19
11-03-2007, 01:01 PM
My understanding was that the drivers door was not suposed to lock with the door open (so you can't lock yourself out of the car, pretty smart actually...) so it seems that your lock is currently functioning properly. So you're saying before it wouldn't lock at all? My passenger front door suddenly started doing that and I've also ruled it down to the lock, probably some corrosion in there and the weather got to it, would explain your intermittent problem. Also in my door I confirmed that the actuator is fine.

NielsGalan
11-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Hey.

Just tried editing the post to no avail.

Turns out, I was totally barking up the wrong tree. Lock is fine.

The problem is the mechanism connecting the key cylinder, lock motor and lock itself. When I turn the key, it somehow can't "move" the thingamajig that locks the actual lock.

Looks like something is worn out. I'll have to take the whole lock, cylinder and all out tomorrow and have a look.

NielsGalan
11-04-2007, 06:19 AM
Okay, I have removed the door handle assembly and have found something to be broken.

There is a broken piece of plastic, that holds the spring which keeps the door handle "in". The plastic piece also has a microswitch, which registers wether the door handle is up or not. This is probably connected to the lock heater, but possibly also to the lock motor. So the central locking system thinks that the door handle is held up at all times, possibly preventing the lock motor to operate.

QUESTION: When I turn the key in the lock, should it mechanically "push" the locking mechanism, or merely activate a switch, engaging the lock motor?

To be continued... Super glue is hardening.

skr
11-04-2007, 10:21 AM
it mechanicaly pushes the lock mecanism, so u can lock it with no current. the microswitch is connected only to the heater.

NielsGalan
11-04-2007, 02:54 PM
hmmm ...

So that means something else is broken in there.

Lock cylinder feels like it should physically "push" the mechanism, but it doesn't grab anything. Something must be worn out.