PDA

View Full Version : i did it again :(

RallyD
11-02-2007, 10:19 AM
6k rpm, fan clutch engaged.
Blew 10 out of the 11 fan blades off, wiped out the shroud, popped about 5 holes in the radiator, blue coolant everywhere :(

on a good note, scattering plastic parts and coolant is way better than aluminum and oil.

Will be speaking to Panzer Captain later today to source some used parts for this heap and then i'm selling it. As much as I like the 530i, it sucks.

Now I have to drive this junk home from work (25 miles) That one blade is making some vibration and i think i'll just take the whole thing (well whatever is left at least) and just remove it. Most of my drive is at highway speed so it should be ok.
Hopefully I can do it with one fill of the resivior.

so much for my lunch break, happy friday

E34-520iSE
11-02-2007, 11:51 AM
6k rpm, fan clutch engaged.
Blew 10 out of the 11 fan blades off, wiped out the shroud, popped about 5 holes in the radiator, blue coolant everywhere :(

Sorry to hear about that - I never even knew such a thing could happen. Has it happened to anyone else?

Cheers,

Shaun M

Dragunov
11-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Sorry to hear about that - I never even knew such a thing could happen. Has it happened to anyone else?

Cheers,

Shaun M

I have read a topic about this a while ago, these e34 fans seem to love blowing themselves to tiny pieces.

E34-520iSE
11-02-2007, 12:15 PM
No more high RPM's for me then!

Cheers,

Shaun M

bubba966
11-02-2007, 12:21 PM

Cheers,

Shaun M

The previous owner of my car had the fan blow up on him. Though his was caused by a failed motor mount that let the engine move and the fan contacted the radiator/shroud.

Needed lots of new parts, new hood, hood liner, radiator hoses, fan shroud, etc.

bubba966
11-02-2007, 12:23 PM
No more high RPM's for me then!

Cheers,

Shaun M

High RPMs should be fine if the fan isn't too old. Replace it every couple of years and you should have no problems.

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Okay Britney,

Check your motor mounts...if they are bad the motor will shift under torque and the fan will hit the shroud and rad...Ka boom:(

BigTed00
11-02-2007, 01:48 PM
i had this happen to me............except it was an M52.

same thing, the fan kicked on and threw 2 blades straight through my radiator when i was flying down the jersey parkway. what a bitch that was

M20Turbo
11-02-2007, 02:02 PM

Cheers,

Shaun M

The same thing happened to me twice, I removed the fan and fan clutch, replaced with an electric fan with an adjustable thermostat. No problems since.

Tiger
11-02-2007, 03:15 PM
I think the emphasis of cause is bad motor mounts... so it is a wise preventive maintenance to replace the motor mounts before it happens to you.

nuclearfusion
11-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Oops.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I have never had a fan spontaneously blow apart on an M30-based engine. This is my 3rd M30-based powerplant and no trouble with fans.

I wonder if it's related to long-term exposure to high ambient temperatures?

Enjoy!

Fusion