PDA

View Full Version : Temp -895 ºF...

artguy
11-01-2007, 07:53 AM
There is NO Global Warming! We are headed for another Ice Age!!!! :D

I started the car this morning and the temp display read "-895 ºF"
I thought this was so hilarious I had to share. :)
Actual temp was 40º F this morning.

And these are actual picts...no photoshop'n going on here, I promise!

http://www.captive1.com/mrk/LCD_module_guages_w.jpg

http://www.captive1.com/mrk/OBC_input_unit_w.jpg

nirvana19
11-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Heh, did it flash that at you when you started your car because of "freezing" temperatures?

Ross
11-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Disconnecting mine results in a -35 reading. So I'll assume then a short circuit would make it indicate it's max reading.
God knows how your -895 came about. Wouldn't that be "less" than absolute zero?

artguy
11-01-2007, 08:54 AM
I got the "freezing temp message" last week when the outside temp actually was 34 ºF.

Today as I drove, the reading fluctuated dramatically from -895 to -125 to -7 and others. It even got as low as -9XX something (can't remember exact).
I had to make a couple of stops, shut the car off and it would do it again after restart.

When I finally got to my office, and could grab a camera, it was at the -895. Was working fine yesterday. I'll check it later as the temp warms up.

Maybe my temp sensor finally went bye, bye.

Ferret
11-01-2007, 09:03 AM
I got the "freezing temp message" last week when the outside temp actually was 34 ºF.

Today as I drove, the reading fluctuated dramatically from -895 to -125 to -7 and others. It even got as low as -9XX something (can't remember exact).
I had to make a couple of stops, shut the car off and it would do it again after restart.

When I finally got to my office, and could grab a camera, it was at the -895. Was working fine yesterday. I'll check it later as the temp warms up.

Maybe my temp sensor finally went bye, bye.

That's an internal OBC fault causing that... the obc is internally damped, meaning it should take about 24 hours to go up or down 50 degrees...

artguy
11-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Ferret,

So is my OBC on it's way out or is this just a hiccup not to worry about?

That's an internal OBC fault causing that... the obc is internally damped, meaning it should take about 24 hours to go up or down 50 degrees...

Ferret
11-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Ferret,

So is my OBC on it's way out or is this just a hiccup not to worry about?

Honestly, I dont know :p

At a guess you've had a damping capacitor go pop inside the OBC, causing all kinds of screwy readings - I very much doubt that it'll cause any further problems with the obc, but it might get annoying if it goes *bong* every time you switch the car on :D

EngPhys09
11-01-2007, 11:12 AM
I have the same problem where it reads -35F always. I was thinking it was the outside therometer?
Doesn't really bother me. What bothers me more is finding a constant power and ground wire in my dash for my deck :(

Any suggestions on colour or place to tap into, I was thinking the seats?

Ferret
11-01-2007, 11:27 AM
I have the same problem where it reads -35F always. I was thinking it was the outside therometer?
Doesn't really bother me. What bothers me more is finding a constant power and ground wire in my dash for my deck :(

Any suggestions on colour or place to tap into, I was thinking the seats?

-35F is a busted thermo yeah - take a line out the back of the stereo power connector - it should be good for upto 15/20 amps iirc... if you need more than that take a line off the back of the stereo, rig up a relay and direct connect to the battery!

Easy :D

Ross
11-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Check for a broken wire or severely corroded connector. -35 indicates an open circuit.