PDA

View Full Version : Tires: Kuhmo Ecsta ASX for '89 535i? Opinions?

Warren N.CA
10-30-2007, 06:06 PM
These are cheap and have great reviews from users on Tire Rack site. Anybody here tried them?

Macv
10-30-2007, 06:08 PM
My buddy's had a set in tact for a long time.

GJPinAU
10-30-2007, 07:39 PM
I have them on the front of mine
235/40/18
WORST TYRES EVER!
they catch every little rut and bump.

Macv
10-30-2007, 07:42 PM
You could step a model to the 711's or 712's, they arent as cheap, but they both feel great IMO.

winfred
10-30-2007, 07:47 PM
i've yet to have a problem with any kumho, i went through two sets of 712s on my 535 and have sold/installed several sets of asx and ast kumho's

Warren N.CA
10-30-2007, 10:40 PM
These are cheap and have great reviews from users on Tire Rack site. Anybody here tried them?

Thanks to all who replied...

Taking off Bridgestone G009 that I liked just OK, but feel ready to move on. Considering pricy Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, and looking for other options. But need to decide 'cause 535i out of service due to one extremely poor rear tire.

Robin-535im
10-30-2007, 11:14 PM
Hi Warren,

One more data point, I had Kumhos on my car before the yokohamas that are there now.

The tread wore out faster than I wanted but the grip was great... when dry. A little more slippery when wet, which caught me off guard once or twice. I would buy them again if the price was right (after treadwear is factored in).

I switched to yokohama h2s (or hs2) and they seem almost as sticky (after broken in) and have a much much better treadwear... important for us geezers that buy tires based on performance AND value... :)

NJHokie
10-31-2007, 11:35 AM
I have them on the front of mine
235/40/18
WORST TYRES EVER!
they catch every little rut and bump.

that's probably due to the fact that you are running 18's and they are a hard compound tire, no?

winfred
10-31-2007, 04:35 PM
probably, low profile tires chase ruts bad

that's probably due to the fact that you are running 18's and they are a hard compound tire, no?

GJPinAU
10-31-2007, 04:58 PM
That is why I put my tyre size there.
Warren hadn't mentioned what size he is running.

///Sniper535
10-31-2007, 05:07 PM
I have the factory size on my car. Those tires are ok for being just tires but they squeal like a pig on turns, man i miss my old TRX tires.

BuckNaked
10-31-2007, 07:01 PM
I have had Kumho ASX for a couple of months... I think around 3,000 miles. Anyway, this is my first experience with 17 inch wheels and I am not sure if what I am feeling is directly related to the Kumho's or the change to 17 inch.
I feel the tires tracking ruts, tracking oddly during speed changes, and feeling generally lost for direction. On the plus side I noticed these tires are extremely quite, very sticky when dry, adequate in the wet, and look great on the car. (I finally figured out how to get the tire dressing into all the ribs).
At this point of ownership, I would have to say they were a bargain, but I think I would spend the money on Michelin Pilot next time. I've had Pilots, I should have stayed with them.

winfred
10-31-2007, 10:18 PM
the alignment may be off a hair or two, it gets more critical with shorter tires, the bitch is finding a place that will do it right, the only setting is tow and it's amazing how many places get it wrong

I have had Kumho ASX for a couple of months... I think around 3,000 miles. Anyway, this is my first experience with 17 inch wheels and I am not sure if what I am feeling is directly related to the Kumho's or the change to 17 inch.
I feel the tires tracking ruts, tracking oddly during speed changes, and feeling generally lost for direction. On the plus side I noticed these tires are extremely quite, very sticky when dry, adequate in the wet, and look great on the car. (I finally figured out how to get the tire dressing into all the ribs).
At this point of ownership, I would have to say they were a bargain, but I think I would spend the money on Michelin Pilot next time. I've had Pilots, I should have stayed with them.

Qube
11-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Works great on my mother's Impreza coupe. I've only been using General UHP 17s and Pirelli snosports.