PDA

View Full Version : Much demand for a mid 90's 525 touring?

cooljules
10-30-2007, 09:40 AM
Even with high milage, 280k but has been around Europe 3 times (12k in total)this year on trips. not bad body work and the engine and auto box are fine...not sure the colour etc it doesnt float my boat..but never let me down.

Passed MOT after a bulb was changed..

I have no idea what its worth
Cant pop it on ebay, as i dont use it, and seem some sheds on there..pity its not a diesel, but i got decent miles on the autobahn.
These are the fotos as i saw it when i bought it. not worse. odd little rust patches and trolly dents. Pulled a 525 on a trailer long distance no probs

im off to live in Germany next year so want some ideas as i need to sell it soon.
Computer comes up occ with rear brake fault, but thats common i was told on these, only other thing is there are no pistons on the rear lid, but i always use a broom to keep it up so no hassle there.
ta

repenttokyo
10-30-2007, 09:51 AM
best e34 colour ever.

Omega
10-30-2007, 10:08 AM
If the mileage were lower you would probably get £500 to £750 ish for it. However at 280k you'd be very lucky to break £500. With a full MOT and Tax expect around £300-400.

The problem is e34's just aren't worth anything in the UK, especially with that kind of intergalactic mileage. I just looked at autotrader.co.uk and can get 6 525 tourings for less than £800 and all have less than 170k on the clock.

That said, it does look really tidy in the pics. Try advertising on UK based BMW sites rather than fleaBay, hopefully you will get a fair price for it. It would be a real shame to scrap it but it is probably worth more in parts.

cooljules
10-30-2007, 10:30 AM
If the mileage were lower you would probably get £500 to £750 ish for it. However at 280k you'd be very lucky to break £500. With a full MOT and Tax expect around £300-400.

The problem is e34's just aren't worth anything in the UK, especially with that kind of intergalactic mileage. I just looked at autotrader.co.uk and can get 6 525 tourings for less than £800 and all have less than 170k on the clock.

That said, it does look really tidy in the pics. Try advertising on UK based BMW sites rather than fleaBay, hopefully you will get a fair price for it. It would be a real shame to scrap it but it is probably worth more in parts.

When i was in Germany a couple of months ago, speaking to e34.de club, they said there 34's fetch a lot of money and was surprised how much cheaper they are here, i get free road tax, as im disabled so never bought any for it, so not sure how much it is. It doesnt smoke etc and runs sweet, did a steady 120mph accross Germany where i could in the middle of the night and it didnt miss a beat, even had the gauge at just under 140, but i guess its a little lower than that in reality. i knew at that milage, the water pump wouldnt be plastic.

I have a black 525 saloon on the sales page, which im hoping to get shut of, on at £500 but would take less for a quick sale, nice 17 inch wheels

This touring was great around E Germany and Poland, and on my last trip, i took a huge roof box, the box shape and not aerodynamic, my bank card packed up, and i got from France to Rostock (near German seaside, IIRC about 600 miles) on a full tank, sat behind big trucks all the way, so no drag and took it steady at 50ish.

Hate to see it broken up..few little scratches and dents sorted would look good as new.

leicesterboy15
10-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Theres always a healthy demand for e34s but I wouldn't say demand was crazy apart from for the more rare optioned / high performance models.

These are notoriously difficult cars to value, when you consider whats out there for the same money theres nothing in the same league. They do seem to be getting good prices at the moment and condition and maintenance is very important as theres no such thing as a cheap BMW!

Its the mileage thats the killer on yours, if it had average mileage I would say anywhere between £800 - £1600 depending on condition and spec etc but at that mileage I would reckon £400 - £800. Shoot me down if you think thats off the mark as thats just my opinion, what were your expectations?

I know my e34s are worth more to me as nice cars you can drive everyday and have a laugh in than what I would get for them in cash or what I would get for similar money...

leicesterboy15
10-30-2007, 10:35 AM

Sorry to repeat you mate, looks like I posted at the same time ( I got side tracked)

cooljules
10-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Theres always a healthy demand for e34s but I wouldn't say demand was crazy apart from for the more rare optioned / high performance models.

These are notoriously difficult cars to value, when you consider whats out there for the same money theres nothing in the same league. They do seem to be getting good prices at the moment and condition and maintenance is very important as theres no such thing as a cheap BMW!

Its the mileage thats the killer on yours, if it had average mileage I would say anywhere between £800 - £1600 depending on condition and spec etc but at that mileage I would reckon £400 - £800. Shoot me down if you think thats off the mark as thats just my opinion, what were your expectations?

I know my e34s are worth more to me as nice cars you can drive everyday and have a laugh in than what I would get for them in cash or what I would get for similar money...

I agree, i see stuff go for more, and wouldnt trust on a 1000 mile one way trip, this had FSH too, like Citroens etc and im surprised that Mondeo estates have gone for more.

The Germans i spoke too, said that milage wouldnt put them off, i use FUCHS oil and doesnt burn. 400-600...thats low for a well looked after car, but your right. seems low.

leicesterboy15
10-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Also try total BMW mag, I believe ads are free in that so you've got nothing to loose. If it didn't sell wherever you put it, you could use ebay as a last resort, the benefit is you have a set / known timeframe within which you know the car will be sold.

BMWCCA1
10-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Just curious: What year is the 525i Touring that it has the "V8" center grille? In the U.S. that would be only 1995 model year, but then our lower rockers would have covers and, along with the front and rear valances, would be in body color.

cooljules
10-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Just curious: What year is the 525i Touring that it has the "V8" center grille? In the U.S. that would be only 1995 model year, but then our lower rockers would have covers and, along with the front and rear valances, would be in body color.
Its a 96 IIRC

Ross
10-30-2007, 10:50 AM
You are moving to Germany and the car is worth more there. Seems to me the car should be sold there. Or is this verbotin?

Omega
10-30-2007, 10:53 AM

I have exactly the same view. Look at a £500 BMW and a £500 Ford...... Which is coming home with you?
Some people would still take the Ford. The poor, misguided souls..... :D

I believe the UK crossed over in around 1995 as well. Most v8 wide grills are on "M" plates and later which is mid 1995.

You are moving to Germany and the car is worth more there. Seems to me the car should be sold there. Or is this verbotin?

It's right hand drive. Germans drive Left-hand-drive so I doubt they would buy it. Not sure on the legalities but in the UK we can drive left or right hookers, not sure of mainland Europe.

cooljules
10-30-2007, 10:54 AM
Also try total BMW mag, I believe ads are free in that so you've got nothing to loose. If it didn't sell wherever you put it, you could use ebay as a last resort, the benefit is you have a set / known timeframe within which you know the car will be sold.
I was going to use it do pull all my stuff over next year, but seen a car/camping thing..which now got my heart set on, which would be great, as next year i want to visit a load of former E German airbases and write a series of books.

I cant be without a car, as i rely on a car to get me around...ah the change brakes message has popped up in the last 30 miles, so pads are gonna be changed. great car, esp on long runs. and in Germany people loved it..

cooljules
10-30-2007, 11:02 AM
no, some German kids said they would love a RHD, a TUEV would be pretty easy, only trouble is over taking....when i overtook a load of trucks, leaning right accross isnt perfect, nearly head on with a truck and a bend..brown trousers times :-)

Trouble is those who want a decent e34 over there, want saloons..i rarley saw a touring, maybe 2, compared to hundreds of saloons..no demand for tourings

Omega
10-30-2007, 02:42 PM
only trouble is over taking....when i overtook a load of trucks, leaning right accross isnt perfect, nearly head on with a truck and a bend..brown trousers times :-)

Yeah. :D That used to scare the sh:pt out of me as well...

Sam-Son
10-30-2007, 03:06 PM
some 94's also had the wide grille and all 95's have it. Oh and take a look at my car to really make your head spin:D