PDA

View Full Version : How big a problem is this?

Kevin
05-17-2004, 11:49 AM
I managed to snap one of the three bolts holding the strut bearing to the frame. How sad is this likely to make me in the future? How difficult is it to replace the bolt?

On a related note, I just finished replacing my very worn out front strut inserts with some Bilstein HDs. Made a huge difference. Seems to have fixed my 60mph shimmy as well, strangely enough. I removed and reinstalled the strut assemblies myself, and then took them to Pep Boys to have them replace the actual inserts. $20/side is a pretty good deal to avoid the need to deal with a spring compressor and getting that top bolt out.

winfred
05-17-2004, 12:19 PM
it's a splined stud that presses in from the bottom, it looks like a baby wheel stud, you can replace it with a 13mm nut and bolt if you can reach it

George M
05-17-2004, 02:30 PM
as Winfred says. Your challenge will be to remove the broken stud. It is a splined stud and the issue will be to adequately support the strut bearing collar flange when pounding it out. I personally wouldn't even attemp this on the car...can be done...but will impart a lot of stress into the shock tower..particularly retaining it with 2 bolts and will asymmetrically load the strut bearing top collar/hat flange that the stud is pressed into. I would personally remove the strut assembly and remove the strut bearing. Then support the bearing collar with flat stock local to the stud and punch it out. Worse case you drill it out. You may find a suitable splined stud to press back in...consult the ETK to see if these are sold separately...don't believe they are...may be available elsewhere or very close to spec. The torque is quite low for the 3 shock tower nuts...probably why it sheared off.
HTH,
George

MicahO
05-17-2004, 02:52 PM
Or worst (most costly) case - get a new strut bearing. IIRC they are in the $90 to $100 neighborhood, and they will come to you with the studs pre-installed. But the studs are available from BMA and should blow or drill out easily enough. I had a bunch of spares around at one point, now I doubt I could put my hands on them if I had to.....

Kevin
05-17-2004, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. It sounds like I need to order a new splined bolt from BMA and then take the strut assembly back out and see what I can do. So I know what I'm getting into, does anyone know what's involved in removing the strut bearing? Will I need to compress the spring and such? I didn't take a real close look at it when I had it out yesterday.

JR'Z 525
05-17-2004, 07:25 PM
Kevin,
I checked my vast pile of old BMW parts and have a used strut mount. I own an old British Sports car and throw away nothing! It's yours if you want to try to get one of the studs off it. Email me with your snail mail address if you want it.
JR

Terry B
05-17-2004, 07:53 PM
Can send em to ya. As for removal of the strut bearing - you will have to compress the spring.

Terry

Thanks for the advice, guys. It sounds like I need to order a new splined bolt from BMA and then take the strut assembly back out and see what I can do. So I know what I'm getting into, does anyone know what's involved in removing the strut bearing? Will I need to compress the spring and such? I didn't take a real close look at it when I had it out yesterday.

winfred
05-17-2004, 10:44 PM
it's not hard to knock em out, one wack with a hammer and it's shooting across the shop

Your challenge will be to remove the broken stud. It is a splined stud and the issue will be to adequately support the strut bearing collar flange when pounding it out.

Paul G
05-18-2004, 09:58 AM
Kevin,

You only have to remove the strut from the car you will not need to disasemble it. (it looks like you know the proceedure for removal)

Support from below and pound from above as others have indicated.

It's actually quite easy.

I had to remove mine when I put in the Dinan camber plates.

The only trick was that you have to rotate the top plate to ge it into a position that will allow you to install new stud. (you'll see when you have it in you hands)

Good Luck

Paul

Kevin
05-18-2004, 06:46 PM
I called BMA today and ordered a stud from them. It was only 99 cents and I was ordering some other stuff (front rotors) anyway so shipping was not a big issue. Thanks, though, for the offer to send me one guys. I really appreciate the offer. I'll let you all know how it goes when I get around to tackling it. (probably not until after this weekend, unfortunately.)