PDA

View Full Version : Banging noise on rear on e28 535is:

E34 530
10-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Banging noise coming from the back of my e28. First, when I go to accelerate hard in gear (can be any gear) there a huge thumping sound in the back (like the differential fell out or something lol). Now if I ease on the gas after shifting it doesn't happen. I've done some research and think it's the center support bearing. What say you?

I looked underneath the car today and I tugged on the driveshaft, absolutely no excess play. I also looked at the diff. and I saw that large bolt, but it didn't look like it was broke. However, I saw that the bolt "stopped" at the top of the diff, it didn't continue to the "body" of the car. What say you?

Thanks, Andrew

filmy540i/6
10-28-2007, 10:31 PM
It's your differential mount - the square-like rubber thing that that long rear diff bolt goes up into. Even if it looks alright, it's probably bad. Also, it's an easy, 5-bolt repair. Call Steve Haygood at Automobile Solutions. Google, etc.

Derek A.
10-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Blown out subframe bushings will also do that.

Paul in NZ
10-29-2007, 11:22 PM
there is a body in the boot....:)

filmy540i/6
10-30-2007, 12:21 AM
Blown out subframe bushings will also do that.

Yeeeeeeah, but you'll know you have blown out subs by driving it down the road and your ass comes around sideways. I still vote for diff mount.