PDA

View Full Version : Wow new slave made ALL the difference

Jon K
10-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Clutch seems much grabbier and the pedal is SO heavy like a 3x pressure plate should be. The pedal feel now is 100% responsive and I can modulate it very nicely. I wonder if my slave was "on its way out" since I've had this clutch setup. I should be able to slip it a good amount on the way home (60 miles) and should be good as new I hope. If not, down comes the trans.

Sam-Son
10-28-2007, 12:06 PM
Is the clutch really heavy now? and is that a good thing?

Dave M
10-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Is the clutch really heavy now? and is that a good thing?

supersized pressure plate = workout

bsell
10-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Clutch seems much grabbier and the pedal is SO heavy like a 3x pressure plate should be. The pedal feel now is 100% responsive and I can modulate it very nicely. I wonder if my slave was "on its way out" since I've had this clutch setup. I should be able to slip it a good amount on the way home (60 miles) and should be good as new I hope. If not, down comes the trans.

I'm not too up on the set-up you have but I would caution about making too much heat in the flywheel/clutch pack. I would hate to see you 'hot spot' the metal parts and end up with a chattery devil of a clutch.

I take it you did not replace the clutch master cyl? When I was turning wrenches for a living, I recommended changing both the slave and master at the same time when either one failed. I had too many of the change only one jobbies come back within a couple weeks due to the other half of the system failing. It was a hassle for the customers to have the car towed in and brought the shop's integrity into question as the customers thought we failed to fix the original problem. Which in a way, I guess we did; at least until we started fixing both ends of the problem...

Brian

bsell
10-28-2007, 01:16 PM
supersized pressure plate = workout

For equal time on the right leg, add a bunch of springs to the throttle return system!:D

Brian

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-28-2007, 01:22 PM
That plate should rattle like a bitch when pressed,dont slip it or, as somebody else said, you will distort the flywheel,good you found a difference, would have been a BITCH if that had not been the answer! If you can get hold of temp sensitive buttons , it pays to stick some on the rear or the bell-housing to keep an eye on max temps,paddle plate clutched do generate a fair bit of heat,GM/Holden water cool the bell-housing for that reason.

Qube
10-28-2007, 04:52 PM
You know Jon, not even the title surprised me...

"Wow new slave made ALL the difference "

What else is new? Paid help that cheap now eh?

Jon K
10-28-2007, 04:58 PM
haha

Brandon J
10-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Was it the actual slave that failed or did the slave just need to be bled well? Did you replace with the same size slave cylinder?

Jon K
10-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Slave filled - pissing brake fluid into bell housing/clutch slip/dripping out of crack between bell housing and oil pan

Replaced with same size slave

Dave M
10-29-2007, 06:06 AM
Slave filled - pissing brake fluid into bell housing/clutch slip/dripping out of crack between bell housing and oil pan

Replaced with same size slave

Jon,

I'm sure you've thought this through, but do you think the added stress of pushing the 'upgraded' pressure plate caused the failure? Might it also reduce the lifespan of the new stock slave?

Thinking out loud,

Dave M

Ross
10-29-2007, 09:24 AM
Jon,
Just a thought. If the pedal is really heavy have a look at the bushings and such for the pedal, if not already worn some grease ought to ease thing up.

Jon K
10-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Thanks guys - I think my slave had been leaking/failing for a while without my knowing. I have a few friends with this same clutch and their pedals are all heavier than mine was. Now its all the same - feels much better!

I am pretty certain its just the new slave - no bushings or anything else I'd have had issues the day I drove it up to do the slave.

attack eagle
10-29-2007, 12:47 PM
keep an eye on the master jon. As someone said earlier, if a slave fails the master's seals are usually pretty close to going as well. IF you see black residue in the reservoir, hen start saving up for one. The seals in it are also disintegrating.