PDA

View Full Version : headlight moisture? <:(

[1990]525
10-26-2007, 09:49 PM
About a week ago I installed smoked hella euro headlights. Recently it's been raining, and I noticed today that one of the highbeam lenses is fogging up with moisture behind the lens. What can I do to get rid of the moisture, and why would the highbeam cap not be sealing? I pulled it off and recapped it and it feels like it is making a good seal.

shogun
10-26-2007, 10:09 PM
E34 and E32 headlights are not sealed 100% and also do not have airation system to let heat out, that is also why one should not install stronger rally bulbs with for eaxmple 100W.
Usually that moisture disappears when the bulb heats up the area inside.
Some people in Germany drilled a 1-2 mm hole at the bottom of the reflector to let the moisture drain out. In my opinion not necessary.

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-27-2007, 01:50 AM
I get his every once in a while when the humidity is high.

Just run the lights for a while and it burns off

[1990]525
10-27-2007, 01:04 PM
I get his every once in a while when the humidity is high.

Just run the lights for a while and it burns off
OK, I guess the problem is just because I don't run the highbeams... like ever :) Interesting that it is just one of them though?

Qube
10-27-2007, 09:11 PM
The problem is if the moisture is left to sit inside the glass, it will evap naturally and leave crap behind... not fun... which is one of the reasons I changed both sets of lights today ;)

Claude
05-07-2008, 07:39 PM
E34 and E32 headlights are not sealed 100% and also do not have airation system to let heat out, that is also why one should not install stronger rally bulbs with for eaxmple 100W.
Usually that moisture disappears when the bulb heats up the area inside.
Some people in Germany drilled a 1-2 mm hole at the bottom of the reflector to let the moisture drain out. In my opinion not necessary.

On mines (All 4 hella head light on E34) there is some sort of reflector ventilation system (small rigid tube from the inside of the reflector terminated outside by about 2 inches rubber tube).

My feeling (i am not sure of that) the small rubber tube act like a valve that will let humid air inside of the reflector to be push out when light bulb heated the air inside the reflector. Kind of small / thin membrane we can see inside the rubber tube must act like a valve... that's my theorie, if it's true i have a QUESTION : could we buy somewere replacement for those rubber tube / rubber valve, over time the thin membrane seems to break doing a wide open hole for moisture to get in the reflector.

shogun
05-07-2008, 09:06 PM
I have not seen such a tube. What some people in Germany do is to drill a 1-2 mm hole at the deepest point so that the moisture can drop out.
I could imagine, that this vent hose is for air circulation to reduce heat inside the headlight from the bulbs.

Jehu
05-07-2008, 09:14 PM
....LOL.. I have about two inches of Water in one of my headlight lenses since last winter... it justwon't evaporate however warm its been. amazing with all the sloshing around the bulb hasn't shorted out.

johnbarton
06-02-2008, 02:42 AM
High beam problems or any kind of replacement......

johnbarton
06-02-2008, 02:43 AM
High beam problems or any kind of replacement......http://usautolighting.com

RallyD
06-03-2008, 10:22 AM
....LOL.. I have about two inches of Water in one of my headlight lenses since last winter... it justwon't evaporate however warm its been. amazing with all the sloshing around the bulb hasn't shorted out.
put a goldfish in there. I was tempted to on mine but changed out the lenses before I got the chance.