PDA

View Full Version : Engine noise

jakewied02
10-26-2007, 09:53 AM
So it's a broad thread title sorry. But I'm wondering if any one has got any way to explain why my engine is so loud. Off the top of my head I wanted to guess lifters but have read through a few posts that tell me the 530's (94) don't use any. So I'm wondering fuel injectors? Because I've heard those are rather loud. It's not a consistent ticking or anything, just seems like the crankcase is making more noise than it should. And i'm sure the immediate response is that hey, jake... your car is old and that's what happens at 230k miles, but I'm just looking for some info. Maybe I'll get around to a rebuild next summer.

Chris e34
10-26-2007, 10:09 AM
So it's a broad thread title sorry. But I'm wondering if any one has got any way to explain why my engine is so loud. Off the top of my head I wanted to guess lifters but have read through a few posts that tell me the 530's (94) don't use any. So I'm wondering fuel injectors? Because I've heard those are rather loud. It's not a consistent ticking or anything, just seems like the crankcase is making more noise than it should. And i'm sure the immediate response is that hey, jake... your car is old and that's what happens at 230k miles, but I'm just looking for some info. Maybe I'll get around to a rebuild next summer.

What kind of sound is it? It is consistent with rpm or is it constant. I'm assuming its consistent with RPM. Give us a little more information.

jakewied02
10-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Yea, I'm sorry it's tough to pick out a good description. But it does seem to be a constant buzz regardless of rpm. A better way to say is that it's typical engine noise, but at a higher volume. Best I can say is that it's similar to that of a worn out alternator, the constant brushing whizz.. I really doubt that it's any kind of accessory after having my hands and ears all over the crankcase.

Where's the fan clutch located?

CharlesAFerg
10-26-2007, 11:10 AM
make a video with audio and move around the engine ba from a reasonable distance (ie don't shove the camera right in the engine bay)

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Get a lomg screwdriver, hold the handle to your ear just in front of the earhole and work round the engine touching the blade to the metal.The noise will be amplified and should be easy to pin-point.

Ferret
10-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Get a lomg screwdriver, hold the handle to your ear just in front of the earhole and work round the engine touching the blade to the metal.The noise will be amplified and should be easy to pin-point.

Age old trick :p

I also found another one that you can listen to hard to reach places - take a length of garden hose, ram one end in your ear and sweep around with the other end :)

repenttokyo
10-26-2007, 01:10 PM
bad engine mounts? they can transfer vibration through the frame, into the passenger compartment.

whiskychaser
10-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Age old trick :p

I also found another one that you can listen to hard to reach places - take a length of garden hose, ram one end in your ear and sweep around with the other end :)
Less of the age old young whipper snapper. I use that method too! As for hose, what is it you can hear - the sea? Two Ronnies ironmongers' sketch comes to mind though:)

Ferret
10-27-2007, 03:00 AM
Less of the age old young whipper snapper.

Haha

"In my day...!"

:p

I've actually found the above method extremely good at diagnosing which ancilliary components are shot - cos quite often you cant get a screwdriver down to them :D