PDA

View Full Version : Another way to get into the trunk when you are locked out?

Dave PA
10-26-2007, 09:53 AM
has anyone ever tried this?:(
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/423282

Friday after work I was leaving for a weekend trip. Started to pack the car and the trunk wouldn't open. Ended up stuffing the car full of travel stuff, and of course it bugged me the whole time, probably tried the key lock 500 times (and the remote too). Then Saturday night the tail light burnt out! Spare bulb is in the trunk, along with the Bently manual.
Got home Monday and found no on-line solution except for cutting out behind the rear armrest and sending in your 6 year old kid, or using a crowbar to pop the trunk. I didn't like either one, so I came up with the following:
Opened up behind the armrest. Removed the black foam pad befind the leather, the pad is perforated and zips right out. Punched out the metal plate with a hammer and screwdriver, the plate is also perforated. Cut through the trunk lining with a steak knife. Cut away 3 sides, so it would flap back into place later. Got the manual out of the trunk and thought about my next move for a day.
Through research, I noticed a small lever above the latch when the trunk lid liner is removed. This lever is the linkage attachment that goes to the key pushbutton. I sharpened a 3 foot long 3/8" rod to a sharp point. I stuck my arm through the back seat opening and pushed the point of the rod to make a clean hole through the trunk liner, about 1 inch aboove the latch, even with the left (passanger)side of it. The lever moves towards the drivers side of the car to release the latch, so I wiggled around the hole trying to move the little lever. After 2 minutes - success!!! The trunk popped open. Folded the flap back down in the rear of the trunk, and it really doesn't look too bad. Put the foam back behind the armrest (left out the metal plate)and re-attached the velcro to hold the leather flap. There is the one hole I made, but you really have to look up inside to see it and it is pretty small. Repaired the latch linkage and I'm done. I am convinced however, that success depends on exectly where you poke the hole through the trunk liner.

Hope this helps anyone who finds themself in a similar situation.

Jerry
1995 525i 5 speed 178,000 miles

1995 525i 5 speed manual, 12/94 build date

Ross
10-26-2007, 10:17 AM
I haven't tried it but it sounds good.
No need to cut the interior liner of the trunk behind the seat though. It installs with four of those plastic buttons that push on/ screw off. They will pull off as well with a liitle more force.

632 Regal
10-26-2007, 11:23 AM
not unless the trunk is opened or you cut a whole in the liner.

No need to cut the interior liner of the trunk behind the seat though. It installs with four of those plastic buttons that push on/ screw off. They will pull off as well with a liitle more force.

Ross
10-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Nope, the divider panel is attatched on threaded studs with those plastic...knobs or buttons, whatever they are called.
The OP said to bash out the metal and cut the trim. No need to cut the trim Jeff. It'll push off into the trunk.