PDA

View Full Version : E34 Manual Gearbox - jumping out of first gear

jasrob
10-24-2007, 11:15 PM
For some time now, my '89 E34 535i manual has had issues with jumping out of first gear when taking off. It happens most often when the car has recently been started, but not so much after it warms up. The clutch will actually engage, but the gear shift will jump out just as you start to move, sometimes quite violently. Not great when you are trying to pull out into oncoming traffic, or when taking off at the lights.

My mechanic checked the detent springs and said they are fine. He thinks there is an issue with the first gear "slider" (whatever that means - I do not know the inner workings of gearboxes that well). He thinks it would cost minimum AUD$1200 to repair and said most of the cost would be in parts and that is assuming that there is nothing else wrong once they open the box.

Anyone experienced this before? Is it a better option to get a second-hand or reconditioned box for half the price? (I could put it in myself). Anyone in Australia (Melbourne) know where the best place to find one might be?

Thanks!

infurno
10-24-2007, 11:32 PM
This happened to me once. It hit so hard my hand went numb.
Never found out why.

Qube
10-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Hold on... http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=33598

compmore
10-26-2007, 05:22 AM
try asv they are australia wide and seem to have most secondhand bmw stuff

EngPhys09
10-28-2007, 09:58 AM
Its likely your first gear synchronizer going. My friend had that happen to him in his Camaro and had to rebuild the trans.

It is a daunting task and lots to do but very worth while i have plan to rebuild my motor, trans and rear end within the year.

Are there any good locations to get parts for 5spd and rear ends? I've found my engine parts I think I want.

jasrob
10-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the link - I might give it a go with the Redline MTL - worth a shot for a reasonably small $ outlay. I'll let you know how it goes!

jasrob
11-27-2007, 06:51 AM
Problem solved! I bought the Redline MTL some time ago, but only last week got around to doing the oil change. I have now been driving for a week and have not experienced the same problem again. Hooray! Thanks for the tip Qube - you've saved me a lot of $$$.

For those who live in Australia and are after some reasonable prices for good oils (like Redline), try www.performancelub.com - the guy who I got the MTL off was great to deal with - turned out he lived only a couple of suburbs away from me (in Melbourne) and let me come and pick the stuff up from his house to save me on postage.

Qube
11-27-2007, 09:21 AM
NP, that's why we're here. Learn from other's experiences ;)

rob101
11-27-2007, 03:15 PM
E34 535i 5 speeds are rare in Aus; and pretty much everywhere else.
Though I have seen a few 5 speed boxes advertised in wreckers/junk yards in the USA.
I'm casualy on the lookout for one...
not as rare as a manual 525i m50 non-vanos. luckily there are alot of 3er m50s around with similar gearboxes.
Think the e28 m30 gearboxes fit the e34 anyway.

Ken35i
11-27-2007, 06:03 PM
E34 535i 5 speeds are rare in Aus; and pretty much everywhere else.
Though I have seen a few 5 speed boxes advertised in wreckers/junk yards in the USA.
I'm casualy on the lookout for one...

myles
11-28-2007, 03:12 AM
German Wrecking in Brisbane had one (E34 535i manual) in stock when I was there a couple of weeks ago.