PDA

View Full Version : New Idle Control Valve + New Hose = same problem

SnakeyesTx
10-24-2007, 05:48 PM
So I took the car in yesterday since I don't have access to a lift at the moment and I really didn't have time to crawl under the car anyway. My local mechanic and I have known each other for years so I get a good deal anyway.

We pulled the line coming off the intake elbow that goes down to the Idle Control Valve (it was split right at the mold-seam causing some vacuum leakage). Ordered a new one, and while taking off the end that attaches to the ICV, there was a little bit of oil on it. The valve itself had a little bit of oil too. While we were in there, we removed the dead adult blue jay that was crammed into the little box behind the alternator. Yeah... you read that correctly, somehow, a full-grown blue jay crawed under the car, weaved past the radiator and hoses, climbed down into the alternator cooler pipe, then I guess got trapped until I drove unbeknowingly with it in the pipe and rammed him farther and farther down till he met his fate behind the alternator! My mechanic was shocked as was I, and when he tried to pull on its tail feathers to get it out, it snapped about 3 inches of his rear-end off with them... cooked like jerked chicken; Who knows how long that poor guy was in there.

So... new ICV and new line.

Driving home from the shop, the acceleration does seem to be nicer and throttle response is better but I think that's more of the vacuum issue resolved. Idle is still crappy. The light came on after sitting in traffic for you guessed it, one to two minutes. The ass-end of the car started bobbing up and down again and I started feeling like a retard.

Check engine light code keeps coming up 1221 (o2 sensor). It was changed last year along with the corresponding white-topped relay. What the hell is going on? :(

Thread of reference before the change : http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=35654

Milkboot
10-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Well it ain't Chicken and Biscuit's!

Turbo Ready
10-24-2007, 07:51 PM
Did you guys check the coil packs?

Sometimes you can have ignition problems and the OBDII will throw an o2 or emissions code. A method used a lot is spraying the coil packs with wd40, knew 3 people who did it here and proved to be coil packs.

Milkboot
10-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Well I am just afraid that your car has a taste for blood now. Gonna think twice about parking next to it at work. Just make sure you keep your dog clear of it :P

SnakeyesTx
10-24-2007, 08:18 PM
As in spraying the outside section or pull them free of the plug and spraying the boots?

Turbo Ready
10-24-2007, 08:48 PM
As in spraying the outside section or pull them free of the plug and spraying the boots?

Outside first with engine running while observing idle.

Morgenster
10-25-2007, 07:49 AM
Outside first with engine running while observing idle.

How does that help? And wouldn't it be dangerous? I can imagine the coils and boots' performance being worse when the engine gets up to temp but wouldn't that affect running in general and not just idle?
I might just try it myself because my idle and throttle response are much slower when up to temp.

Anyway, Snakeeyes problem seems to be temperature related and I'm still wondering about his TPS and coolant or air temp sensors.

SnakeyesTx
10-25-2007, 01:07 PM
How does that help? And wouldn't it be dangerous? I can imagine the coils and boots' performance being worse when the engine gets up to temp but wouldn't that affect running in general and not just idle?
I might just try it myself because my idle and throttle response are much slower when up to temp.

Anyway, Snakeeyes problem seems to be temperature related and I'm still wondering about his TPS and coolant or air temp sensors.

Well, when I get home from work today I'm going to pull the coils one by one and look for a fouler-than-others plug. Then I can inspect the coils themselves for burn/arc marks like I found before.

Note to others : If you buy the Borg-Warner Coils from O'Reilly's (rebuilt stock ones), they carry a life-time warranty. If you have a friend that works at one, just bring a bad one to him after buying one to warranty it out ;)