PDA

View Full Version : 91 M5

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-24-2007, 12:33 PM
OOOh, looks what's for sale in my backyard...

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/car/457036115.html

What do you think?

What should I look out for?

Price?

Dave M
10-24-2007, 12:47 PM
$10k? Thats pretty cheap isn't it? Maybe due to the mileage.

It warrants a look, and drive at least :D
Dave M

Sam-Son
10-24-2007, 01:22 PM
yeah its low cus of mileage 162k on an M5 seems like alot IMO

Elekta
10-24-2007, 02:53 PM
check if post tensioner has been replaced.

check threads on the m5board.com on maintenance. see if the seller will give you the repair history to examine. insist on a PPI.

mileage is no big deal if big ticket repair items are completed.

Ross
10-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Buy it!
No it's too expensive and you'll spend even more on it, be sensible.
Buy it you pussy, you know you want it.
It's an old car that's probably been driven hard.
It's fast and fun, F the money and time, buy it.
You'll be sorry Bob, how many cars must you have?
No guts no glory. It has your name on it.

I hate it when stuff I can't resist turns up.

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Buy it!

Ha ha haaa, sounds like that little devil sitting on my shoulder

Jr ///M5
10-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Here's the rub Bob....if you don't buy it, you'll always wonder what it would have been like to own one of these cars.

If you do buy it, and pour your heart and soul into it, (along with copious amounts of cash) when the time comes to sell it, you'll never be able to decide what to replace it with.....it's that good.

Go get the damn thing BOB!!! Money don't care who owns it!

=) JR

Sam-Son
10-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Buy it its a chance to own a legend. I know no matter how fast I make my car it ISN'T an M5. Buy it you won't regret it

Turbo Ready
10-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Buy it!

Funny guy Ross, but practical, very practical :D

BTW, looks like a nice car, I would look at it if I were you.

bahnstormer
10-24-2007, 08:39 PM
there aren't going to be too many on your island...

Paul in NZ
10-25-2007, 03:57 AM
it cant hurt to look.....but like many on this board sense may leave you once you have got your butt in the seat and you experience the sound six throttle bodies can make,it really is hair raising once you get the throttle open and the revs climb.....

Robin-535im
10-25-2007, 11:24 AM
I myself passed up an e34 M5. She was white, 75k miles, very clean, only $15k, three years ago.

Often I think what it would have been like... I spent the money on the house instead, but damn it - I could have slept in the car just as well!!

Buy it for a while and enjoy it. You can always sell it, market is pretty consistent for them.

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-25-2007, 02:47 PM
it cant hurt to look.....but like many on this board sense may leave you once you have got your butt in the seat and you experience the sound six throttle bodies can make,it really is hair raising once you get the throttle open and the revs climb.....

I am screwed...my wife wants to look at it too..If she gets hooked...I'll just have to write the check, and she drives off with it.

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-26-2007, 01:17 AM
Well I checked it out...nice car, lotsa love, lotsa power.

Didn't fall in love ...was kinda like meeting a beautiful woman, but no sparks...maybe too much traffic to feel the love of the S38.

Needs a little more love ....got some rust bubbles on the sunroof panel, rear pass door, some scratches and nicks...no dents, rear self leveling gone.

What do you guys think.....

Sam-Son
10-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Well I checked it out...nice car, lotsa love, lotsa power.

Didn't fall in love ...was kinda like meeting a beautiful woman, but no sparks...maybe too much traffic to feel the love of the S38.

Needs a little more love ....got some rust bubbles on the sunroof panel, rear pass door, some scratches and nicks...no dents, rear self leveling gone.

What do you guys think.....

from the sound of it. it really does sound like a 10k car. since you'll be savin money on the price you have more to put into it. In my experience it is alway best to get the best example of a car you can find it'll cost you less in the long run...but if most of its problems are cosmetic and if you really want it I'd say go for it...but if it has rust like you say it might have even nore rust in other areas, also it says it needs a new A/C compressor.

Springfield1952
10-26-2007, 03:29 PM
As a point of reference I paid $12K for my '91 M5 18 months ago. No rust on it and 110K miles. Self leveling was also an issue but I replaced the accumulators and that took care of the problem. As you probably already know, they are very addictive once you spend a little time driving them.

Good luck with the decision.

Paul in NZ
10-26-2007, 08:49 PM
there is a thread onan m5 board where you can exchange the sls units for refurbed ones ...linkage (http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96883)..actually more about the EDC units on the E39 ,but he can refurb the SLS units too it seems.
wouldnt have though that rust would have been a big issue in Hawai.

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-26-2007, 08:59 PM

Just a few bubbles, not through the paint yet.

I just kinda picky when it comes to dropping 10k

MTechnik540i
10-26-2007, 09:06 PM
there is a thread onan m5 board where you can exchange the sls units for refurbed ones ...linkage (http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96883)..actually more about the EDC units on the E39 ,but he can refurb the SLS units too it seems.

Maybe along the coast w/ the high salt content. That's the only thing I can think of.

These cars are really addicting, just like anything, you've got to pace yourself on fixes/modifications. Just be very 'choosey' while looking for these, ~$12k later I can honestly say it's VERY important!

Paul in NZ
10-26-2007, 09:28 PM
you better not read this bob.... (http://www.tyc0746.f2s.com/Articles/files/Autocar11-94-M5vsXJRvsS6.pdf)

RockJock
10-27-2007, 04:51 PM
I've also been looking at one. Black, about 90K miles on the clock, one owner 4 about the same price as the one you're looking at. No rust that I could see except a tiny bit on two of the chrome inserts on the lower door trims. Paint looks good (peeking out from under a $hit load of dust, grime & leaves), couple of minor little cosmetic issues. Here's the kicker ..... the tranny is pooched, but if the compression & leak-down check out, I'll buy it, spend 3K and drop a Blanton tranny into it.

These cars are soooo much fun!! :D

MTechnik540i
10-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Here's the kicker ..... the tranny is pooched, but if the compression & leak-down check out, I'll buy it, spend 3K and drop a Blanton tranny into it.

$3k? I was under the impression that a build for a G280 from Jim was closer to like ~$4,500?

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Just offered the guy $8,500...he's a think'n about it.

I figured I gotta replace the A/C compressor, convert to R134, fix the rust and rock chips...clean up the odd stuff.

RockJock
10-27-2007, 11:53 PM
$3k? I was under the impression that a build for a G280 from Jim was closer to like ~$4,500?

I haven't talked with Jim yet, the 3K was a guestimate based on the $2,800 I recently spent on one of his 260/6's (delivered) and the following info: http://www.bmwe34m5.com/node/102

Considering the relentless thrashing the US $ has been taking, 4.5K probably isn't that bad for a Blanton G280 either.

Ross
10-28-2007, 08:16 AM
I knew we could instigate this.

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-28-2007, 05:48 PM
Whoo hoo...It's Mine

Sam-Son
10-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Whoo hoo...It's Mine
Holy crap Congrats man!!! Pics of course as soon as possible. Enjoy it...wait I don't need to tell you that

MTechnik540i
10-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Whoo hoo...It's Mine

Congrats!

RockJock
10-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Whoo hoo...It's Mine

That's awesome!

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-28-2007, 11:54 PM
Here's a teaser of her rear

MTechnik540i
10-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Here's a teaser of her rear

Very nice! From your picture it appears the PO (or one of them) has properly aligned the 'M5' badge also.

Let's see more pictures!

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-29-2007, 12:19 AM
Very nice! From your picture it appears the PO (or one of them) has properly aligned the 'M5' badge also.

Let's see more pictures!

Eeeh, I hope it was the crew at BMW that put it on

MTechnik540i
10-29-2007, 07:21 AM
Eeeh, I hope it was the crew at BMW that put it on

The lack of fading of the M tri-colors leads me to believe it might have been changed...But, who knows.

Ross
10-29-2007, 10:59 AM
Unless the M badges are better than the roundels it would have been due for a change. I don't know which badges are worse, the old potmetal ones or the cheezy plastic replacements. I've spent hundreds on these damn things over the years, don't sweat a badge replacement.
Congrats on the car, my fingers crossed for no surprises.

Sam-Son
10-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Come on lets see some proper pics!!!

ILoveMPower
10-29-2007, 11:19 AM
First thing you need to do now is empty about two full tanks driving the thing!

Enjoy it! That's what it's made for! Congrats on the purchase

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks guys,

She's got a Jim Blaton trans, Billy Boat SS cat back system, and she been recently serviced.

But....

The ol' girl can use a little more love.

The T stars are on funny, some going this way, some going that way

Interior needs a few finishing touches

A/C needs work

Neeeds new hood and trunk struts

Paint has some rock chips and a few scratches

My wife was already asking if she would enjoy driving it

Sam-Son
10-29-2007, 01:43 PM
people keep talking about jim blanton trannies. what are they? they arent the stock M trans are they?

Paul in NZ
10-29-2007, 02:06 PM
be interesting to hear what your wife thinks of it....heavyish clutch,slowish trans .....etc etc

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-29-2007, 02:28 PM
be interesting to hear what your wife thinks of it....heavyish clutch,slowish trans .....etc etc

I don't know, she's kind of spoiled with her M50TU powered Touring.

She'll probably just leave it to me

Ross
10-29-2007, 04:15 PM
I don't know, she's kind of spoiled with her M50TU powered Touring.

She'll probably just leave it to me
You're a bad man.

MTechnik540i
10-29-2007, 08:38 PM
The rebuilt transmission is a HUGE plus, kudos on that. Sounds like you got a relatively sound car.

people keep talking about jim blanton trannies. what are they? they arent the stock M trans are they?

If you Google his name, you'll find out.

He's a very reputable Transmission/Differential builder. People just coin their trannies a "Blanton transmission" after it's been built by Jim.

nixter
10-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Welcome to the club!

Here are your new homes...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=4

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bmwe34m5/

nix