PDA

View Full Version : Scary wandering to right?!?!?!

ck1995
10-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Hello all,

My E34 has started a scary new habit. This only happens at 50mph or above; When making a suddle right turn, (such as when the interstate slowly curves to the right), it suddenly feels like someone grabs the wheel and yanks it to the right but the wheel doesn't move just the steering track. It isn't severe enough that it takes me out of my lane, but for a split second it feels like you have no control of the car!

Although I have basic mechanical knowledge and have tackled alot of projects, I don't really know much about the suspension set up at all. Upon checking for this problem, if I grab the front left wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock I get movement about the same as what I feel driving.

After jacking the car up, it appears that, it is where the tie-rod connects with a small arm that connects with the frame is the origin of this issue. As when I shake the rotor this is where the movement is. Assuming that is my issue, how hard is it to change this and how much has to be replaced to rectify. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave M
10-24-2007, 11:30 AM
I don't understand what you mean by As when I shake the rotor this is where the movement is. Are you saying that you can move the tie rod end via the rotor/hub without the center tie rod moving (# 9)? OR, is it moving # 9, but not moving # 10 (pitman arm).

It could either be the connection between your pitman arm and the center tie rod or the connection at the splines on the pitman arm (left side of #10) . Otherwise, its something else down the line??

Threw in a couple more photos of the area in caes they can help explain things.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Steering-Suspension/steeringcomponents.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Steering-Suspension/puller.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Steering-Suspension/F.jpg

e34.535i.sport
10-25-2007, 02:45 AM
Could it be the idler arm bushing you're talking about? #14/15? If so apparently not that difficult to change, and relatively cheap.

Ferret
10-25-2007, 02:59 AM
Could it be the idler arm bushing you're talking about? #14/15? If so apparently not that difficult to change, and relatively cheap.

I found that when my TDs's balljoints were totally shot, it used to have this annoying tendancy to suddenly try and pull to one side - and usually do it after you changed something - IE took the power off, hit the brakes or started steering.

I'd check the balljoints at the bottom of the shock and try wiggling the knuckle around with the wheel off - the bottom of the strut would move in and out by about a centimeter causing the car to veere off...

e34.535i.sport
10-27-2007, 11:07 AM
I found that when my TDs's balljoints were totally shot, it used to have this annoying tendancy to suddenly try and pull to one side - and usually do it after you changed something - IE took the power off, hit the brakes or started steering.

I'd check the balljoints at the bottom of the shock and try wiggling the knuckle around with the wheel off - the bottom of the strut would move in and out by about a centimeter causing the car to veere off...

Very good point made by Ferret...

CK - Do you tend to have a wobble on the wheel after going over a bump? I did and jacked the car up and could move the wheel around a fair bit... If you look on the inside when you do it you might find the lower control arm balljoint is goosed. I could see mine moving clearly around and up and down. Changed it and the other side and it totally transformed the drive. Worth a check?!