PDA

View Full Version : E39 buying tips?

Snork
10-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Well, the family accord has blown a headgasket (finally) and now my dad wants to get an e39, we settled on a 528i for the mix of good mileage and and reliable engine.
Our budget is about 7-11k. Now, I most of the quirks and things to watch out for on an e34, does anyone know these things about e39s? What milage is best to get? As low as possible or after some major service landmark? What is the best combination of features to get (is sports package any good, etc.). Is it as easy to work on as an e34?

winfred
10-24-2007, 11:59 AM
sport is nice, single vanos is a little better engine in my opinion, cooling systems and ac compressors are 100k miles parts, so are front struts and rear suspension lower ball joints, window regulators are complete **** on all corners, big heavy wheels make them shimmey just like a e34, plastic interior stuff sucks bad and interior gets ugly fast

BMWCCA1
10-24-2007, 06:13 PM
I'll simply add that I believe the 530i gets better mileage than the 528i and the 525i probably beats them both. You might want to check into: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bmwe39/

Snork
10-24-2007, 09:24 PM
I know that the 530 is the best in terms of power and technology, but all of them are at least 16k, which is over our budget. There's a 5-speed 528 touring sport in maine that we're hoping to check out.

BMWCCA1
10-25-2007, 06:23 AM
Yeah, that budget thing hung me up, too. That's why I chose an E34! But check out the E39 Yahoo group. It's one of the best if you're looking for real and useful information on those cars.

Snork
10-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Dammit, that Maine one was already sold. I'll have a hell of a time finding another 5 speed touring with sports package. Probably won't even happen.

Robin-535im
10-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Dammit, that Maine one was already sold. I'll have a hell of a time finding another 5 speed touring with sports package. Probably won't even happen.
There are two on autotrader right now, neither are sports models though. You can usually tell by the trim - the sports models have the blackout window trim, regular models have chrome. Often the text in the ad either leaves it out or says it's a sports when it isn't.

Good luck!

Hey, for only $25k you can get a 2003 540iT with a sports package...

splower
10-25-2007, 11:45 AM
The i6 models all have rack/pinion steering vs the steering box on the v8 models, so feel sharper at the steering wheel. The radiators are made of plastic and prone to cracks (i've just had to change mine, decided to do the hoses and pump while I was at it).
The cup holders are a bit rubbish, but the interior tends to look good unless the previous owner didnt look after it.
The rear suspension is more complex, so there's lots more bushings/ball joints that can wear out.

Snork
10-25-2007, 02:55 PM
If only there was a alpine white 95 e34 around here in manual, I'd just get that and give my dad my car. It seems like all of them are automatic

BMWCCA1
10-25-2007, 03:35 PM
The i6 models all have rack/pinion steering vs the steering box on the v8 models, so feel sharper at the steering wheel. That's not a given, though I'd much rather have an I-6 than a V8 myself. Personally I find the rack-and-pinion too touchy on-center to the extent they just don't go down the road straight without lots of correction. Seemingly not as bad with the 17" wheels and fatter tires of the sport package though.
The radiators are made of plastic and prone to cracksThey're plastic on the E34, too. And the E28, too. The E39's are just made of really crappy (recyclable?) plastic that won't last more than 60k, it seems. Some say it's worse on the V8s, but I don't believe it.

If only there was a alpine white 95 e34 around here in manual, I'd just get that and give my dad my car.You mean like my sig? Don't worry; one will show up as soon as you buy an E39! ;)

Snork
10-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Lucky! Well after some browsing, it's now down to either a 328i sport sedan or a 540i 6 speed (not sport). Both sound nice, but I'm really nervous about an m60, I heard they're maintenance nightmares and drink gas like it's going out of style. But the power! I'll find out this saturday when i check out the e36

Snork
10-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Oh and about the rack and pinion thing, I have a 92 525i and it has recirculating ball steering so there you are.

BMWCCA1
10-26-2007, 12:30 AM
If the 540i 6-speed is an E34, then it's a sport. Maybe not an M-sport, but a sport. That's the only way they came; sport seats, lowered suspension, etc. Good luck. Hope you find something your dad likes.

Of course if it's an E34 you know to check for the Alusil replacement block, right? All E39 V8s are already Alusil blocks.

Snork
10-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I know about the whole nikasil fiasco. My dad doesn't want a V8 car, he's no speed demon. If that e36 is as good as the owner says, we'll just get that. It's a nice car, my friend has a 328is and it feels solid and well made; also spending 4k as opposed to 8-10k is nice. In any case, I might as well change it up and get something other than an e34 and something that is obd2 cause this car is giving me enough problems with its emissions failure, but that's a whole other story. We'll see on saturday. Thanks for your help, guys.

Snork
10-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Well that e36 did not work out in the least. The "perfect" car turned out to be dented in the front and had two replaced doors and a sagging bodykit. Right away I knew I couldn't trust that slick guy who was basically a small dealer. This is why I don't like buying cars from Russians. I say this being one myself; but in my experience, Russian mechanics always do a rush job and try to make you feel guilty for demanding better quality. Oh well, back to looking for an e39 or a post 95 e36 4 door

Snork
10-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Well, my new e39 is an e36 m4 sedan... I guess I got a bit carried away. It had only one owner though and has extensive maintenance for a low low price of 7k!