PDA

View Full Version : test your Mechanical Aptitude

winfred
10-19-2007, 08:26 PM
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizzes/MechanicalAptitude.php

i got one wrong, ****ed up and didn't click on all of my choices once, had a differing opinion on a definition and one question was effected by perspective and subject to two of the choices being possible answers

in other words i got 4 wrong for a score of 460 %92

Rus
10-19-2007, 08:27 PM
92 here as well :) The pulley systems got me I think.

winfred
10-19-2007, 08:34 PM
you can review at the end, that's how i know my results

92 here as well :) The pulley systems got me I think.

Macv
10-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Ehh I missed 10. Did a LOT better than I thought I'd do.

Great find/post!

Elekta
10-19-2007, 10:23 PM
I got a 62

looks like university of illinois

gale
10-20-2007, 12:34 AM
:d

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-20-2007, 02:03 AM
90%, not as clever as winfred, no excuses tho!

whiskychaser
10-20-2007, 03:06 AM
80%. Think thats good enough for a Desmond:)

g7syw
10-20-2007, 06:00 AM
82% - the weights & pulleys got me...

Ross
10-20-2007, 06:07 AM
430/86% After reviewing I noticed I misread one of the questions. So I claim 88%
The leverage questions with block and tackle got me.

Ferret
10-20-2007, 08:24 AM
490/98%

Slipped on question 45, balloons - speed reading and missed there was the same amount of gas inside each balloon!

mikell
10-20-2007, 08:46 AM
90% - and I knew I screwed up one answer as soon as I clicked "next" and couldn't figure out how to go back and correct it. And, I also disagreed on one definition - what's the diff between suction and atmospheric pressure? Same diff, as far as I can see - no atmospheric, no suction, since suction is the result of a pressure differential.
Great post, though - I'm sending it to some friends.

Ferret
10-20-2007, 08:50 AM
90% - and I knew I screwed up one answer as soon as I clicked "next" and couldn't figure out how to go back and correct it. And, I also disagreed on one definition - what's the diff between suction and atmospheric pressure? Same diff, as far as I can see - no atmospheric, no suction, since suction is the result of a pressure differential.
Great post, though - I'm sending it to some friends.

Yeah I thought that suction question was a bit crafty, was going to answer 'suction' but then remembered a quote from my old physics teacher 'there's no such thing as suction, only pressure differentials!'

icesoft
10-20-2007, 04:01 PM
470/94%

Missed the one on the fans - depends on what is meant by "same direction" The blades will spin the same direction, but the un-powered fan will be spinning in the opposite direction of the powered fan.

Brakes (misinterpreted the cause/effect relationship and selected deceleration instead of friction)

Suction/Atmospheric - trick question

genphreak
10-20-2007, 04:27 PM
ROFL... just got 82%. I knew I got the mechanical motion principle one wrong the moment I hit next:( chose deceleration instead of friction... knew the moment I did it. Got all the fluids and electronics ones right. I don't know how I managed to think that suction from the movement of the piston caused fuel-air mixture to enter a cylinder... damned trick questions everywhere!!!

The rest of my errors were simply not paying attention to diagrams enough (watch the worm!)... excepting my really poor working knowledge of pulleys (combined with an appaling lack of understanding of anything mechanical)...

Awesome test though- a really decent and practical use of PHP! The best online test (technically) I've seen... except one could probably hack it...

Great find Winfred!

Dave M
10-20-2007, 05:38 PM
Yeah I thought that suction question was a bit crafty, was going to answer 'suction' but then remembered a quote from my old physics teacher 'there's no such thing as suction, only pressure differentials!'

Yep, same here. Wasn't it phrased "vacuum". Is that not valid ? Anyhow, sounds as though we've messed up a variety of categories (except ferret who only needs to slow down).

Where did evryone learn electronics / wiring. I got evey one RONG. Fine with the pulleys though.

82% for the pass. See you guys at the bar ;)

Dave

Paul in NZ
10-20-2007, 06:28 PM
78 i wasnt really paying enough attention i think i got the electronic one right,i know from you guys i got suction and decell wrong on the brakes.I might try again when the rugby is finished :(

LunatiC
10-20-2007, 06:59 PM
78 here. Not bad for someone who failed physicals and of self-confessed non-mechanical mind. I kicked ass in the electricals though :)

A few of the questions were really common sense. Eg. the cans question. I was surprised that i got the multi-pulley question correct (q14).

I'm talking to rob101 at the moment in MSN as he's doing the test, should be interesting to see how he goes ;)

Paul in NZ
10-20-2007, 07:09 PM
i had another go and paid a bit more attention this time,the weight and pulleys got me,and i only got about half of the opposte rotating pulleys..i didnt review at the end of the first one,but you guys helped me with a couple!

RichG
10-23-2007, 09:56 AM
I got a 94%. I guess the engineering degree fits.

I would like to point out that on some of the pulley questions, they are saying a kilogram is a force. A kg is not a force, but a unit of mass. The force should be in newtons.

yeah, yeah...picky I know.

And I don't think there's much difference in saying suction from the piston going down or atmospheric pressure pushing it in unless they're referring back to the "naturally aspirated engine" where there would still be a reduction in pressure due to the piston going down, but there might be more than atmospheric pressure pushing it in.

Gearhead
10-24-2007, 02:08 PM
96% here. I misread the planetary gear answers and I was (admittedly) stumped by the water flow/venturi question. I guess I get to keep my air tools... :)

632 Regal
10-24-2007, 03:59 PM
I passed! Woot

attack eagle
10-24-2007, 05:35 PM
98%
11: the worm gear turning caught me out

I'm disappointed in myself, I usually score 100% on things like that... :D scored 100% on all the sections of the ASVAB when i took it in high school.

To answer someone's question about electrical, one grandfather owned a national known neon sign shop, the other worked toll office for BellSouth. i learned to read electrical diagrams when I was about 12. :p

Morgenster
10-25-2007, 07:10 AM
Heh. 90, but I claim 92 for misreading and 94 if you consider atmospheric pressure to be equal everywhere except up or down in the atmosphere.
Not bad for a psychologist I'd say.

RallyD
10-25-2007, 07:49 AM
90%
Loved it.
Now I know what my Technology students will be doing tomorrow.

bmwrp8
10-25-2007, 11:09 AM
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizzes/MechanicalAptitude.php

i got one wrong, ****ed up and didn't click on all of my choices once, had a differing opinion on a definition and one question was effected by perspective and subject to two of the choices being possible answers

in other words i got 4 wrong for a score of 460 %92

Umm i failed@$%$# can I just pay?:D

peks
10-25-2007, 11:18 AM
94%

the q on air getting into the cylinder is bad

DueyT
10-28-2007, 12:12 PM
96...semantics on some, agree with the fan question...rotationally the same direction to a fixed frame of reference, but opposite regarding the individual fan's reference (i.e. opposite as seen from behind, etc...) Forgot the other one I tubed...

Fun over all, though.