PDA

View Full Version : time to order some cheap brakes

taseal
10-19-2007, 11:41 AM
my car's brakes are in BAD CONDITION (like you can see through the rear rotors) and I finally got a little bit of cash to spend... I think brakes are my priority before anything right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E34-SERIES-front-BRAKE-KIT-525-535-530-292-List_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQihZ015QQite mZ8054287769

i found that kit for the fronts, and I need something for the back.....

but is there any place you guys reccomend I check? I really need to get these brakes changed, and I don't mind if they are the cheap stuff... anything is better than what I have right now.

taseal
10-19-2007, 11:54 AM
oh, and when I brake, my wheel 'shimmies' (like vibrates pretty crazy, wheel goes left and right lol)

this is due to bad brakes I heard, correct?

Dr. evil
10-19-2007, 12:19 PM
oh, and when I brake, my wheel 'shimmies' (like vibrates pretty crazy, wheel goes left and right lol)

this is due to bad brakes I heard, correct?

warped rotors can do that

Torque
10-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Don't get that junk. If you want cheap, buy opparts rotors and a set of pads of your choice from bma ... it should cost about the same and you'll actually get decent brakes as opposed to this no name junk.

taseal
10-20-2007, 12:27 AM
Don't get that junk. If you want cheap, buy opparts rotors and a set of pads of your choice from bma ... it should cost about the same and you'll actually get decent brakes as opposed to this no name junk.

where shall i get that from?

nuclearfusion
10-20-2007, 01:26 AM
I really hope you're not offended if I say so - but please don't buy cheapy brake parts if there's any way at all to avoid it. Your health and safety (and that of your passengers, not to mention that of others on the road!) are at stake.

There are many threads here about rotors, pads, etc. and they are easy to search. Tons of good information about all the options, sources, etc. Many users here really like BMA - Yves and Patrick there are terrific and take good care of members of this forum. Free shipping for online orders, etc.

I personally like Balo rotors and Akebono ceramic pads. There are many other good options as well. ATE rotors, Raybestos QS pads, etc...

Enjoy!

Fusion

p.s. - It's true that inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean low quality. if you can afford it try to buy Opparts rotors or better. There are good inexpensive pads too - the PBR/Axxis Deluxe (or whatever is the current equivalent) comes to mind. If I were doing an E34 brake job for a friend on a tight budget that's probably where I'd start.

taseal
10-20-2007, 08:01 AM
I really hope you're not offended if I say so - but please don't buy cheapy brake parts if there's any way at all to avoid it. Your health and safety (and that of your passengers, not to mention that of others on the road!) are at stake.

There are many threads here about rotors, pads, etc. and they are easy to search. Tons of good information about all the options, sources, etc. Many users here really like BMA - Yves and Patrick there are terrific and take good care of members of this forum. Free shipping for online orders, etc.

I personally like Balo rotors and Akebono ceramic pads. There are many other good options as well. ATE rotors, Raybestos QS pads, etc...

Enjoy!

Fusion

p.s. - It's true that inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean low quality. if you can afford it try to buy Opparts rotors or better. There are good inexpensive pads too - the PBR/Axxis Deluxe (or whatever is the current equivalent) comes to mind. If I were doing an E34 brake job for a friend on a tight budget that's probably where I'd start.

I take no offense, but I cann't get rotors and pads that is going to cost more than the car itself. if anything, I should not be driving a 20 year old car for the sake of safty of myself and others either. Right now I just need something that works, and that is what my budget allows. I really can't go over about 20 0 bux for all around. I have bills to pay, and I'm really tight on cash.

Ferret
10-20-2007, 08:42 AM
I take no offense, but I cann't get rotors and pads that is going to cost more than the car itself. if anything, I should not be driving a 20 year old car for the sake of safty of myself and others either. Right now I just need something that works, and that is what my budget allows. I really can't go over about 20 0 bux for all around. I have bills to pay, and I'm really tight on cash.

Mate seriously, do not buy cheap pads, you'll kill yourself.

I made this mistake - bought some cheap front pads for about £12 from halfords - first time out nearly killed myself.

The E34 is a heavy car - I did a motorway sprint to finish bedding the pads in - tried to stop from 80 coming up the exit ramp and by the time it had slowed to 30 I had absoloutely /no/ braking power left at all, I had to stop using the parking brake. Shitting bricks all the way down.

The pads were totally frazzled and smoking by the time I pulled over. They were absoloutely fine for stop start traffic and just 'granny' driving the car, but if you pushed them they just stopped working.

If you currently cannot afford it either take the car off the road OR just buy a new decent set of pads to tide you over until you can throw new rotors onto it...

Whatever you choose to do, dont put cheap pads on - they cant cope in emergency situations. Most bits of car repairs I'll skimp on and get 2nd class parts, but not brakes any more.

I learned my lesson.

whiskychaser
10-20-2007, 10:09 AM
You can buy a full set of front and rear pads and discs for about £80 and have them next day for another £12. The ones I have seen are QH. I have them on mine and they work fine. (The only down side is they squeal a bit on wet mornings so maybe they wont be going in again.)
Spoil yourself. Have brakes that work

Jon K
10-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Did this guy really say he can see through his rotors?

Ferret
10-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Did this guy really say he can see through his rotors?

Lol, Jon unless they're glass ceramics, I think you can chalk that one upto sarcasm :P

Jon K
10-20-2007, 11:22 AM
I have seen it though - where a person wore through the rotor surface and had gaps between vents that are cast between the plates...

Torque
10-20-2007, 04:07 PM
where shall i get that from?bmaparts.com or getcoolparts.com depending on if the discount patrick can give you is good enough to bring that price below the getcoolparts price.

taseal
10-21-2007, 11:38 AM
http://picsorban.com/upload/cimg0835%20(large).jpg

I can't drive the car... I have to take alternative ways to drive, so yeah... I need to get brakes, and I'm very low on cash. if I shouldn't get cheap rotors/pads I need to get the cheapest quality stuff, and it can't be more than 200 all together :(

the rest are in decent condition, its just that 1 that you can 'see through'

http://picsorban.com/upload/cimg0836 (large).jpg
http://picsorban.com/upload/cimg0837 (large).jpg

taseal
10-21-2007, 11:39 AM
last one

http://picsorban.com/upload/cimg0838 (large).jpg

taseal
10-21-2007, 12:06 PM
bmaparts.com or getcoolparts.com depending on if the discount patrick can give you is good enough to bring that price below the getcoolparts price.

what is patrick's name on here so I can PM him?

taseal
10-21-2007, 12:11 PM
oh, and the sensors.. I suppose there is 2 on each axle? or is it 1 per axle since wear should be close to same on each side

taseal
10-21-2007, 12:21 PM
hows this look...

http://picsorban.com/upload/brake_oder.jpg

nuclearfusion
10-21-2007, 02:47 PM
hows this look...

Looks OK. You might want to get the better rotors all around. It's a bit more $ but you may be able to offset the cost by virtue of the fact that you might not need a few of the parts on your order screen - specifically you may not need the parking brake shoes, they rarely wear out. And if your brake lining warning lights haven't come on yet you may not need the sensors either. So if you're really sensitive to price you might want to look into the condition of those before placing your order.

Alternately, it's not bad to have this stuff onhand though - if you don't need it you can just keep it around for when the time comes.

If you haven't flushed your brake system recently it would be a good idea to do it. A set of Russell SpeedBleeders make the job quite easy to do.

Also, given that the rotors are very thin and quite rusty it's worth having a very careful look at the condition of your caliper pistons and seals. Even if you don't get into changing these be very sure not to damage the seals when pressing the caliper pistons back into their bores.

Enjoy!

Fusion

Torque
10-21-2007, 02:58 PM
what is patrick's name on here so I can PM him?No no, he's not on here ... you gotta call bmaparts and ask for him.

btw, i just checked both bma and gcp and opparts rotors dont seem to be available any longer. ****, that is not good news for when i need some brakes in the future.

Paul in NZ
10-21-2007, 07:17 PM
do my eyes deceive me or are one of the rotors "split".If you are really tight on cash just get the pair of rotors that you need and the pair of pads you need too.How long since the car has been driven????In the long run it will cost a little more cause you wil have two lots of freight....but dont skimp on the brakes,they are essential to your and others safety...

taseal
10-21-2007, 09:40 PM
do my eyes deceive me or are one of the rotors "split".If you are really tight on cash just get the pair of rotors that you need and the pair of pads you need too.How long since the car has been driven????In the long run it will cost a little more cause you wil have two lots of freight....but dont skimp on the brakes,they are essential to your and others safety...

yeah... i thought I might be able to do that... just get the rears, and fronts look ok....

i mean what do you guys think from those pics? the front rotors don't seem that bad actualy

Paul in NZ
10-21-2007, 11:05 PM
there is a specification for the minimum thickness.You could continue to drive with them at or slightly below if you were not going to drive at high speed or up and down hills.But get the new rotors and or pads as son a you can.As someone else has mentioned the rest of the brake ystem may also need attention......

taseal
10-22-2007, 12:13 AM
yep, def will have fresh fluid and checkout the pistons. I hope those are in good shape