PDA

View Full Version : Transmission swap HELP HELP HELP

Iwo
10-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Ok,

so I got my car about week ago, 1995 525i AUTO
and I decided to change it to manual. I went to 2 different shops and they looked at me like I'm crazy... "Why do you want to change it.." types of questions... Well first it gets very hot near the console area, second it slips from 3rd to 4th.. and the most important car drives like crap with that GM Auto...
Can anybody help me with the list of things that I need (besides transmission hehe) Is it possible to put 6 speed if yes then from which car ???
Clutch.., flywheel.., what else...? Diff ???
I plan eventually to install Supercharger or Turbo.... but first I need to change that transmission.
I live in LA and mechanics are not really friendly... they want to charge me a lot without doing much.... but I don't really know myself what do I need.
Thank you for all the help

winfred
10-18-2007, 10:46 AM
clutch, flywheel, complete shifter assy, complete pedal assy, driveshaft, i can't remember if the tranny crossmember is the same, just get it with the tranny to be safe, you can use the diff thats in the car now but highway revs will be fairly high as the 5 speed is direct drive in 5th, theres a little bit of wiring to disable the neutral safety switch, disable the trans program warning that will be in the cluster and wire up the reverse lights and the cruise switch for the clutch pedal

it's not a huge deal and most if not all of the info can be found here using the search

Iwo
10-18-2007, 10:50 AM
I tried search.. and couldn't find specific info.., just bits of it.
What about 6speed..??? Possible ??? and which diff should I use ???

bmwrp8
10-18-2007, 11:18 AM
I tried search.. and couldn't find specific info.., just bits of it.
What about 6speed..??? Possible ??? and which diff should I use ???

my friend had a 98 320i with m52 changed the engine to m50 2.5 with mAnual 6speed.don't know where the tranny came from though

Ross
10-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Buy a manual trans car with a hurt motor or wrecked. You will have all you need for less than the cost of the "kits" and be able to peddle the rest here to recoup your cost.
If you do it yourself it's a nuts and bolts job I understand, having both cars assures you all the right parts and seeing how it is supposed to go together.