PDA

View Full Version : New Full OBC, but my indicator stalk is not responding.

Calico_NC
10-15-2007, 10:47 PM
I recently got a full OBC (upgraded from just the time,date and temp to full), install went fine, but my indicator stalk doesn't cycle through the OBC options. I read somewhere that if your car phone was unhooked, that the stalk would not operate. My car phone was removed when i got the car, so what do i need to connect in order to get the stalk active again?

attack eagle
10-16-2007, 02:45 AM
look on x32... I found the obc stalk lead because the ETK wiring diagram listed it incorrectly as the phone stalk lead.
Look on a recent post of mine about the phone switch and I'm sure I noted the wire color

Calico_NC
10-16-2007, 09:54 AM
okay now i found it. on my 95', it was under the rear console, close to the cigarette lighter panel. It was a 4 pin connector with only 3 wires attached. I just spliced the two outer wires together.OBC stalk works like a charm! I also have a telephone stalk on my wipers, could that be used for something besides the telephone?

TC535i
10-16-2007, 10:05 AM
little more info for the rest of us??

attack eagle
10-16-2007, 10:10 AM
i used my telephone stalk to trigger phone mute on the head unit for now, and when I get bluetooth installed i will use it to trigger answering, hangup and voice dial

Calico_NC
10-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Problem:

Upgraded my OBC to a full one, but the indicator stalk that controls the OBC wasn't working. From reading previous post from fellow posters, i realized that if you had a car phone and it was taken out of the car, the obc stalk would not function. So, i removed the rear center console where (you should know how to do this, just a couple of screws) and when i lifted it up, i saw a bunch of wires and a connector that was red-yellow-and gray stripped and yellow-red stripped and another color that i forgot. I just took an extra piece of speaker wire i had laying around and spliced it into the outer two wires. So basically the outer two wries are connected together. I dont know how else to explain it.

Once you lift up the console you will see it. It's a tiny connector.

TC535i
10-16-2007, 11:03 AM
I have 3 or 4 connectors for my cell phone under the center console. When I jumpered one of em, the jumper got glowing red hot. When I jumpered another, it gave me an error message.

Can you describe exactly which wires you bridged? Maybe a picture or two?

Calico_NC
10-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Well i put my center console back on, it i wont be able to take it off until a lil later, but the wires i jumped were in a connector that had space for 4 wires, but only 3 were attached. So i jumped wire number 1 with wire number 3( since the 4th slot was empty) I think they are numbered as well. I think on the connector itself it had the words "amp" written on it.

I jumped a couple before i found the right one. The first one i jump was by the hand brake, and it gave me a check control error on the dash, this is not the right one. I then jumped a connector with only two wires attached (i think it was purple and another color that i forgot), nothing happened. The last one i jumped, i got in the back seat and found another connector at the rear of the console, 3 wires connecting to a 4slot connector. I jumped wires 1 and 3, and the obc works now. Look for that connector.

P.S. by jump i mean i just took some tiny speaker wire and plugged it into the holes on the connector. It was faster than splicing all the wrong wires. When u find the right one, then u should splice.

If you cant find the right one, i'll see if i can get you pics.

TC535i
10-16-2007, 12:22 PM
like I said, after my experience with a glowing red hot paperclip and a burn mark on my center console...

could you tell me exactly which colors you jumped?

attack eagle
10-16-2007, 12:56 PM
I'd bet he jumpered the two yellow w/ reds together on that connector. yellow red seems to be the obc wire color as it is the same color underthe dash at x32 and the other connector.

Calico_NC
10-16-2007, 01:02 PM
my cell phone isn't connecting to my PC, but i took some pics. The connector colors are:

Each wire has multiple colors.

1) RED-YELLOW-WHITE
2) GREEN-YELLOW
3) RED-YELLOW

connect wire one with wire three.
Im not sure, but some people say the colors change depending on the year of the car.

The color of the connector itself is Black and yellow

I'll post the pics when i get out of class later.

TC535i
10-16-2007, 01:28 PM
sounds like we have some consensus... yellow/red seems the ticket! I'll let you guys know...

Calico_NC
10-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Here is some pics of the connector i jumped:

This is what i meant by near the rear console.

http://i24.tinypic.com/xn9pvq.jpg

Here's another one:
http://i21.tinypic.com/1zqafde.jpg

Sorry about the quality.

TC535i
10-16-2007, 05:32 PM
nice, I'll probably just jumper the two via the connector holes and tape it in place