PDA

View Full Version : 1995 E34 Euro2: is ti possible? Help please!

525tds95
10-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Hello,
I have an E34 initially built in Germany in April 1995.
It is a 525 tds sw.
Then in December 1998 it was registered in Italy. I bought it in 2004.
It seems it is a so called Euro1 Diesel, based on what is printed on Italian property sheet.
Any chance that actually in origin it was at least Euro2 and that it was a mistake in Italy, when Euro classes for pollution were not so important?
On my property sheet I only see
"It respects CEE Council Directive 93/59"
But in different web sites and newspapers it seems that starting 1994 some cars was Euro 2 yet...
and BMW should be one of the first adopters...
Is there any Euro 2 E34 at all? Any hint from German guys here?
For example if CEE 94/12 applies, it should be Euro2... or 91/542 point 6.2.1.B
Eventually can I give my WBAHG... number to any German entity to be verified? Or also original German number plate?
Any hope it can be Euro2? Otherwise I would have serious problems to go through Milan here in Italy till April 2008 and probably more...

It seems also that in Italy there is not any approved regulation to transform an Euro 1 diesel to a less polluting, even if it seems that from a mechanical point of view it should not so complicate.

Thanks to all in advance! Save my pocket, please!
Gianluca

whiskychaser
10-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Hello,
I have an E34 initially built in Germany in April 1995.
It is a 525 tds sw.
Then in December 1998 it was registered in Italy. I bought it in 2004.
It seems it is a so called Euro1 Diesel, based on what is printed on Italian property sheet.
Any chance that actually in origin it was at least Euro2 and that it was a mistake in Italy, when Euro classes for pollution were not so important?
On my property sheet I only see
"It respects CEE Council Directive 93/59"
But in different web sites and newspapers it seems that starting 1994 some cars was Euro 2 yet...
and BMW should be one of the first adopters...
Is there any Euro 2 E34 at all? Any hint from German guys here?
For example if CEE 94/12 applies, it should be Euro2... or 91/542 point 6.2.1.B
Eventually can I give my WBAHG... number to any German entity to be verified? Or also original German number plate?
Any hope it can be Euro2? Otherwise I would have serious problems to go through Milan here in Italy till April 2008 and probably more...

It seems also that in Italy there is not any approved regulation to transform an Euro 1 diesel to a less polluting, even if it seems that from a mechanical point of view it should not so complicate.

Thanks to all in advance! Save my pocket, please!
Gianluca
You make a very interesting point. I have not heard of the euro1 or 2 applied to cars, only to trucks. With a build year of 1995 I think you are talking euro1. I think the difference between euro1 and 2 is engine tolerances and there is no easy fix for that. But surely BMW IT can advise?

525tds95
10-15-2007, 05:33 PM
I'm going to check with BMW IT...
I already found several german sites that quote an upgrade of the retrofit for about 300-400 euro, so that it can become Euro2.
But I presume it is not (already and will never be) approved by law as a method here in Italy.
Too many interests in making us buy new cars, without actually caring of solving pollution problems.
I hope that as one of the latest produced (April 1995) eventually it already adopted newer regulations...

whiskychaser
10-15-2007, 05:59 PM
I'm going to check with BMW IT...
I already found several german sites that quote an upgrade of the retrofit for about 300-400 euro, so that it can become Euro2.
But I presume it is not (already and will never be) approved by law as a method here in Italy.
Too many interests in making us buy new cars, without actually caring of solving pollution problems.
I hope that as one of the latest produced (April 1995) eventually it already adopted newer regulations...
Am sure you are already careful of sites that offer a quick fix. If it was that easy BMW would offer it as a retro fit? See what BMW IT says. Any chance you could get a better deal registering in CH/A?

Stephan735i
10-16-2007, 07:53 AM
There is no problem... http://www.hotcarparts.de/section/euro2-bmw.html I'm not familiar with the Diesel E34 but for details on the tds I would ask at the German E34 forum www.e34.de (the answer even if you ask in English).

My latest German imported 540i/6 are upgraded to Euro 2 which lowers the road tax in Germany from around €450-500 to less than half, in Sweden it doesn't matter even non Catalyst cars have the same tax (cars from 2002 and older).

Stephan

shogun
10-16-2007, 08:49 AM
Am sure you are already careful of sites that offer a quick fix. If it was that easy BMW would offer it as a retro fit? See what BMW IT says. Any chance you could get a better deal registering in CH/A?

No problem, that is standard in Germany, everyone does it to save taxes.
For the gasoline engine you need for example a GAT system.
Ask on the www.e34.de
they can tell you what is required for diesel engines and if that is also applicable to diesel engines.

525tds95
10-16-2007, 01:52 PM
The problem is that even doing modifications, here in Italy what counts is the way the car came out from factory... so it cannot be considered euro2... sigh
I contacted also a BMW dealer in Milan today and they said it is not feasible
Only chance perhaps would be to sell in Germany, make upgrade, rebuy in Italy with new ownership sheet where "perhaps" it would be written Euro2.... but it is not realistic ;-(

shogun
10-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Ask on the German E34 board as mentioned above.
They can tell you exactly, they can also give you the contact address of BMW in Munich to get info.

shogun
10-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Here the answers on E34 Germany to your question:
There is an oxi-cat available from Twin-Tec for the TDS in Germany. The price is about 250-300 Euro.
There are also a few TDS that were upgradet in the past with a certificate from BMW, but now these certificates are invalid and canīt be used nowadays.
--------------------------------------
hi, I just payed about 202€ for an additional TWIN-TEC Kat if there's not already one under your seat There, must be an OXI-Kat if you have the Euro 1.

At some cars, there is no silencer, just a kat.

For me it was about 250€ all in all... if you buy a kat here in Germany think about the shipping costs to Italy....
---------------------
Prices and source are here for example
http://www.kat-versand.de/Oxi-Kat/O-Bmw/o-bmw.html