PDA

View Full Version : Uneven tire wear, right rear

repenttokyo
10-15-2007, 04:12 PM
The inside of the right rear tire is wearing unevenly. The car is aligned. I have a bedspring like noise over that wheel at times. I have replaced the sway bar endlinks both front and back, and the car is well aligned. any ideas?

Alexlind123
10-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Too much acceleration out of right turns with an open diff?

repenttokyo
10-15-2007, 04:37 PM
it's an lsd, and this car doesn't really "accelerate" all that fast ;) M50 motor. But thanks for letting me imagine that fantasy for a few seconds :)

whiskychaser
10-15-2007, 04:48 PM
it's an lsd, and this car doesn't really "accelerate" all that fast ;) M50 motor. But thanks for letting me imagine that fantasy for a few seconds :)
Is it the lsd that helps you imagine? Lennon would be proud. Just a thought

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-15-2007, 04:57 PM
To use the finnish expression, have you "yumped" the car lately? Either a rear spring has eaten the rubber or bust and is hitting the top pan. Bedspring noise would suggest something is catching and then releasing, a thought?

repenttokyo
10-15-2007, 05:04 PM
To use the finnish expression, have you "yumped" the car lately? Either a rear spring has eaten the rubber or bust and is hitting the top pan. Bedspring noise would suggest something is catching and then releasing, a thought?

i have the suspicion that driving across the country / through the mountains with a full trunk of heavy camping gear ate the rear suspension, so what you are saying does sound like a likely culprit. The reason I have been thinking spring is because the noise really does sound like a bed spring that needs to be oiled. I was under the car while it was on a lift a couple times recently, and couldn't see anything obviously wrong with the spring other than the fact that it was aged...do you think a bad spring could cause the tire wear?

timandbim
10-15-2007, 07:40 PM
dogbones? mine squeak like hell (could call it bedspring-like) and look pretty effed-up...

repenttokyo
10-15-2007, 08:21 PM
mine LOOK ok but that doesn't mean that they are. thank you for the suggestion.

RichG
10-16-2007, 10:38 AM
mine LOOK ok but that doesn't mean that they are. thank you for the suggestion.

I replaced mine about a year ago with some cheap ones and now every time I get in the car, it squeaks. I can push down on the rear of the car and get it bouncing and it sounds like noisy bedsprings. They're not looking the best either. I'll have to replace them with good parts sometime soon. Not sure how they would affect tire were though.

Brandon J
10-16-2007, 10:48 AM
2 things. First, rear shock mounts can go bad as well as bushings, rear bearings. Secondly, the noise can be the shock mount or something loose like tools in the trunk lid or lift jack.

Check the rear shock mounts and jack for noise.

timandbim
10-16-2007, 10:51 AM
i'm going to be in westmount/ndg tomorrow afternoon if you're around and want to compare squeaks... i'm 99% sure that's what it is and have been waiting to deal with a few other bills first (like wheels and tires) before i changed those (although it would be a shame to wreck the new tires now with bad dogbones).... still would like to check your ride too...

Tiger
10-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Yeah... I would say dogbone in this case...

repenttokyo
10-16-2007, 10:04 PM
i'm going to be in westmount/ndg tomorrow afternoon if you're around and want to compare squeaks... i'm 99% sure that's what it is and have been waiting to deal with a few other bills first (like wheels and tires) before i changed those (although it would be a shame to wreck the new tires now with bad dogbones).... still would like to check your ride too...

wish I could, but leaving for Ireland thursday and I don't have time to even turn around!

timandbim
10-17-2007, 03:24 AM
np - you sure get around... have a nice trip!

Podmore
10-17-2007, 06:05 AM
I'd say your right rear dogbone is shot - allowing the wheel to toe-out too much on turns. It's hard to tell when the back of the car is jacked up as the bones are under tension - check with the wheel on the ground and suspension unloaded, I'll bet you can wiggle that sucker around some.

repenttokyo
10-17-2007, 06:59 AM
what would the dogbone be called on BMA's website? Can't seem to find it under rear end / suspension.

timandbim
10-17-2007, 10:46 AM
pitman arms ...i think... i'm pretty sure i have to change mine too.
apparently there is a major difference in quality between different brands, i am still reading about it... don't think it's urgently dangerous.

Tiger
10-17-2007, 04:55 PM
rear pitman arm... yes it is an urgent item especially in wet and slippery condition... will cause car to spin out of control. I think one guy had this happened to him... luckily he and his friend survived with minor injuries... There was another guy... which we didn't know what happened... young guy died. I suspect it can be a couple of things... bad shocks combined with bad dogbone... but never confirmed and is a hypothetical assumption.

I know for sure with bad shock... one bounce and certain angle of turn at the same time will cause uncontrollable spinout... when coupled with bad dogbones would be even more extreme out of control.