PDA

View Full Version : How to Replace Front Fender?

noush
05-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Hi,

I have a dented front fender, and would like to replace it myself. I can't seem to find any resources online on how to complete this task. But, from what I can see on my car, it looks like just a matter of unscrewing some screws, removing the fender, and then putting it all back together again. Can anybody tell me if it's going to be much more complicated that that? Any advise/step by step instructions will be greatly greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

John 535is (Sydney)
05-16-2004, 05:10 PM
Remove the trim in the centre of the bumper cover by easing the trim forward, there are little plastic slots that will unclip.
You will see 4 large nuts holding the front of the bumper cover on, (17 or 19mm can't remember) but undo these.
On each side in front of the wheel arch is a large plastic spring loaded lug, exposed when you remove the trim, turn each 1/4 to 1/2 turn, they should pop out about 5-10 mm when the spring tension is released.
Under the car on the left side below the headlight is a large plasic connector to unplug the fog light wiring loom. While under there, unclip the temperature sensor on the same side clipped into the bumper cover.
If you have side markers, unhook them (Mine doesn't have them so I'm not sure how they are connected).
Slide complete bumper cover forward and off.
The whole thing comes off as 1 peice.
Be carefull where the trim slides in under the headlight surround, it can scratch if its tight.
The actual alloy bumper bar will stay connected to the car.
The only real trick is if you have trouble removing the trim, some times it helps to remove the number plate holder first. There is 1 plastic 'tong' on the trim that slips in behind the number plate cover, you should be able to ease it out, some trims seem to be a bit tighter than others.
Removal takes about 6 minutes being very cautious.

John 535is

John 535is (Sydney)
05-16-2004, 05:17 PM
Following the last instruction, once you have the bumper cover off,
remove the headlight assembly, there is one screw that goes into a slot in the fender,
then you can remove the actual fender.

John 535is