PDA

View Full Version : Shock mounts rattling?

CrimsonBrian
05-16-2004, 12:26 PM
I think my shock mounts might need some work. I hear this rattle from the rear of the car when driving on less-than-smooth roads. Is this the rear shock mounts or might it be something else. I havent noticed any performance problems or other weird suspension issues. Thanks!

Brian

Messerschmitt
05-16-2004, 01:29 PM
Turned out to be the thin metal plaes behind the brake disks had bent a little and when it vibrated it hit the rotor. Easy fix I just bent them back.

Messerschmitt

Jon K
05-16-2004, 03:28 PM
Turned out to be the thin metal plaes behind the brake disks had bent a little and when it vibrated it hit the rotor. Easy fix I just bent them back.

Messerschmitt

He's speaking of a rattle that sound slike its coming from the rear speakers I bet. If that's the case, yes it is the shock mount.

CrimsonBrian
05-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Yeah, it sounds like it is right over the rear speakers. Any idea how much this might cost to fix and what is involved? Thanks guys!!

GrahamJT
05-16-2004, 05:29 PM
I had the same problem. The mounts are under the rear parcel shelf near the speakers. Mine went after about 120k miles and its the rubber in the mount that brakes away. You need a pair of spring compressors and the job is staight forward takes about 3/4 hour each side. Got the parts from an after market parts supplier for about 26GBP each. Remove the spring and shocker as a unit then compress the spring on the bench, unbolt and remove top mount, replace with new one, replace bolt release compressors and refit unit. Not sure what a garage would charge but if they charge more than one hour labour each side then your being over charged.

John 535is (Sydney)
05-16-2004, 05:29 PM
Is the shock mount accessed through the trunk, behind the covers, or throught he rear seat ?

John 535is

GrahamJT
05-16-2004, 05:47 PM
Is the shock mount accessed through the trunk, behind the covers, or throught he rear seat ?

John 535is
To get the suspension unit out you need to remove the rear seat back, lift the parcel shelf. Jack the car up unser the body, support extented rear swing arm and remove the lower suspension mount bolt, tap away from mount bush untill it comes free remove the three top bolts and the suspension unit drops out from under the car.