PDA

View Full Version : H1 Bulb upgrades

Sam-Son
10-14-2007, 12:53 PM
My headlights are pretty dim. and I'm looking to get better bulbs but I'm not sure where to get decent quality bulbs. I know alot of you have HID bulbs. Where can I look find these? and what range should I look into 6000k 8500k?
Thanks
-Mike

mikeythekidd
10-14-2007, 04:45 PM
There's a guy on Ebay called Max Lumens. I bought both hi and low-beam from him.

Denton
10-14-2007, 05:36 PM
ProLumen has a new HID kit that has ballasts 1/3 size of others. Not a big issue with our spacious M50 engine bays though.

I bought Genesis HIDs from www.hid-sin.com. They haven't come yet, I recently ordered them. MacV on the board recommended them to me after his experience. I went with 6000k lows, after having my mind set on 4300k or 5000k.

Sam-Son
10-14-2007, 05:41 PM
thanks guys

Sam-Son
11-01-2007, 05:34 PM
ProLumen has a new HID kit that has ballasts 1/3 size of others. Not a big issue with our spacious M50 engine bays though.

I bought Genesis HIDs from www.hid-sin.com. They haven't come yet, I recently ordered them. MacV on the board recommended them to me after his experience. I went with 6000k lows, after having my mind set on 4300k or 5000k.
Denton-I checked out hid-sin.com and they seem pretty good. So if I want 6000k lows and 8000k highs I have to buy 2 kits? will having these kits kill my battery or draw too many amps/volts or whatever?

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Don't go too high on the Ks...you'll look ricey.

Blue and purple, just don't look right.

5000k is nice and white, but a little blue on cut offs.

Denton
11-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Denton-I checked out hid-sin.com and they seem pretty good. So if I want 6000k lows and 8000k highs I have to buy 2 kits? will having these kits kill my battery or draw too many amps/volts or whatever?

My kit came but I haven't installed them yet, since I don't have the smileys yet.

You would have to buy two kits...

6000k is the highest I'd go. I initially wanted 4300k for the most light but after looking at pics I wanted 6000k. When you go higher than 6000k you really start to lose light and it looks too purple. 5000k is good too, more white than blue and slightly better output (not noticable). 6000k gives that killer blue look.

These kits actually use less power than your halogens, so the wires, etc. are fine.

I would look at Prolumen though...new "digital" technology, whatever that means.

And I think HIDs in the highs are a waste. If anything, I'd do 3000k in the fogs for a yellow look.

Qube
11-01-2007, 08:03 PM
You don't want HIDs in your high beam. You won't be able to flash anymore.

HID your low beams and fogs... 6000/3000k. Of course, you still won't be able to flash because it will trigger your fogs but meh. Expect to spend about $200 per kit. Most of the cheaper ones are really just that in quality. Really.

Sam-Son
11-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the info guy I can't believe how crappy my bulbs are I was up on a mountain run last night and I couldn't see ****. With the info you guys just gave me I would get 6000k lows and thats it. Then I guess 100w highs or something bright but not a HID kit. Theres no chance of purple or yellow. Blue only for me. on the website it says 8000k is blue not purple.

So now I have another question or two.
What type of bulbs should I get for the highs?

Where are you guys mounting your ballasts?

Qube-even if I only have 6000k lows I won't be able to flash my highs?

Thanks again guys
-Mike

Torque
11-02-2007, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the info guy I can't believe how crappy my bulbs are I was up on a mountain run last night and I couldn't see ****. With the info you guys just gave me I would get 6000k lows and thats it. Then I guess 100w highs or something bright but not a HID kit. Theres no chance of purple or yellow. Blue only for me. on the website it says 8000k is blue not purple.

So now I have another question or two.
What type of bulbs should I get for the highs?

Where are you guys mounting your ballasts?

Qube-even if I only have 6000k lows I won't be able to flash my highs?

Thanks again guys
-MikeYou will ... only if you go HID in the highs, will it prevent you from flashing them, since HID takes a second to get fired up ...

Paul in NZ
11-02-2007, 05:07 AM
i find my high beam just fine (55w h1) but the lows are(and have always been) hopeless in anything but the best (read well lit streets on a fine night.What is your guys(those that have switched) opinion of your lights.I dont want to switch and find that whilst i have light I annoy other road users with glare and uncontrolled light.I want esp to hear from H1 users.

clevertd
11-02-2007, 06:13 AM
Does anyone know if the modification as outlined on bmw4life.com for the H1 upgrade HAS to be done or is it a direct plug and play with say, a prolumen kit?

Sam-Son
11-02-2007, 09:11 AM
i find my high beam just fine (55w h1) but the lows are(and have always been) hopeless in anything but the best (read well lit streets on a fine night.What is your guys(those that have switched) opinion of your lights.I dont want to switch and find that whilst i have light I annoy other road users with glare and uncontrolled light.I want esp to hear from H1 users.
I have the Euro H1 head lamps and I find even the highs are hopeless. I though it might be the crappy deop bulbs so I picked up a little better quality ones and still nothing so I readjusted the head lamps...still crappy so I figure the only way is to gety 100w in the highs and fogs and the 6000k lows