PDA

View Full Version : Any 535i owners running with a chip?

e34.535i.sport
10-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Had few problems with the car lately, most sorted now so i'll hopefully be looking shortly to get a chip for my baby!

I was just looking for some advice from people who have one in their 535i on what benefits/pro's you see, what costs/con's (i.e fuel economy, reliability?), and do you generally think its worth me shelling out for? I'm also looking to find out how easy/hard it is to fit yourself? I've researched this on bruno's site but personasl experience is second to none.

If you could include what chip your running, where you got it from and how much that would be great, thanks in advance. :)

Black 535i
10-12-2007, 12:58 PM
...other than the premium gas requirements I am very pleased with the extra power and pick up from the engine. Paid about $165.00 2 years ago and will not go back to stock!

Torque
10-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Installation is cake. You take out the black cover on the passenger (driver's for you if your car is RHD) side next to the windshield, pull out the ECU, disconnect it, open the case, take out the chip and just reverse the process to put it all back in. It shouldn't take longer than half an hour.

we_call_him_doher
10-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Very easy to install and a noticeable difference in power. Just make sure not to buy a chip from a no-name ebayer like I did first time around. If you buy from a well known company like Bav Auto or Da Sylva then you will be pleased.

Phatty5BMW
10-12-2007, 01:32 PM
I love my mark d. chip. Defenitly more power, but for me its the economy. I don't know if my car was having issues before chip, but now I get 22-24 mpg on interstate vs. 19 with my stock chip.. I love it man, worth the $$$ (even the old lady admitted it :) )

-Pat

pundit
10-12-2007, 03:54 PM
EAT chip. Around $200.00.
More responsive than standard but requires premium fuel.
Most will drive it for the performance boost so any theoretical economy gains won't be achieved.
In fact you maybe tempted to put the foot down even more than usual so your fuel bill will be even more expensive.
Bottom line is don't consider it for better economy... in fact don't consider a 535 period if your concern is economy! ;)
In fact even a 540 is more economical the a 535i!

Sam-Son
10-12-2007, 10:35 PM
you could also check out Turner Motorsports

winfred
10-12-2007, 10:58 PM
get a mark D chip i know a ton of people with them and there will be no disappointments, i was one of the hot weather testers for the 535 chip and with a automatic i got about a 1 second 0-60 improvement over a 3 run back to back with the stock computer in mid-upper 90s, and gained about 1 mpg which is a good offset for running super, i have a mark D chip on my e34 535 motored/computered 81 633 but don't have a functioning speedo/odo yet so i wasn't able to witness the mpg before and after, but it defintly has more ass when stomping on it, as long as i have bosch computered bmws ill have a mark D chip in it

ps the mark D chip i replaced the dinan chip in my e30 with was better, smoother

genphreak
10-13-2007, 01:38 AM
Had few problems with the car lately, most sorted now so i'll hopefully be looking shortly to get a chip for my baby!

I was just looking for some advice from people who have one in their 535i on what benefits/pro's you see, what costs/con's (i.e fuel economy, reliability?), and do you generally think its worth me shelling out for? I'm also looking to find out how easy/hard it is to fit yourself? I've researched this on bruno's site but personasl experience is second to none.

If you could include what chip your running, where you got it from and how much that would be great, thanks in advance. :) I'd go the whole-hog and get a MAF kit from Miller performance third time around. IAfter trying several chips or over a thousand km each, I can say that Mark D'Sylva's EAT chip is the best - it is really good - BUT the MAF kit makes it the result much better:

With any M30 of this age, the AFM is usally starting to go or will need to be replaced at some point soon, so if you are keeping the car or don't know if your AFM is wearing out, the math is quite simple- why spend more on a chip and a new AFM when you can so easily install a MAF for less? Do it once, do it right and save fuel too. I have one of the first Miller MAFs and love it- I simply can't reccommend it enough. :) Nick

e34.535i.sport
10-13-2007, 04:34 AM
Hey guys thanks for the input so far, keep it coming... :)

Genphreak... I don't know much at all about the AFM (air flow meter?) and MAF (Mass air flow?) business, i'm assuming i have an AFM. I've been worried about it recently as it happens as i have heard it rattling - it is quite noticible with the bonnet open, and if i really listen i can hear it with the bonnet down. Does this mean its on its way out? How much am i looking at to replace the AFM in comparison to changing it for a MAF? Also, what are the benefits and do they outway the costs? And is it a direct replacement, could i do it myself? Is there anyhwhere i can get mor information on this? Thanks! (Too many questions! :) )

e34.535i.sport
10-13-2007, 04:58 AM
Hey just done some research on miller site, seems to good to be true! A new AFM would cost me close to £200, and the MAF is only ~ £256!

There must be a drawback somewhere, why isn't everyone doing this?! I'm seriously tempted, its like a chip and a new air flow for the same price as a chip am i right?!

genphreak
10-13-2007, 06:29 AM
Hey just done some research on miller site, seems to good to be true! A new AFM would cost me close to £200, and the MAF is only ~ £256!

There must be a drawback somewhere, why isn't everyone doing this?! I'm seriously tempted, its like a chip and a new air flow for the same price as a chip am i right?!Yes, I am wondering the same thing... I think all the bad online press might have something to do with it.

Your rattling probably isn't the AFM tho; the trouble they have is usually that when they get older the voltage signal they feed to the ECU (engine computer) becomes a bit spikey- and that can cause acceleration and more often coasting - off-idle problems. It is easy to test the output with a multimeter to see. You need only measure to 5V to see the output.

Your rattling is far more likley the ICV (in which case why?- valve adjustment, plugs, rotor cap/button/coil?)

The only reason I can see that M20/M30 owners that know about these don't get them is because they have plans to remove their motronic nad install another ECU (anyone who is 'charging their motor will generally be thinking about this), or they don't see the value in a MAF kit (?).

Also, as not many people owning these cars have the enough $ just hanging around. Mostly these cars are getting older and cheaper so $200 ECU chips are a better price point than MAF conversions. Even $200 is too high a price point for a quality chip liek Mark D's when it comes to cars this old.

Each to their own I guess...

Sweet535i
10-13-2007, 07:15 AM
I have the EAT chip that I ran for a little less than a year in my '91 535i. I chose the model (E34179.6k8) with the increased red-line. Loved it, but a collision with a deer months ago ended the story. The car has been totaled and I'm selling the chip for $100 shipped. No kidding...the install is very easy. The car's performance was noticeably better...ran a bit smoother at idle and also was much more responsive out of the hole. I did get slightly better mileage (went from 17 mpg to 19) but not enough to completely offset going with higher octane fuel. Then again...I felt the trade for better performance to be worth it..and then some. Changing the chip out is very easy, the website instructions were very straight-forward, I wouldn't worry about that...you only need a screwdriver.

leicesterboy15
10-13-2007, 02:59 PM
I have a superchps chip, can only compare it to standard but it has better low down torque, power from around 2000rpm rather than around 3k, more power in the power band and more power at the top end. With the standard theres not much point going over 5000 rpm as the power drops off but with the chip it keeps going to the red line and the rev limit is increased by 500rpm I believe (arguably not the best thing but...). I really like it, seems to give same or better mpg as standard, had no problems at all. Installs within 30 minutes, I got mine from the e30zone forum for £50! A friend who has an e30 told me about a guy selling it - he'd installed a programmable ecu and gotten rid of the AFM (not sure of the details) then had a change of heart and put the 3.5 engine into an e30 touring.

Qube
10-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Get the chip from D'Sylva. Once he manages to finish proto the M30 MAF with me, you can 'upgrade' at a discount (I surmise).

e34.535i.sport
10-14-2007, 07:31 AM
Thanks sweet535 i'll let you know on it...

Qube, how much am i looking at for the chip alone? I would imagine it would still cost more in the long run to buy the chip and then the MAF rather than the miller deal which is $520 or £256 what do you think and i've heard good things about both?

Price is a major factor at the moment, but i know i could afford the Miller deal on November payday - how long until you finish your MAF and how much roughly are we looking at?

Thanks everyone for all input so far... :) I'm really looking forward to getting the chip/MAF whichever works out best!

BigKriss
10-14-2007, 08:22 AM
i talked to a dude who worked for powerchip in australia and he says the gold versions of those chips are copied from superchip. thats the one I had. I have the eat chip and it's better.

I have a superchps chip, can only compare it to standard but it has better low down torque, power from around 2000rpm rather than around 3k, more power in the power band and more power at the top end. With the standard theres not much point going over 5000 rpm as the power drops off but with the chip it keeps going to the red line and the rev limit is increased by 500rpm I believe (arguably not the best thing but...). I really like it, seems to give same or better mpg as standard, had no problems at all. Installs within 30 minutes, I got mine from the e30zone forum for £50! A friend who has an e30 told me about a guy selling it - he'd installed a programmable ecu and gotten rid of the AFM (not sure of the details) then had a change of heart and put the 3.5 engine into an e30 touring.

winfred
10-14-2007, 09:49 AM
for a maf conversion id wait for mark d's unit, the miller looks like it runs 80's ford maf units which are ok from a junkyard replacement standpoint but id like something a wee bit more advanced

///Sniper535
10-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Where can i buy this D'Sylva. chip?

...$120 for the Dinan chip is tempting but i want the best chip.

kev535i
10-14-2007, 05:33 PM
click link for EAT chip at top of page

gale
10-14-2007, 05:35 PM
http://www.dsylva-tech.ca/

Unpaid testimonial: I've been running Mark's EAT chip in my m30 since right after he introduced them. I've tried the Dinan, and another no-name small tuner's chip and Mark's is by far the best. Give it 20-30 minutes & a few restarts to "learn" the new map, & then sit back & enjoy. You'll notice an improvement in low end pull from about 1500 rpm, a bit more at 2500. At 3600 it turns on like a switch and pulls like a freight train, all the way up to redline.

I bought a couple -179 stock DME boxes from Vines on Ebay, just to have as spares. I tried them each out for a week to make sure they didn't have issues and that's where I really noticed the difference a performance chip makes -- going back to stock it was really a dog.

Edit: A few comments on octane. Disclaimer: your results may vary. I think I ran maybe 1 tank at most on premium with the EAT chip, and then went straight to mid-grade. When gas prices started going sky high, I alternated fill ups with mid-grade and regular with never any signs of pinging. Lately all I run is regular & still no pinging. I guess the 3.5 bar FPR & Mustang injectors make it run a little on the rich side. Since the m30 has no knock sensors, it has even more power with regular since it is a bit more volatile. Guess I can get away with regular at high altitude, but I'll have to run mid-grade & premium if I ever go down to sea level.

dave.o
10-15-2007, 01:23 AM
Hey guys thanks for the input so far, keep it coming... :)

Genphreak... I don't know much at all about the AFM (air flow meter?) and MAF (Mass air flow?) business, i'm assuming i have an AFM. I've been worried about it recently as it happens as i have heard it rattling - it is quite noticible with the bonnet open, and if i really listen i can hear it with the bonnet down. Does this mean its on its way out? How much am i looking at to replace the AFM in comparison to changing it for a MAF? Also, what are the benefits and do they outway the costs? And is it a direct replacement, could i do it myself? Is there anyhwhere i can get mor information on this? Thanks! (Too many questions! :) )
I also would recommend a Miller MAF. I am in the UK and was at first a bit worried about dealing with a company over the pond, but I need not have worried the support from Brody at Miller was excellent and I am well pleased with the results. Definately a worthwhile power increase with increased mid - range pick up and acceleration. I also got Miller to make me a cold air intake , I am fully aware that it may not give any hp gains but I get excited just by the intake noise. So Miller get a recommendation from a brit, and no I am not on commision, mores the pity.

BigKriss
10-15-2007, 01:58 AM
true!

leicesterboy15
10-15-2007, 03:57 AM
true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pundit
___

+1!!!

winfred
10-15-2007, 07:26 AM
on a run yea, in town i am not so sure the v8 would still be cheaper

clevertd
10-15-2007, 02:39 PM
for a maf conversion id wait for mark d's unit, the miller looks like it runs 80's ford maf units which are ok from a junkyard replacement standpoint but id like something a wee bit more advanced

Sure it might LOOK like it, but it's the same MAF sensor that's used in the Ford Lightning.

e34.535i.sport
10-16-2007, 12:00 PM
So is it the MAF they used in the old Mustangs or what? I'll tell you what, if i was ever going to change my car (which i'm hoping i wont have to!), i'd have a 1969 Shelby Mustang. Now that a good looking car.

clevertd
10-16-2007, 09:46 PM
I'll say it again: it's the same P/N used in Ford Lightnings.
http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=89
1L3F-12B579-AB
90mm Lightning

dave.o
10-17-2007, 02:48 AM
As I run a Miller MAF it doesn't particularly bother me where it was sourced from. I judge it on the fact that it is fit for purpose. In that it looks good performs well, provides a definate improvement and is priced well (particularly with current pound to dollar exchange rates). Basically ticks all the boxes that I would want from a piece of aftermarket tuning equipment.