PDA

View Full Version : I'm about to graduate from basketweaves....

BFEINZIMER
10-11-2007, 01:53 AM
And get M-Pars! Yay! Got the car back today so hopefully the tranny will hold up...but I have an incredible deal on some new mpars and perilli tires so I'm jumping. :DDDD

Anyone intrested is buying 4 fairly good basketweaves?? (keeping the spare for emergencies) spelling lol

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/cemenacho/DSC00225.jpg

CharlesAFerg
10-11-2007, 02:49 AM
keeping the "honeycombs" ? Interested in winter wheels.

If I get winter wheels, I'd get my style-5s refinished while they're off.
Polished lip and maybe darker grey centers. Black? Not gold though.

e34.535i.sport
10-11-2007, 08:39 AM
And get M-Pars! Yay! Got the car back today so hopefully the tranny will hold up...but I have an incredible deal on some new mpars and perilli tires so I'm jumping. :DDDD

Anyone intrested is buying 4 fairly good basketweaves?? (keeping the spare for emergencies) spelling lol

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/cemenacho/DSC00225.jpg

Hey they look fantastic, thinking of changing to M pars myself - where did you source them for and how much (if you don't mind me asking of course?)!

BFEINZIMER
10-11-2007, 09:46 AM
Well I don't need winter wheels (SoCal) so its always warm here :D

If anyone is intrested in the basketweaves...

And I'll give you all the details afte rthe deal is closed, lets just say it is amazing! :D

Macv
10-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Veeerrrryyyy nice. Staggard at that.

semiretired
10-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Where'd you get those? How much?

I like them. Will they fit on a stock 91' 525-M50?

Im looking to upgrade my bottle caps and those are sharp!!

Ross
10-11-2007, 12:46 PM
The new wheels look great.
So, why the secrecy regarding the source for the "amazing" details?

[1990]525
10-11-2007, 12:48 PM
The new wheels look great.
So, why the secrecy regarding the source for the "amazing" details?
So no one steals his bid?

Ross
10-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Looks like he already has 'em.

[1990]525
10-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Looks like he already has 'em.
I assumed those were pictures from the seller seeing as he is waiting for the deal to close to give us info :D I dunnos though..

BFEINZIMER
10-11-2007, 05:48 PM
525']I assumed those were pictures from the seller seeing as he is waiting for the deal to close to give us info :D I dunnos though..

Haha yea one of a couple pics..staggered...and yea I just want to finalize everything before...just in case lol

leicesterboy15
10-12-2007, 05:08 AM
They are superb! Are they original (sorry might have missed something)?

I've got a set of non-staggered rep mpars and a set of style 5's as well which need a refurb but IMHO these two sets are the best wheels for the e34, they both run it close but the mpars just pip it for me.

My mission now is to replace the rear with the staggered ones (once I have finished all the other repairs and have more money!)

BMWCCA1
10-12-2007, 08:33 AM
I think the original poster in this thread needs to explain exactly what he's selling: basketweaves or honeycombs. That's what the second poster was trying to figure out. He wasn't trying to trade you snowtire wheels. He was trying to see if what you were offering would be something he's consider for snow tires.

That's how I read it. So, what are you selling?

BFEINZIMER
10-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Ok I'll make it clear:

I'm selling my 4 basketweaves (in my sig pic).

The m-pars are OEM.

BTW, why does staggered make a difference?

TC535i
10-12-2007, 02:54 PM
those aren't considered basketweaves, those are "honeycomb", from the V8 cars.

staggered wheels are wider in the rear, and as a result can have a really deep lip (staggered m-parallels, rondell style 58 in the 9" rear, etc)

BMWCCA1
10-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Staggered rears may also increase understeer in these cars that already have an ample supply. If you're only doing it for show and you don't really drive it hard, you'll never notice, until you try to rotate them for wear!

BFEINZIMER
10-13-2007, 08:32 PM
oh yea you can rotate these huh? o well..really these arnt really basketweaves? well if you notice the center is a flat cap, and the others similar have the grooved cap and the inner part is also weaved, thats what i have in my trunk for the spare

so my sig pic is whats on the car

and this is my spare

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/pdef1949/DSCN0133.JPG

so 2 qutestions: whats the performance difference, if any in staggered

and does anyone have the weight difference between the m-pars and the honeycombs?

swenpro
10-13-2007, 08:50 PM
yup, wheel in your sig pic is "honeycomb" I have them too

BMWCCA1
10-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Your "spare" appears to be the stock wheel from an E38 7 Series and it's an inch wider than your "honeycombs", if that matters to you.

wjbell
10-13-2007, 09:48 PM
whats the performance difference, if any in staggered

A staggered wheel set, as I understand it, is meant to create understeer. Meaning that the front will loose traction in a corner faster that the rear, which is a more controllable situation.

wjbell
10-13-2007, 09:51 PM
A staggered wheel set, as I understand it, is meant to create understeer. Meaning that the front will loose traction in a corner faster that the rear, which is a more controllable situation.

Oops, didn't read BMWCCA1's reply...

Yeah, what he said ;)

BFEINZIMER
10-13-2007, 10:50 PM
hmm thats weird doesent that throw off the whole "perfect handling" thing with our cars..

BMWCCA1
10-13-2007, 11:01 PM
"perfect handling" is different than perfect weight balance. BMW's have always under-steered to some extent. The more they became mainstream appliances, the more they understeered. Many folks think an under-steering car is "safer" because you'll be aimed at what you're about to hit! ;) BMWs often exhibit trailing-throttle oversteer to correct for the normal understeer but an E34 understeers enough already without staggered wheels. As I said, stagger them for looks. You may be able to counter the enhanced understeer with tire pressure or more rear bar. I prefer non-staggered for the ease of rotating the wheels myself. And I like to slide the rear....of my E28.

BFEINZIMER
10-15-2007, 11:42 AM
hmm i guess ill just see how it goes..so no more easy sliding? :( oh yea..btw do i need new lugs or anything else when i decide to mount these bad boys? so anyone intrested in my old ones?

Sam-Son
10-15-2007, 02:37 PM
"perfect handling" is different than perfect weight balance. BMW's have always under-steered to some extent. The more they became mainstream appliances, the more they understeered. Many folks think an under-steering car is "safer" because you'll be aimed at what you're about to hit! ;) BMWs often exhibit trailing-throttle oversteer to correct for the normal understeer but an E34 understeers enough already without staggered wheels. As I said, stagger them for looks. You may be able to counter the enhanced understeer with tire pressure or more rear bar. I prefer non-staggered for the ease of rotating the wheels myself. And I like to slide the rear....of my E28.
Umm actually from all Ihave seen and ever heard BMW's oversteer

TC535i
10-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Umm actually from all Ihave seen and ever heard BMW's oversteer
then you've been severly misled. from someone who's tracked/autocrossed more BMW's than you'll hopefully ever own (for your own sake), they understeer. ;)

semiretired
10-18-2007, 07:41 AM
yup, wheel in your sig pic is "honeycomb" I have them too
Are those 18" Mars in your sig pic?

BMWCCA1
10-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Umm actually from all Ihave seen and ever heard BMW's oversteerMaybe . . . if you slam the throttle shut mid-turn.