PDA

View Full Version : OT: Top gear-best road in the world

whiskychaser
10-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Anyone see this tonight? Usual fun and games but that road up from Davos is the dogs. Lived in CH about 20 years ago. Drove down from Liechtenstein and then back up over the 'hill'. Thats E34 country but put the auto box in the bin before you go. I loved the place. I dont get any credit from the Swiss tourist board-in fact I think I'm persona non gratia-but if you are there dont miss it. If you can afford it, it will take 20 years off your age:)

Sam-Son
10-10-2007, 02:14 PM
I think that the Stelvio pass is just one of the most unbelievale places in the world

Sidney Rough-Diamond
10-10-2007, 02:25 PM
I thought the choice about as odd as you could get - tiny narrow road that is usually chocked with traffic in the tourist season or closed due to snow. Note too that they drove up the pass on what looked a closed day, had they tried to drive down at speed, they probably wouldn't have had any brakes left. Hardly the place to let fly with 200mph supercars I thought. Still , when did anything on TG make a lot of sense ?

whiskychaser
10-10-2007, 02:29 PM
I think that the Stelvio pass is just one of the most unbelievale places in the world
Once you have seen one log cabin you have seen them all. Got a good tan from the langlauf in May. But that road is something else. First time was in an open top BM with goggles and helmet. Dont know the car's vintage but it was older than me:)

whiskychaser
10-10-2007, 02:41 PM
I thought the choice about as odd as you could get - tiny narrow road that is usually chocked with traffic in the tourist season or closed due to snow. Note too that they drove up the pass on what looked a closed day, had they tried to drive down at speed, they probably wouldn't have had any brakes left. Hardly the place to let fly with 200mph supercars I thought. Still , when did anything on TG make a lot of sense ?
Coming down it is bollocks. You are on the brakes all the time. Its about position on the road and hitting it as soon as you can. Yeah I could toodle up in my auto. Speed to me isnt about 200mph-its about going round a 30mph bend at 35.

Sidney Rough-Diamond
10-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Coming down it is bollocks. You are on the brakes all the time. Its about position on the road and hitting it as soon as you can. Yeah I could toodle up in my auto. Speed to me isnt about 200mph-its about going round a 30mph bend at 35.

Exactly. For Stelvio they should have taken a Lotus Elise - moch more suited for there. For the 3 cars they took, you need a fast sweeping road section where the power comes in to play.

Sam-Son
10-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Here in america around me there are very few good driving roads. I think one ofthe best driving road is the twisties around bear mountain new york and the blue ridge highway

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Sense,TG? Come on! Hell of a road tho`, Now try col de marie blanc, the one that kills Tour de france climbers, kills E34 brakes too, and cooks bonnet paint from heat off turbo.Anybody who can take an icelandic Hi-lux to the mag north pole is not dealing with a full deck!!