PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed about Short Shift Kit please

Turbo Ready
10-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Hi Guys,

I have searched and read a bit just about all the SSK threads here. The last thread was posted a while ago so just wanted to inquire about latest SSK experiences.

I will be working on my 335ist ( 3.5 m30 B35 turbo into an 87 e30 325is) and wanted to know what SSK you guys are using and what your experiences were.

I have seen great things about the latest UUC SSK design, anyone using this kit as yet and if so, can you please express your opinions about it?

Thanks.

Sam-Son
10-10-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm using one that the EuroDepot guys made for me and I really like it

Turbo Ready
10-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the reply Sam.

I just checked the Euro Depot guys and they have no listings for an e34 SSK:( Guess they made this one as a special order for you.

I have driven cars with SSK installed and some were complete waste of time because they were so notchy, they actually delayed shifting.

I do know that most SSK are a bit notchy and some need more effort to shift, but some I have tested are really worthless.

Can you please indicate the % throw if you know and feel of the Euro Deopt SSK?

Thanks.

Sam-Son
10-10-2007, 02:10 PM
It was something they pieced together for me but they told me they sometims list them for sale on ebay. Honestly I'd check out Bavauto.com. although I haven't used it I think bavauto puts out some quality stuff so I'd recommend them

Turbo Ready
10-10-2007, 02:52 PM
I have driven a friends E30 with a BAV Auto SSK, it felt OK, should not be too different a feel on the e34.

The UUC is a bit on the higher cost bracket, would not mind spending the bucks on it if the feed back is all good.

Thought a few guys here would have picked up the newer design by now.

Sam-Son
10-10-2007, 03:57 PM
I have driven a friends E30 with a BAV Auto SSK, it felt OK, should not be too different a feel on the e34.

The UUC is a bit on the higher cost bracket, would not mind spending the bucks on it if the feed back is all good.

Thought a few guys here would have picked up the newer design by now.

Yeah a friend has the UUC on his E36 and he loves it now that I think about it UUC is probaly the better option despite the higher cost. I'm in no rush to replace mine
-Mike

repenttokyo
10-10-2007, 03:59 PM
isn't the tranny in our m50 cars the same as the one in the s52 cars? wouldn't the linkage be the same?

Sam-Son
10-10-2007, 04:04 PM
isn't the tranny in our m50 cars the same as the one in the s52 cars? wouldn't the linkage be the same?
I think so. I have the ZF gearbox which I think is the same one as an M3 not sure

Torque
10-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Doesn't using a e36 m3 shifter reduce the throw by like 35 percent?

Sam-Son
10-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Turbo-in response to your question about % throw I have no idea but it's a very short throw I drove an E46 with a standard 5-spd the other day and couldn't believe how long the throw is! the shifts on mine are nice and short and the BMW perfect snick-snick when shifting. I guess the SSK is notchier than standard but not bad. I now know I could never be without an SSK

repenttokyo
10-10-2007, 07:41 PM
really? i didn't find the e46 to have that long of a throw in the 5 speed.

Sam-Son
10-10-2007, 07:59 PM
really? i didn't find the e46 to have that long of a throw in the 5 speed.
Compared to my car it was alot

Turbo Ready
10-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Turbo-in response to your question about % throw I have no idea but it's a very short throw I drove an E46 with a standard 5-spd the other day and couldn't believe how long the throw is! the shifts on mine are nice and short and the BMW perfect snick-snick when shifting. I guess the SSK is notchier than standard but not bad. I now know I could never be without an SSK

Mike I have a 2003 e46 325i 5 speed, bought new, and actually found the throw to be a bit shorter and more crisp compared to most cars I have driven.

Being honest with you, I think I have shifted the fastest with superb accuracy when on the track driving the e46. I can shift the e46 so fast I can actually remain full throttle between shifts. I would like to maintain that shift speed as best as I can on my 335ist project car, can't get the same but hopefully close to.

The e46 seems rather forgiving when power shifting, the clutch engagement is very smooth as compared to my buddies 5 speed e34 535i.

I can just imagine how short the throw is with the SSK you have.

The new design of the UUC SSK, the EVO3, facilitates an adjustable height, they also claim a 20% effort reduction, which translates to less notchy shifting.

I am slowly leaning to that kit, wish someone here had installed it who can give us user feedback.

Thanks again guys for all the replies. :)

Sam-Son
10-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Don't get me wrong the E46 325Ci is one of the best cars ever made in my book. In fact I'd rather have a 325 over an M3. I have to say the earlier 325's like 2000 to about 03 had more of a touchy clutch I've never had trouble with it but I remember othert people stalling it all the time w/e. You should jjust spend the extra cash and get the UUC because if you don't you gonna always be wishing you had

Turbo Ready
10-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Don't get me wrong the E46 325Ci is one of the best cars ever made in my book. In fact I'd rather have a 325 over an M3. I have to say the earlier 325's like 2000 to about 03 had more of a touchy clutch I've never had trouble with it but I remember othert people stalling it all the time w/e. You should jjust spend the extra cash and get the UUC because if you don't you gonna always be wishing you had

I don't think you were bashing the e46 at all, did not get that impression, hey don't bash my car :D

"You should jjust spend the extra cash and get the UUC because if you don't you gonna always be wishing you had"

^^^^ I agree with you, will do that, the new UUC EVO3 SSK has some really good upgrades, mainly the pivot bearing, adjustable height and all stainless steel one piece shift lever. I am also considering their DSSR (double shear selector rod) as well.

Thanks Mike for taking the time to respond :)

Paul in NZ
10-11-2007, 02:11 AM
any decrease in throw must increase the effort.....right?

Turbo Ready
10-11-2007, 09:22 AM
any decrease in throw must increase the effort.....right?

Theoretically yes, because you are decreasing leverage, however, companies like UUC, use pivot bearings, stainless steel shift levers and heavier shift knobs which can all help to reduce effort.

If you read the UUC write up n the new EVO3 SSK, they explain the design mechanism to facilitate a smother, less notchy with reduced effort shifting,

ILoveMPower
10-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Don't have any first-hand experience but everyone I have talked to that runs the UUC Evo SSK has told me it's simply amazing, "perfect" is a word often used to describe it

Turbo Ready
10-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Don't have any first-hand experience but everyone I have talked to that runs the UUC Evo SSK has told me it's simply amazing, "perfect" is a word often used to describe it

Thanks so much for the input, you guys have helped me decide, it will be UUC.
No one had anything negative to say about the UUC EVO3, so I think it's the way to go for sure.

Thanks again.

Sam-Son
10-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks so much for the input, you guys have helped me decide, it will be UUC.
No one had anything negative to say about the UUC EVO3, so I think it's the way to go for sure.

Thanks again.
Great Let us know what its like when you get it

Turbo Ready
10-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Great Let us know what its like when you get it

Will do.

Sam-Son
10-17-2007, 03:50 PM
You said you were also getting the DSSR. Isn't that only for M5's?

Turbo Ready
10-17-2007, 07:07 PM
You said you were also getting the DSSR. Isn't that only for M5's?

You are correct Mike the DSSR is manufactured for quite a few models including the e34 but only the M5.

I was looking at the ones for the e30, forgot I am using the Getrag 260 on my e30, thanks for noticing that and bringing it to my attention.
Strange enough though, I wonder why not for the e34 535i, they are quite similar to the e30, will have to measure them to compare or call UUC.

BTW, I am getting the distributorship business from UUC, it's already confirmed, just have to decide what to get and what to stock.
There are no dealers here in this area for them and they are willing to give me the business.

I was told that I called the right time regarding this since they are now looking at expanding into Canada a bit more. :D

Sam-Son
10-17-2007, 07:38 PM
what's so different about the M5 that its DSSR can't be used on another E34? say for instance my car

Turbo Ready
10-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Mike, I just looked up the parts diagrams. The straight selector rod as it's called, which the DSSR replaces all have different part numbers between the popular models, including the e34 535i and the e34 m5.

There must be subtle differences, maybe in length, offset etc.

Makes sense though, if they were compatible UUC for starters would have known that and would have advertised their DSSR accordingly.

Sam-Son
10-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Mike, I just looked up the parts diagrams. The straight selector rod as it's called, which the DSSR replaces all have different part numbers between the popular models, including the e34 535i and the e34 m5.

There must be subtle differences, maybe in length, offset etc.

Makes sense though, if they were compatible UUC for starters would have known that and would have advertised their DSSR accordingly.
wow thanks for that. I'm sure the standard Evo 3 without the DSSR will be fantastic

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-17-2007, 10:13 PM
You are correct Mike the DSSR is manufactured for quite a few models including the e34 but only the M5.

I was looking at the ones for the e30, forgot I am using the Getrag 260 on my e30, thanks for noticing that and bringing it to my attention.
Strange enough though, I wonder why not for the e34 535i, they are quite similar to the e30, will have to measure them to compare or call UUC.

BTW, I am getting the distributorship business from UUC, it's already confirmed, just have to decide what to get and what to stock.
There are no dealers here in this area for them and they are willing to give me the business.

I was told that I called the right time regarding this since they are now looking at expanding into Canada a bit more. :D
If you get distributorship then post link,spares are cheaper from Canada than bought in UK even with postage! Well, bruno`s are anyway.

Turbo Ready
10-17-2007, 10:25 PM
wow thanks for that. I'm sure the standard Evo 3 without the DSSR will be fantastic

No problem Mike. The EVO3 will be awesome alone from what I have read, even without the DSSR.

With a newly assembled OEM straight selector rod, it will be almost as good. Everyone who used the EVO3 giving positive feedback were all the non M e34 and e28 guys, none of them are using the DSSR since it's not available for those models.

I have rebuilt a few OEM 5 speed gear shift assemblies, and that alone feels good and is practical, so just imagine the UUC SSK with the upgraded design. :D

Sam-Son
10-17-2007, 10:29 PM
No problem Mike. The EVO3 will be awesome alone from what I have read, even without the DSSR.

With a newly assembled OEM straight selector rod, it will be almost as good. Everyone who used the EVO3 giving positive feedback were all the e34 and e28 guys, none of them are using the DSSR since it's not available for those models.

I have rebuilt a few OEM 5 spped gear shift assemblies, and that alone feels good and is practical, so just imagine the UUC SSK with the upgraded design. :D
I think I might need a new selector rod be cause my shifter has alot of play for some reason. And the selector rod is the only thing I can think of

Turbo Ready
10-17-2007, 10:30 PM
If you get distributorship then post link,spares are cheaper from Canada than bought in UK even with postage! Well, bruno`s are anyway.

Will do for sure Barney. I have a BMW performance website and my own BMW forums as well. With these two, I can advertise product with pricing and give tech support too.

The discussion forum will help a lot since I will post pics and procedures on every installation we do. You guys will also have the opportunity to express your views and ask questions at the same time.

I would be more than happy to help you guys in the UK.

Turbo Ready
10-17-2007, 10:41 PM
I think I might need a new selector rod be cause my shifter has alot of play for some reason. And the selector rod is the only thing I can think of

Mike, it might be a bit more than that too especially number 13

Sam-Son
10-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Mike, it might be a bit more than that too especially number 13
hmm thanks. but whats #13? if you don't mind

Turbo Ready
10-18-2007, 07:14 AM
hmm thanks. but whats #13? if you don't mind

#13 (Gear shift rod joint) is what connect the straight shift rod to the lower shift lever.

Both of these bushings where the straight shift rod connects (#10) endure torsion force ( when you shift from neutral to first or reverse) and compression and tension forces like shifting from first to second.

They take quite a bit of abuse along with the shift lever ball nylon cup.