PDA

View Full Version : EWS ???'s

playero
10-10-2007, 02:29 AM
Hi, I've got a 95 525iA, the car have been in storage for a few. The other day my son took it out and the battery was bad, he got a new one and now the car won't start. All the lights on the dash come on and everything electrical does work, but when the key is turned to start nothing happenss. I don't know much about this EWS system, but could it be at fault?? TIA.

Ferret
10-10-2007, 03:54 AM
Hi, I've got a 95 525iA, the car have been in storage for a few. The other day my son took it out and the battery was bad, he got a new one and now the car won't start. All the lights on the dash come on and everything electrical does work, but when the key is turned to start nothing happenss. I don't know much about this EWS system, but could it be at fault?? TIA.

I thought the EWS system allowed you to kick over the starter motor, it just actually inhibited the ECU from fuel and spark?

bmwrp8
10-10-2007, 04:45 AM
I thought the EWS system allowed you to kick over the starter motor, it just actually inhibited the ECU from fuel and spark?

nope even starter motor...dunno about the e34's since i don't have one in my 525 but my '98 e36 has it.

Ferret
10-10-2007, 05:19 AM
nope even starter motor...dunno about the e34's since i don't have one in my 525 but my '98 e36 has it.

The reason I asked the above was because I thought there were different versions of EWS I/II/III? of which the E36 had II/III only fitted to it?

playero
10-10-2007, 05:21 AM
I didn't know my car has this until I ordered the EAT chip and Mark literally walked me thru the check to see if it had it. Now I know why I had to pay $65 for a key and it took the dealer about 3 weeks to get it. i thought I was being s@#$%d about it. I will like to know if this is what is going on before my mechanic starts tearing it appart and sugests for me to buy another computer when all I will need is to have this thing "realign" again.

Ferret
10-10-2007, 05:28 AM
I didn't know my car has this until I ordered the EAT chip and Mark literally walked me thru the check to see if it had it. Now I know why I had to pay $65 for a key and it took the dealer about 3 weeks to get it. i thought I was being s@#$%d about it. I will like to know if this is what is going on before my mechanic starts tearing it appart and sugests for me to buy another computer when all I will need is to have this thing "realign" again.

Okay, food for thought:

Most of the key based immobilisers don't cause the starter motor to immobilise, my TDs is fitted with the transponder keys, and I have a duff spare key without a transponder in it. It quite happily turns the car over on the starter, but the engine wont fire.

If you have an alarm system fitted, this may be causing the interrupt as you've changed the battery and reset it!

bmwrp8
10-10-2007, 05:52 AM
The reason I asked the above was because I thought there were different versions of EWS I/II/III? of which the E36 had II/III only fitted to it?

hmmm.. that i have no clue:( i thought all was the same.

playero
10-10-2007, 06:14 AM
OK, so I think I better have my mech look into testing the starter and see if this is the fault. I have no clue how this EWS work, so the inquiry. The car do not have an alarm on it so this is out. I hope is something simply, I need this car working by nov. as I will be home by then..:p

bmwrp8
10-10-2007, 06:22 AM
OK, so I think I better have my mech look into testing the starter and see if this is the fault. I have no clue how this EWS work, so the inquiry. The car do not have an alarm on it so this is out. I hope is something simply, I need this car working by nov. as I will be home by then..:p

try to use your spare key. thats what i did in my e36 and it worked..

shogun
10-10-2007, 06:36 AM
here
Drive Away Protection System (EWS)
Model: EWS I/EWS II/EWS III/EWS III D
E31/E34/E36/E38/E39/E46/E52/E53
Production Date: All since 1/94

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/BMW_EWS.pdf#search=

Ferret
10-10-2007, 07:11 AM
here
Drive Away Protection System (EWS)
Model: EWS I/EWS II/EWS III/EWS III D
E31/E34/E36/E38/E39/E46/E52/E53
Production Date: All since 1/94

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/BMW_EWS.pdf#search=

Excellent link shogun!
*goes off to steal an EWS1 car*

Explains why you can just order keys from the factory with no vehicle programming on EWS II cars though...

I'm a little confused about the dates though - my car is definitely fitted with EWS II and was made early '94 - I wonder if that's anything to do with the Diesel ECU.

playero
10-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Thanks guys, thanks shogun for the link. i have seen it before but have no idea what to look for and since I'm not homw I can't do much. I was just wondering if this system will disable the starter completly, but for I gather it does not, just the DME, so the engine should at least turn over. I got the car used, so I only got one key with it and the one I got from the dealer. Tried both (well, my son) so far and no luck.....

playero
10-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Thanks guys, thanks shogun for the link. i have seen it before but have no idea what to look for and since I'm not home now I can't do much. I was just wondering if this system will disable the starter completly, but for I gather it does not, just the DME, so the engine should at least turn over. I got the car used, so I only got one key with it and the one I got from the dealer. Tried both (well, my son) so far and no luck.....

shogun
10-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Excellent link shogun!
*goes off to steal an EWS1 car*

Explains why you can just order keys from the factory with no vehicle programming on EWS II cars though...

doe not help much if real experts steal it:

People who thought their BMW’s sophisticated laser cut key system would keep their cars… well theirs… need to think again.

These brainiac German guys demonstrate quite clearly how to break into any modern BMW in a matter of seconds with a tool kit that costs about $1,200.

http://onemansblog.com/2007/01/03/bmws-laser-cut-key-system-defeated-easily/

bmwrp8
10-10-2007, 08:18 AM
doe not help much if real experts steal it:

People who thought their BMW’s sophisticated laser cut key system would keep their cars… well theirs… need to think again.

These brainiac German guys demonstrate quite clearly how to break into any modern BMW in a matter of seconds with a tool kit that costs about $1,200.

http://onemansblog.com/2007/01/03/bmws-laser-cut-key-system-defeated-easily/

doesn't really matter if they know how to steal bmw's , I have a good security system:D
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i85/bmwrp8/Sniper20cat.jpg