PDA

View Full Version : Windshield washer tank leaking - can't figure out from where

repenttokyo
10-09-2007, 09:09 PM
My windshield washer tank won't hold fluid for very long anymore ever since some yahoo at a garage filled the reservoir with a hose instead of pouring in fluid from a jug. Aany idea where I ahould be looking for leaks? I have taken it out and tried to see where it leaks from, but no dice. Is there any way to plug the system that goes to the headlights so that i just have washer fluid spraying on my windshield?

Torque
10-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Method of filling and fluid that was put in there doesn't matter ... unless we're talking hydrochloric acid ... that could probably eat through it.

Take it out again, fill it and stand it up in the same position like it sits in the car and see where it's leaking out of?

repenttokyo
10-09-2007, 09:19 PM
i did that, couldn't see where it was leaking from. it might be leaking from somewhere in the labyrinth that goes to the headlight washers - it would be great to know the best way to block those off.

i was worried the pressure from the nozzle dislodged an o ring on the inside of the tank or something, because it was immediately after that filling that it started to leak. by the end of the next day it was empty.

Jehu
10-09-2007, 09:36 PM
I replaced the washer pump/motor and that fixed my leak. it was leaking somehow i never saw exactly but i replaced it and the leaking ceased. Where it fits into the tank apprently developed a crack where the hose fit on i guess maybe. Got the pump used from Euro Depot for about $10... mabe gale has one from what he's parting out.

repenttokyo
10-10-2007, 07:55 AM
i replaced my pump too last year because it was leaking from there when i bought it - i don't think it would have sprung a leak from that spot again in such a short time.

Elekta
10-10-2007, 08:56 AM
I bet it's the tee behind the right fog light. Sadly you have to remove the bumper cover to fix it. If you have the double washers that do the fogs first, and then the headlights, that plumbing behind the bumper cover is where mine failed. Remember the big tank feeds the little tank, and if the Tee is leaking it all goes out. Is the puddle forward right, or just under the big tank?

Ross
10-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Check the grommet where the pump goes in.

repenttokyo
10-10-2007, 09:50 AM
I bet it's the tee behind the right fog light. Sadly you have to remove the bumper cover to fix it. If you have the double washers that do the fogs first, and then the headlights, that plumbing behind the bumper cover is where mine failed. Remember the big tank feeds the little tank, and if the Tee is leaking it all goes out. Is the puddle forward right, or just under the big tank?

the puddle is usually forward right - but during the winter it used to leak constantly out of the left headlight washer, which was super annoying. I am really considering just blocking off the entire headlight washing system. Can I just plug where it feeds the T?

I will check the grommet too, thanks Ross.

TC535i
10-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Sometimes the pumps themselves leak internally. You might just need a new pump.

repenttokyo
10-10-2007, 10:23 AM

ok, i've isolated the leak - it's the part under the bumper, near the fog light, where 2 black tubes connect to what looks like some kind of white switch. Is this the Tee you are referring to? It looks like, at first glance, that it is leaking from one of the black tubes.

whiskychaser
10-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Coming up to winter and with all the salt they spread on the roads here I wouldnt mind retrofitting headlamp washers. Do they just tee off the line to the windscreen washers? I'm not for drilling holes in the front bumper for the jets but if its a simple fix its well worth it. Anyone put me straight?

Elekta
10-10-2007, 12:11 PM
ok, i've isolated the leak - it's the part under the bumper, near the fog light, where 2 black tubes connect to what looks like some kind of white switch. Is this the Tee you are referring to? It looks like, at first glance, that it is leaking from one of the black tubes.

yep, start there by replacing the hose clamps with new ones, maybe a little sealant around the male tee parts. If that doesn't fix it, then it's one of the pumps. There is also a little relay deal that switches the flow from the fogs to the headlights that leak.

Almost all of the used parts I have bought to maintain my headlight washer system have failed. Sadly it's new from the stealer or custom plumbing in a better grade than Home Depot.

repenttokyo
10-10-2007, 12:27 PM
i'll start by replacing the clamps and see if that helps, i really appreciate your help.

repenttokyo
11-12-2007, 08:36 PM
I found that the clamps were just too difficult to get to without removing the bumper, so I removed the pump for the headlight washers and I sealed the hole. It no longer leaks, and I no longer have functional headlight washers. A fair deal in my opinion.