PDA

View Full Version : Ok, turbo question

wjbell
10-09-2007, 01:11 PM
I was always wondering about a turbo for my 3.5. I was thinking it would be nice to find a complete setup out of a Euro 745 that would just bolt up. I want something as stock as possible, don't want any electronics where I have to dial in my mixture or tune in manually, Just a dependable turbo setup for a stock 3.5L.

A few questions... Where could I get a setup like this? Would it use a lot more fuel or would the mileage be better because the motor's more efficient? Any chance of damaging the stock 3.5L with a low boost setup?

Oh, and how much would a setup like this cost?

NovceGuru
10-09-2007, 01:44 PM
http://turbochargingdynamics.com/

clevertd
10-09-2007, 09:16 PM
745i set up can be found for cheap on eBay, but you get what you pay for. Last one on there I saw plainly stated the manifold was cracked.

Dave M
10-10-2007, 06:42 AM
OK, someone here has just done this (salvaged the 745 tubo from a scrapyard to mate with an M30). The name is eluding me at the moment. Who can think of it first?

M20Turbo
10-10-2007, 09:16 AM
GALE

OK, someone here has just done this (salvaged the 745 tubo from a scrapyard to mate with an M30). The name is eluding me at the moment. Who can think of it first?

Bin_jammin
10-10-2007, 01:38 PM
GALE

Gale can think of it first? :)

M20Turbo
10-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Yes, Gale will be that person. Take a look at his sig.

Gale can think of it first? :)

gale
10-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Yes, it was I who snagged the complete e23 turbo business at the local U-Pull-it for a rediculously low price ($115). It came off an unmolested complete totally stock 1983 745i:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/turbo1.jpg

I also have the DME & complete wire harness. I went back later & got the head & intake manifold for $29 & oil cooler & e23 filter cannister for another $15 -- I hate getting ripped :p

The turbo is toast but rebuildable to the tune of $575. Everything else should be mostly nuts & bolts, I hope I don't have to vary from stock too much.

I haven't figured out all the details yet of mating it to my e32. The receiver dryer sits where the intercooler mounts in the e23. I'm thinking about flycutting the driver's side of the e23 intake plenum and moving the throttle body over there & blanking off the passenger side. Then I can mount the intercooler on the driver's side where there's plenty of room. The longer I drag my feet getting this thing installed, the more crap I'm going to forget about how everything hooks up, but it should be pretty intuitive, except for how to control the beast.

My 1st attempt once I get it running is to see how badly it misbehaves with 24 lb injectors & the stock e32 -179 DME, I really don't want to retrofit the older e23 harness & DME, so may see if Mark or Dinan or a local shop can map me a new chip. I also really don't want to mess with a Mega Squirt on my own to get it working, may just have to bite the bullet & let a local tuner have it for a week to sort it out. I'm planning on using the stock 6.5 +/- psi boost so I don't have to mess with the head or pistons.

Not sure where you'd start looking. Autobahn (San Diego) might get them in on occasion.

Bin_jammin
10-10-2007, 09:54 PM
On an m30 you ought to be able to run well over 7psi with no problems. Also, you seem to have a reasonably priced pick-a-part near you, you can likely replace that dead unit with something a little more modern for little cash outlay. I don't know that that filter cannister will work with your later m30, I seem to recall them being non-interchangeable. There should be plugs you can remove from the side of your canister to use as a supply line for the turbo if that's what you're looking for.

wjbell
10-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Yes, it was I who snagged the complete e23 turbo business at the local U-Pull-it for a rediculously low price ($115). It came off an unmolested complete totally stock 1983 745i:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/turbo1.jpg

I also have the DME & complete wire harness. I went back later & got the head & intake manifold for $29 & oil cooler & e23 filter cannister for another $15 -- I hate getting ripped :p

The turbo is toast but rebuildable to the tune of $575. Everything else should be mostly nuts & bolts, I hope I don't have to vary from stock too much.

I haven't figured out all the details yet of mating it to my e32. The receiver dryer sits where the intercooler mounts in the e23. I'm thinking about flycutting the driver's side of the e23 intake plenum and moving the throttle body over there & blanking off the passenger side. Then I can mount the intercooler on the driver's side where there's plenty of room. The longer I drag my feet getting this thing installed, the more crap I'm going to forget about how everything hooks up, but it should be pretty intuitive, except for how to control the beast.

My 1st attempt once I get it running is to see how badly it misbehaves with 24 lb injectors & the stock e32 -179 DME, I really don't want to retrofit the older e23 harness & DME, so may see if Mark or Dinan or a local shop can map me a new chip. I also really don't want to mess with a Mega Squirt on my own to get it working, may just have to bite the bullet & let a local tuner have it for a week to sort it out. I'm planning on using the stock 6.5 +/- psi boost so I don't have to mess with the head or pistons.

Not sure where you'd start looking. Autobahn (San Diego) might get them in on occasion.

OK, I'll give you $200 plus shipping for the whole lot. A guy's got to make a profit, after all, right? ;)

jjdickm
10-10-2007, 11:40 PM
on ebay with a good turbo it goes from 1500.00-2000.00. I looked into this system and decided to go with a custom kit. allot more but worth it.

Incantation
10-11-2007, 01:17 PM
i love how they have no dyno charts

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-11-2007, 03:52 PM
This might seem daft but how about using a TDS intercooler and radiator, the whole thing will obviously bolt in and is peanuts in UK,post not that bad either.Intercooler goes under rad,and rad can come with oil cooler either for `box or in my case used it for extra cooler for turbo return pipe.