PDA

View Full Version : OT: anyone know wherr i can get bentley's download for a Land Rover?

e34.535i.sport
10-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Downloaded the bentley manual for the e34 recently and its amazing!

Just on the off chance... Wondering if there's one for a P reg Land Rover Discovery - anyone know if there's any useful links about where i can get it?

whiskychaser
10-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Downloaded the bentley manual for the e34 recently and its amazing!

Just on the off chance... Wondering if there's one for a P reg Land Rover Discovery - anyone know if there's any useful links about where i can get it?
The 'P' a prefix or suffix? Dont suppose it matters much. Not sure that Bentleys did a manual for the Land Rover. Good look in your search but if you dont find it maybe this might be of interest:
http://www.landroverbookshop.com/Search.asp?types=yes&type=Workshop+Manuals

Ferret
10-10-2007, 01:57 AM
Wondering if there's one for a P reg Land Rover Discovery

S1 Disco?

*gets the holy water and crucifix out*

Does your disco have the built in foot-shower that most of them had? My parents had an M plate disco, and like most of them the windscreen was never sealed properly at the factory. Every time it rained water ran down the back of the dash and dripped off the bulkead right above the gas pedal.

Gearbox blew at 70k, the clutch tore the splines clean off the input shaft (wtf?)

Headgasket went at 80k pretty spectacularly - pissing oil out the side of the block :o

Above water problem also affected passenger side and water would run through the alarm ECU - dont know if you've managed to set your alarm off yet, but twin air horns are LOUD at 3am, 4am, 5am... and on our alarm you couldnt disconnect the alarm unit cos the immobiliser would kick in.

If you get chance/money - rip out the visco fan and replace it with a decent kenlowe fan - we did and immediately got another 5-10 mpg cos the fan's are soo bloody big.

Keep your tailgate locks/release mechanism well lubed up - they tend to rust after a few years and the whole mechanism sticks meaning you've gotta strip the lot out from the inside :( absoloute bitch of a job.

Other than these minor (!) irritations, it was a damned good car, most of the time. Not bad mpg for such a clunker car and diesel torque means it wasnt that slow.

Ross
10-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Service procedures for these are simply a tutorial on hammer wielding and fire starting.

shogun
10-10-2007, 10:45 AM
http://www.electronicmanuals.co.uk/land-rover-c-29.html

e34.535i.sport
10-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Hey there the car isn't mine (i would never have a 4x4 not my cup of tea to be honest), i'm researching for a friend who's having trouble with a few things - mainly the heater's blowing cold rather than warm

Thanks for the links though efforts much appreciated i'll pass them on. I'm glad its not just me that is having some car issues of late! :p

Dan in NZ
10-10-2007, 11:48 PM
The discos have a valve that shuts off water flow to the heater core if both temperature dials are set to cold. Perhaps a fault with the valve or switch?

Heater is pretty low tech, works old-school by mixing hot and cold air. If the valve was at fault you could probably just remove it.

Sam-Son
10-11-2007, 12:06 AM
I have a question for you British guys. What are the different Letters of registration for? The years the cars were produced?

Dan in NZ
10-11-2007, 12:39 AM
I've often wondered about those British letter registrations too...

And Ferret, my 98 D1 has the built in shower too... Windscreen leaks from the top on the passenger side, air conditioning drains through the dashboard on the drivers side. The A/C drains have little rubber one-way valves that are supposed to stop water coming into the car when driving through rivers, but in fact just continually block up with road dust - filling the car with a/c water instead. They're a bitch to clean too, right up beside the transfer case.

Ferret
10-11-2007, 01:15 AM
I have a question for you British guys. What are the different Letters of registration for? The years the cars were produced?

There are two current systems in use, and one old one that you rarely see:

Really old:
AAA 999X - AAA = area code, 999=Unique ID, X=year code

Just gone out of service (in '02 I think, someone correct me):
X999 AAA - Same as above

Currently in service:
AA99 XXX - AA = Area Code, 99 = year, XXX = Unique ID

When someone refers to an M or an E plate say, they're referring to the system that's just gone out of service - if you hear '02 plate they're referring to the new system.

On the system that's just gone out and 'M' plate would be last half of '93 and first half of '94 (runs for one year from roughly the middle of a year) 'G' plate would be '88 to '89 (I may be 1 year out with these, but you get the picture!)

In the UK the license plate is issued to the vehicle not the owner - and stays with the vehicle for it's life or until someone either writes it off or bodges its chassis. Vehicles are issued with tax 'discs' which are a paper disc you have to display in your front windscreen. However, these are now kinda redundant as recently they've introduced a system that the police can immediately tell your tax, insurance, MOT status and registered owner in half a second just with their ANPR software. Another spytastic system the UK govt just introduced. However - it does mean that the illegal uninsured drivers get locked up a lot quicker.

The two previous systems that ran, there were exceptions to the lettering scheme that were not allowed due to ambiguity, such as I, Q and O. If you change the parameters of a vehicles chassis, or custom build a vehicle - said vehicle must be put on a 'Q' plate to show that it is no longer a standard car - and this still applies as the Q plates are still being issued on the system that's just gone out.

Every year the vehicles have to go for an MOT which tests the safety of a vehicle - it's somewhat vicious as it'll immediately fail for any perforation/major rust within 2" of a major mounting point - which most garages 'interpret' to mean any rust, fail the car... unless you're giving them a backhander at which point they stick the emissions probe in someone elses car and greenlight yours with a new certificate.

You cannot legally tax your vehicle and make it road legal without - insurance and mot - and the tax disc is again issued to the car and not the owner.

There's probably a lot of mistakes in there, and some other brits should be able to correct any of them :)

e34.535i.sport
10-11-2007, 01:45 AM
[QUOTE=Ferret]
Just gone out of service (in '02 I think, someone correct me):

the 51 plate was the first, so half way through 2001 (not being pedantic here ferret just incase it seems funny).

:p