PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Cable Gromets

pgrindstaff
10-09-2007, 09:36 AM
I noticed my throttle sticking this morning and thought it would be a good idea to check it out. I found that on the bracket that the throttle cables run through the rubber or plastic gromet that keeps the cable tensioner in place is broken allowing the assemble to move backwards out of its hole and catch on the bracket causing it to stick, not good at all. I took a look through realoem and couldn't find the part I am looking for, hopefully it is replaceable. Any ideas?

Since my description is pretty hard to understand, here are a couple of pictures:

http://grindstaffp.googlepages.com/P1000254.JPGhttp://grindstaffp.googlepages.com/P1000255.JPG

neil_004
10-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Looks like it is part of 14 (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&btnr=35_0134&hg=35&fg=10).

pgrindstaff
10-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Yeah it does, but looking closer to part 16 it looks like just the part where you can adjust the tension on the cable, doesnt look like what I am looking for is there.

I went out and tested a little more and it doesnt come out all of the time, but it will only take once to have what happened in my last thread. We'll see, when I am out tomorrow I'll stop by the foreign part store and see if they can't help me find what I am looking for, though I am still open to suggestions.

Looks like it is part of 14 (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&btnr=35_0134&hg=35&fg=10).

whiskychaser
10-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Yeah it does, but looking closer to part 16 it looks like just the part where you can adjust the tension on the cable, doesnt look like what I am looking for is there.
Bracket looks like the one at the back of the head that just supports the cable. If the two grommets are the same perhaps you could swap them? Safer to be without your cruise for a couple of days rather than risk the throttle sticking open?

myles
10-09-2007, 02:22 PM
The grommet is part of the cable itself. You will need to buy a whole cable.

Don't bother trying to swap the one off your cruise because the grommet goes hard and brittle and will break if you try to remove it from the metal bracket.

pgrindstaff
10-09-2007, 02:32 PM
I was afraid of this. I can only imagine how much of a pain in the ass it is run a new cable.

Thanks for the info, time to look up running a new cable :(

Don't bother trying to swap the one off your cruise because the grommet goes hard and brittle and will break if you try to remove it from the metal bracket.

Dave M
10-09-2007, 05:05 PM
I'd be thinking hard about an alternative to threading a new throttle cable. No way I'd be heading down that dirty road for such a seamingly small issue.

Ideas that spring to mind at the moment:

1) Assuming its just pressure fit inside the gromet, find a suitable rubber gromet (may require some 'customization'), carving a slit in it to allow placement over the cable and finaly squeezing that sucker in the bracket. You'll also need to carve a depression around the circumfrence to allow it to seat properly.

2) Just wire the bugger down to the bracket..........in a nice, civilized manner ;)

Good luck it, I'm sure other ideas will follow.

Dave

whiskychaser
10-09-2007, 05:12 PM

Just out of interest I tried to remove mine and can do it easily. I'd be popping down the scrapyard to pick a couple. Probably take the bracket too for good measure and expect to pay at least £1. Bit cheaper and easier to fit than a new cable

pgrindstaff
10-09-2007, 06:00 PM
I actually opted for your number 2 option before I even came back here to see any of your suggestions. Used a couple of pieces of copper wire and wrapped them tight around the bracket and the cable, lets just say it isnt going anywhere now.

I have read that it isnt too hard of a task to replace the accelerator cable but after looking at the ACS and Cruise cable, those will be a ton of work. Unfortunately, my cables need to be replaced anyway. They are stretched and the shielding is cracked etc. For now the problem is fixed, I'll just have to see if I can get a good deal on the cables. Thanks to everyone for your advice. Tomorrow I'll post a picture of my handy work, already closed up shop for the night.

-Patrick

I'd be thinking hard about an alternative to threading a new throttle cable. No way I'd be heading down that dirty road for such a seamingly small issue.

Ideas that spring to mind at the moment:

1) Assuming its just pressure fit inside the gromet, find a suitable rubber gromet (may require some 'customization'), carving a slit in it to allow placement over the cable and finaly squeezing that sucker in the bracket. You'll also need to carve a depression around the circumfrence to allow it to seat properly.

2) Just wire the bugger down to the bracket..........in a nice, civilized manner ;)

Good luck it, I'm sure other ideas will follow.

Dave

pgrindstaff
10-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Here's a shot of my handy work. It'll work till I decide what I want to do ;)

http://grindstaffp.googlepages.com/P1000257.JPG

whiskychaser
10-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Here's a shot of my handy work. It'll work till I decide what I want to do ;)

http://grindstaffp.googlepages.com/P1000257.JPG
I'm sure it works but if I found that under my bonnet would I be happy? I rest my case

pgrindstaff
10-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Point taken. I am not a big fan of rigging stuff like this either but if it is my only option for a while so be it. Finding the throttle cable for less than $43 would be a good start. I'll have to call BMA tomorrow and see what they can do for me.

I'm sure it works but if I found that under my bonnet would I be happy? I rest my case

Robin-535im
10-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Point taken. I am not a big fan of rigging stuff like this either but if it is my only option for a while so be it. Finding the throttle cable for less than $43 would be a good start. I'll have to call BMA tomorrow and see what they can do for me.
Let us know how hard it is to replace the throttle cable. I'm interested in doing this myself.

shogun
10-14-2007, 07:31 PM
copied from Bimmerboard E32 forum, comment by a 740 owner:

Well I finally got it! I went to O'Rielly Auto Parts and bought a DORMAN 42316 grommet from the HELP section. I cut a 1/16 off the top and split the grommet down the side cutting about 3/16 section out (reducing the I.D. of the hole to 5/16). I used a butter knife to work the grommet into the bracket holes. This worked like a charm!
Dowatt

pgrindstaff
10-15-2007, 08:20 AM
That sounds a lot easier than what I am going to try tackling this weekend. I ordered all three cables, throttle, asc, and cruise, and will hopefully be replacing the cables this weekend.

I don't think replacing the throttle cable will be too bad seeing as not that much has to be moved out of the way. ASC and cruise on the other hand look like a royal pain seeing as the master cylinder and possibly other things are in the way. Since I haven't been able to find any useful directions for this procedure I'll be sure to document it and make it available for those of you who plan on doing this job.

copied from Bimmerboard E32 forum, comment by a 740 owner:

Well I finally got it! I went to O'Rielly Auto Parts and bought a DORMAN 42316 grommet from the HELP section. I cut a 1/16 off the top and split the grommet down the side cutting about 3/16 section out (reducing the I.D. of the hole to 5/16). I used a butter knife to work the grommet into the bracket holes. This worked like a charm!
Dowatt

shogun
10-15-2007, 09:12 AM
download this pic, I will delete it later
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/shogun_bucket/?action=view&current=7410916.jpg

pgrindstaff
10-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks, that should help

download this pic, I will delete it later
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/shogun_bucket/?action=view&current=7410916.jpg